Author Topic: THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS DINNER  (Read 501 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS DINNER
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
.....and how it came to be.

https://daily.jstor.org/dickens-set-american-christmas-dinner-table/?utm_source=swap&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AtlasObscura&utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=fdf5e2cf66-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_12_23_Not_NYC&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-fdf5e2cf66-69712057&mc_cid=fdf5e2cf66&mc_eid=537596707d

After church, we start on Christmas Eve with oyster stew ($32/quart this year) and since Heather's 95 year old mother wants fried chicken :shrug: for Christmas dinner, we are changing our usual & more traditional Dickensian feast to a modified Popeye's menu.  I've learned, the hard way, that flexibility is key during this time of year! ;D

Care to list a few of the items that you consider Christmas tradition on your tables? :popcorn:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS DINNER
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
Like some of you I grew up in a traditional family.  My parents had suffered through the depression as children and treasured the Christmas and the dinner that had become tradition in the relative abundance of the post war years.  We always had a large dinner and there some things that never varied about it.  There was eggnog by the quart on Christmas eve with all manner of cookies and pastries.  The dinner on Christmas was usually ham, turkey, or roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, relishes and so forth.  Celery was always served with a filling of cream cheese of some kind.  There were pies galore, apple and cherry most of the time and a wonderful custard pie my mother made for the occasion.  She also made a dessert salad at Christmas that was oranges, pineapple, cherries, pears, and marshmallows, all mixed together.  At our house I do not recall ever having oysters or stews or strange things.  I remember the men and women drinking a different tasting eggnog that we kids got too.  I snuck some of it and it made me sick and wobbly for a time. 

These days we are empty nesters and all family is far away.  If we are by ourselves we usually fix a dinner of the traditional things and if, as we will this year, go to someone's house we will take food to share.  The dessert salad my mother made and that these years my wife makes, is always on the table.

Thanks for posting the link to early Christmas dinners in Dickens time.  I think the movie version, particularly the original version, was the most influential movie on how we celebrate this blessed holiday in our culture.    :fire1:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »
Christmas has always been very 'special' to me & my family, but it's painful for many of us, too.  I don't recall posting anything about what pains me at this time of year, but it was two years ago, almost to the hour & minute, that my brother died from ALS in our living room.  I ain't over it yet, by a long shot! :'(

It also reminds me that several of my friends here in town, and on the forum, have painful memories at this time of year, also.  I pray for all of you that I know of that may be sad or alone at Christmas, but it is also a time of great joy at the anniversary of our Savior's birth!  I hope & pray that my prayers for a blessed Christmas lend solace to all those of you that feel loss or pain, also.

Kind of a highjack of my own thread, but it's how I feel.........so, the oyster stew smells WONDERFUL! :drool:   I AM looking forward to Christmas Eve, the church service tonight AND oyster stew....JOY TO THE WORLD! :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »
In our family Thanksgiving is the big meal day when all sorts of goodies get cooked and eaten. 

My grandmother used to do a big Christmas feast but it got to be too much doing one at TG and then again a month later at Christmas.

#1 wife and I, since we started doing our own Christmases, downsized the meal considerably.

This year for our sons and their families we did (yes, did, Saturday 21 was the only day everyone could be here), a big ham, a pork loin, greens, sweet potatoes, congealed lime salad, and plain dinner rolls. 

Of course there were various cookies and other sweets.

Simple by a lot of standards.

Alan

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
yes i do wolfy what should have been on the table at the inlaws house,
was turkey, dressing candied yams mashpotatoes/gravy relish trays ect....
hell i even bought the turkey for the sisinlaw to cook ,
never saw it hmmmmmmmmmmm where it go.
heck with it i'll stay home next year and cook a real supper.

i don't care if i sound ungrateful i take a lot of thought as to how holiday supper should be served.

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Kelly and I came from traditional Christmas dinners.  The last 7 or 8 years we've been in the mountains at Christmas, my family is either dead or 4700 miles away, our new Christmas traditional meal is Cracker Barrel.  Lol.   This year it was packed and closed at 2.  So it was carry out in the motel room.  Sounds kinda sad when I write it but I was with my favorite pack.  All was good.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
Tony your post made me think of one of the best Thanksgivings in the worst of times.  We were having big time conflicts with our son and he moved out (14 years old) to my parents place.  I was mad, wife was distraught, and duck season was on.  We got up early and went to the duck lease north of town.  threw out the decoys.  Shot a few ducks.  Ate our dinner on the sandbar at a small fire.  It was one I remember and things turned out okay in the end.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)