Author Topic: My Dog.  (Read 2012 times)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
My Dog.
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
Max has been with me 24/7 for 10 years.  It's killing me seeing him succumbing to age. 
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Re: My Dog.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
I know it's hard. but try to focus on the years you had together.
the bus driver killed my rex a 2yr.old black german sheppard,
an buddy that was hard,

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
I grew up with a Marine veterinarian on a farm.  Death is part of it.  But the process of dying is tough.  I was Hospice for awhile.  I could handle the dying.  The living ones are the ones that killed me.  Still does.  Now I'm one.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
I have had five superb dogs in the last 40 years.  Four of them were hunting dogs that were my best friends and I mourned their loss more than the deaths of some people that I knew.  I understand that watching them go is hard to deal with.  When I lost my last hunting dog and had a heart attack shortly before he died I decided to have no more dogs as I was fearful that I would not be around for a dogs whole life.  Turns out I was wrong but now it is too late to get another friend.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 06:41:26 AM »
As I watch Max get more and more feeble,  I have started to scan rescues from here to TX.  I'm still on the fence on whether to get a puppy or a senior.  I will get another rescue.  One of the Krac's family has heelers having heelers all the time.  But I think a rescued heeler is the way I'm going to go.  But I have to get through taking care of Max first.

Dogs just don't live long enough.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Indeed!  Dogs are wonderful animals, it's a shame they have such short lives.  But they cram several lifetimes of love and companionship into those few years!

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Mill File+
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »
I've watched humans die and I've watched dogs die.  Dogs do it better. 

The one we have now is pretty worthless except that he's loyal to a fault, doesn't bark, dig, chase cats or make a nuisance of himself.  I never have to call him twice for supper and even though it's just dry dog food, he appreciates it like it was a pork chop cooked just for him. 

When he's gone, like wsdstan, there won't be another one.  It's a sad thing when a dog outlives his owner. 

This past Thanksgiving one of my nieces brought her new 9 mo old Golden Retriever. #1 wife said that when she saw her she wanted to give me one for Christmas.  After being around the puppy for three days, she had changed her mind.  Just as well, I'm beyond the puppy training stage...

A rescue deserves a good guy to make the rest of their life well...

Hope you find one.

Alan

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
Beautifully composed post, Alan! :hail:   I couldn?t have said it better, myself!  I'm old and I just couldn?t take it all again, so it seems we're on the same page. O:-)

Those knowing, hazel, English Springer Spaniel eyes......still haunt me. :-\
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 01:56:59 AM »
One of Kelly's nieces has a young Irish Setter.  She had no idea how to train him.  The dog's a psycho.  A nice psycho.  But a first class nutjob.  We spent Thanksgiving with them.  Even Max had had it with Cowboy after the first day.  Setters are bred to have "soft" mouths.  Heelers are not.  They draw blood.  They go through 2 fear phases.  They will bite when they're scared.  That's why you see so many dumped at the pound.  That cute little puppy becomes a velociraptor and you had better be ready.  They are high strung and need beaucoup recreation.  Physical and mental.  They are too smart for their pants.  Lock them in the house and they will tear it apart.  Lock them in a cage and you will end up with a "damaged" dog. 

Can I do it again right with a heeler puppy?  I don't know.  They are one owner dogs.  They bond and that's that.  But a senior might come with a lot of issues.  I guess I'll just go with the flow and see where it takes me.  For now, my best friend needs me.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 08:28:54 AM »
My son is having his 15 year old Weimaraner/Pit mix put down today.  Blind, deaf, crippled.  It?s time.  Knowing when to say goodbye is part of owning a dog. 

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »
Give him my sympathy.  It's a bad time.

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
sorry to hear that.  just remember all the good times,

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 01:51:59 PM »
Hang on a second. Max needs a boost up to the sofa.  Thanks.

Offline woodsrunner

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 04:15:53 PM »
I still grieve the loss of my blue heeler Zip...i have had a few heeler dogs over the years, but there was something special about Zipper and he can never be replaced.
My red heeler Dinga Dude has been a real blessing and has grown into a close companion, but i Still miss deeply my old friend :'(
Take heart Tony...
'At play in the fields of the Lord'
Save a Logger...Eat a Tree Hugger!