Author Topic: Lost Young Man  (Read 2139 times)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Lost Young Man
« on: December 13, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
Kelly's nephew is in crisis.  His nutball of a wife left him saying, "You're too nice."  Most of the family could accommodate her and be mean.  Anyway.  I tried to get him to come down to FL and camp.  We talked a lot about Rendezvous.  He's an anthropologist.  But he's circling the drain.  I told him he had to do something.  He went primitive. Archery with a recurve first.  Leather work to make his gear (Not bad at all for a first attempt).  Now he's working on mocs. 

He could go a lot of ways here.  Alcohol, drugs, suicide but he's not really the type and he has a huge support group.

So give me some more ideas to talk about to keep him busy, engaged, and out of the abyss.  I thought the Rendezvous would be just the thing.  Maybe he's not ready.

At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
Re: Lost Young Man
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:49:13 PM »
Y'all got any pretty girls in Florida?

Alan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
There are lots of pretty girls down at the First Baptist church just waiting for a young man who is "Too Nice".

Alan

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »
Alan.  If only.  He's indoctrinated.  Liberal.  Vegan.  He'll likely vote Bernie.  Snowflake.   Not many Christians in that crowd.  But heck.  It wouldn't hurt to try,. Would it, brother?

If I could get him to FL or NC next summer,  I know he'd like shooting a .22.  Maybe get him to a real low key prayer/ self help group?

Maybe I'm dreaming.  Maybe that's my next assignment.  lol.

Ever read a, "Purpose Driven Life"?

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
Chances are it was a girl that got him started on all that girly stuff. 

It'll be a girl that will open his heart and stomach to southern food and a pretty southern smile. 

A pretty girl can make a Saint into a sinner and a sinner into a Saint. 

Pretty girls are my favorite (But they're just for looking at for a long time now).

Alan

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
They were married 14 years and "together" longer than that.

She was a very southern girl.   Louisiana Bayou southern.  Family land.

Yes. It'll be a woman that pulls him up.

But right now,  we take up the slack as best we can.

Part of the hurt is he is the first to get a divorce in his family.

Anyway.  I'm trained in the counseling he needs but you can't make them drink.  It's up to them and time.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 05:54:29 PM »
Let's lighten this up a bit.

Kelly's best friend wanted to date my best friend.  It was a total set up.  Kelly said she'd drive.   She showed up at my house in a jacked up redneck mudder Chevy.  I'm a Ford man.  Drive in.  Jaws.  Lounge chairs in the bed and a cooler between us.  The Guilty snuck off to the woods and I found out Kelly likes trucks, beer, fishing, and camping.  I knew I was going to marry her.  That was 40 years ago. 

Happy.

I quit writing music a long time ago but that has everything a country song needs.  hmmmm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:01:50 PM by madmax »

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
45 years ago #1 wife and I found that we could fight with each other very well.  We decided to keep at it.  Still works.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
I like the religious aspect to build a foundation for someone in crisis.  The other thing is to keep them close so they are not left with any time to sit a stew about life when it goes south.

Being a liberal vegan is a problem and an opportunity but I have no experience in that area.  Good luck with this Tony.

Pretty girls are great but not always on the rebound.  It takes some time to let 14 years and more settle down.   
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
I think he may get a kick out of these books:

Survival Skills of Native California
The Universal Tool Kit: Out of Africa to Native California
A View to the Past: Experience and Experiment in Primitive Technology

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 03:02:58 AM »
I think he may get a kick out of these books:

Survival Skills of Native California
The Universal Tool Kit: Out of Africa to Native California
A View to the Past: Experience and Experiment in Primitive Technology

- Woodsorrel

I'll pass those along.  Thanks.  I may also suggest some books on the southern Appalachians.  My stomping grounds and a place he camped every summer growing up.  Reading would be a good distraction.  Pretty sure he's a reader.

It's funny you suggested those.  Another uncle of his sold everything he had and moved to California about the same time this went down.  He was convinced that he was going to grow weed and make a fortune.  Convinced his nephew to come out and get in the deal.  Wasn't quite the road to riches he thought.  Nephew went back home (Mississippi).

Like I said, he has a big support group and everybody wants to help.  But really it's our job to keep him afloat until he gets his bearings.

Did I mention student loan debts?  And yes, it's our (boomers) fault he's is in so deep.  sigh.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »
Madmax, I really appreciate your outlook.  We can't un-ring a bell.  But we can soldier on and help others along the way.

Unfortunately, I am going through my own trials.  I seriously injured myself hiking in a remote forest and had to self-rescue.  Now I'm just trying to heal enough to get back on the trail.  Doctors, doctors, and more doctors...   :)

https://www.natureoutside.com/solo-hiking-accident-hike-alone/

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Wow.

Several of us in the Kracaneuner Tribe have been backing off solo trips.  Fortunately we all have had many many days in the woods alone.  We're just glad we're still here to get out.  And even if we're laid up we can show up at a camp and there are many hands to help with that tent/ firewood/ hike. That support group is great.  In any situation we find ourselves in life.

Cool that you drew that connection with nephew problems.

Get well.  Be safe.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »
Liberals are usually toxic, even if they are family. 

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »
Liberals are usually toxic, even if they are family.

I'm going to convert him.  Just wait and see.  He's still malliable. 

BTW brother.  I knew you wouldn't buy into this.  But I, at the very least, owe it to Kelly and her family.  Pretty sure you'll agree with that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:01:01 PM by madmax »

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
Madmax, I really appreciate your outlook.  We can't un-ring a bell.  But we can soldier on and help others along the way.

Unfortunately, I am going through my own trials.  I seriously injured myself hiking in a remote forest and had to self-rescue.  Now I'm just trying to heal enough to get back on the trail.  Doctors, doctors, and more doctors...   :)

https://www.natureoutside.com/solo-hiking-accident-hike-alone/

- Woodsorrel

I "solo" all kinds of stuff.  Hike, hunt, fish, etc... I go by myself because the guys I like to go with are grown up and have families and jobs and and and....

The way I figure it, I'm pretty safe in the woods or on the water.  It's on the highway getting to and coming back from the jumping off place where I'm likely to get zapped. 

I don't worry about the outing.  My concern is the things I have no control over.  Other drivers. 

Alan

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »

I "solo" all kinds of stuff.  Hike, hunt, fish, etc... I go by myself because the guys I like to go with are grown up and have families and jobs and and and....

The way I figure it, I'm pretty safe in the woods or on the water.  It's on the highway getting to and coming back from the jumping off place where I'm likely to get zapped. 

I don't worry about the outing.  My concern is the things I have no control over.  Other drivers. 

Alan

Alan, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  But despite the favorable odds, it's a terrible feeling when are alone, your foot is broken in three places, and you are several miles from your car.

I don't want to stray from the original topic of this thread.  So it may warrant a different thread to discuss "solo hiking" and "solo backpacking."

- Woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »
Oh, I'm not making light of your fall or the situation you found yourself in afterwards. We all, at times, take for granted the things we are able to do.  Abruptly take something away like walking, and a walk in the park becomes something else. 

Alan

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:33 AM »
Oh, I'm not making light of your fall or the situation you found yourself in afterwards. We all, at times, take for granted the things we are able to do.  Abruptly take something away like walking, and a walk in the park becomes something else. 

Alan

Boy I found that out.  But maybe it was a good thing to learn my limitations at this age...er...point.  Even squirrel hunting has become an exercise in care.  Snake boots, overpriced hiking poles, and walking carefully (like not bounding over logs).  I'm really trying to grow old gracefully with dignity.  But in my head I'm a bulletproof 25 year old

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
My wife has always been pretty sturdy for a skinny little girl and she does a lot of things that older people usually don't do.  We have been together for 52 years and just this winter I suggested that she use our cross  country ski poles to get out to do her barn chores when there is a lot of snow and deep drifts at the farm.  She started using them and they do help her avoid falling over in the deeper drifts.

What does this have to do with the Lost Young Man?  It shows that help in the right area at the right time with something to stabilize your steps in life can be worth a lot more than just propping you up.  It gives you hope.  It builds confidence that you can still do things even though your life has changed.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
Exactly.

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
I think you summed it up, wsdstan.

- Woodsorrel

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »
Thanks.

Glad your foot is healing up well Woodsorrel.  Your issue reminded me of the guy whose arm was caught in the big rock and cut it off to get out of the mess he was in.  Glad you didn't have to do that and were able to hobble out on your own.
(Mark Twain)

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
Thanks.

Glad your foot is healing up well Woodsorrel.  Your issue reminded me of the guy whose arm was caught in the big rock and cut it off to get out of the mess he was in.  Glad you didn't have to do that and were able to hobble out on your own.

Wsdstan, I'm glad I didn't need to cut off my foot, too.  Otherwise I would only be able to hike in circles!  :)

I see more doctors this week.  It turns out I fractured my foot in three places.  It may be several months before I'm back on the trail.   :(

But this morning, I parked a short walk from a large rock in a secluded clearing in the redwood forest.  I was able to hobble onto the rock with a thermos of hot chocolate, a bagel/egg/cheese sandwich, and my sheepskin sit-pad.  I was able to have breakfast in the sun, even if I couldn't do any hiking <sigh>.  I may need to seek out similar opportunities, as my physical limitations allow.

- Woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2019, 08:50:30 PM »
40 years ago I broke my foot, or rather a cow broke it by stepping on it and rolling it.  As long as I had the boot on it didn't hurt too much.  Getting the boot off hurt a lot...  When I got to the doctor, he x-rayed it and told me it was indeed broken (I don't remember how many of those little bones were broken but it was more than one).  I asked him what he was going to do, cast, splint, what?  He said, "Nothing.  Won't do any good to cast it.  Just try to stay off of it when you can and don't let any more cows step on it."

So, I went home with a script for some fairly decent pain pills and wore it till it healed up.  No ill effects resulted. 

About two years ago I was demoing a wood fence with a 2# sledge.  It slipped and hit right on top of the same foot.  I had on crocs...  a knot about the size of a tennis ball swelled up almost immediately.  I was sure it was broken ... again.

X-rays showed no broken bones.  Now that one hurt and I hobbled for two weeks and couldn't get a boot on for almost a year. 

Seems like pain and injury go along with an active lifestyle. 

If I woke up some morning and didn't hurt, I'd check my pulse...

Alan

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2019, 09:08:08 PM »
Alan, thanks for the encouragement.  :)

The best outcome for me is that the doctor says much the same thing yours did:  rest and time.  Worst case is surgery.  Do you remember the definition of "minor surgery"?  Minor surgery is surgery that happens to someone else.  :)

I'm glad madmax started this thread.  Although it took a bit of a turn, it's comforting to learn others have gone through similar trials and come out the other side.

- Woodsorrel

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2019, 04:00:26 AM »
I don't mind a turn in the thread.  Let her run her course.

One night I was going to bed and suddenly did a face plant.  The room was spinning.  It was so bad that I couldn't crawl to the bed.  I eventually made it but then nausea set in.  Man, vertigo is no joke.  I went to 2 different doctors.  My crystals in my ears were out of alignment.  Sounded like bunk to me.  Still does, but it is a thing.  I did the goofy exercises they  prescribed and sure enough I got functional.  But it still raises it's ugly head once in a while.  The big bummer is my independence to go solo is over.  I still think about trips now and then, but in reality, if I got vertigo out there there is no way I could self extract.  I don't even want to think about that happening on a 3 day SUP solo.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2019, 06:44:51 AM »
There's a couple of things I can't do any more that I could do fine when I was 20. There's a whole bunch of things I did when I was 20 that I wouldn't dream of doing now (most of them, in retrospect, I'm amazed that I got away with doing then).

It's staggering sometimes when I look back and think about how many times I should have been dead or worse.

Alan

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
mabey he needs to trade that cajun queen for a georgia peach.
i just thank God i have all you for my support group
could'nt ask for better.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
Funny how as you older the more you appreciate family and friends.

The people in the Kracaneuner Tribe are some of the best friends I have ever had.

Nephew hasn't texted ne in awhile.  I guess that's good.  His mom called and asked about what to get him at Tandy and Weaver.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
I'm happy to report nephew is coming to FL for a few weeks.  We're going to get some leather projects done for him, get him suited up pre-1840, and hit the rendezvous for 10 days.  Full immersion baby.  I'm going to get him into every "seminar" I can.  I think he's really going to like it.  His texts the last few days have been very upbeat.  The last time he camped was with me on a canoe trip 20 years ago.  Sewing his lean to up this weekend.

Happy New Year!

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
I'm happy to report nephew is coming to FL for a few weeks.  We're going to get some leather projects done for him, get him suited up pre-1840, and hit the rendezvous for 10 days.  Full immersion baby.  I'm going to get him into every "seminar" I can.  I think he's really going to like it.  His texts the last few days have been very upbeat.  The last time he camped was with me on a canoe trip 20 years ago.  Sewing his lean to up this weekend.

Happy New Year!

That sounds like fun!  Do you have room for another nephew?  :)

Here's a simple project the two of you might want to tackle during his visit.  If the weather is nice, the two of you can do this outside:

https://www.natureoutside.com/how-to-make-a-deerskin-pouch-5-easy-steps/

- Woodsorrel

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »
woodsorrel, that is one of the projects I'd like him to do.  He needs something to put his money in for walking around at the 'vous.  I have bags he could borrow but I'd like to see him with as much selfmade gear as he can.  Thanks!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
Great news Tony.  I am glad it is going in a positive direction and a gold star to you for making it happen.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:13:57 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »
I think you're on the right track with him.....''Busy hands are happy hands,   O:-)   but idle hands are the devil's workshop.'' >:D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX