Author Topic: robot calls...........  (Read 211 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
robot calls...........
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
Where I live we have no cell service so we have a land line.  Getting up to see what robot is calling gives us all the exercise we need on a daily basis.  Three days ago they stopped.  The silence is deafening and I love it.  I suppose it is due to two things.  First it is Christmas time.  Second I think the President signed a bill that severely restricts robot calls.  I am probably wrong but it sure is nice to have them gone.

I am puzzled why they call people on the do not call list and why anybody who is irritated by these azz wipes would ever consider buying a car warranty or getting help with their credit card situation from them.   

Are you bombarded with this where you live?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: robot calls...........
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 05:02:33 AM »
All we have anymore is cell phones.  I get very few robo calls.  For the most part, I only answer calls from people in my address book

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 08:48:47 AM »
Still get barraged with these calls here in central Florida and they are now using the local area code to make the calls seem local. Lately when I answer the calls, they never speak so I'm assuming they are scouting numbers to sell as valid numbers.  I only answer them on my work cell.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
Greyhound they use local numbers and area codes here as well.  Sometimes it is a business or agency.  Got one from the BLM the other day and they tried to sell me a car warranty.  I called the BLM to let them know their number was being used but they didn't seem to care. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
For about 20 years we ran our business out of the house.  With a "business" line we were not eligible for the do not call list (not sure it would have helped).  The house phone was forwarded to my cell phone.  I received no fewer than 20 robo/spam calls a day.  When I recently retired, we did away with the land line (couldn't convert it back to a residential listing) and just have our cell phones.  The silence has been wonderful.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »
The # calling on our landline is displayed on the TV screen.  The # calling our cells is displayed on the phones.  If I (or my phone) doesn't know you...you don't get answered.
huh?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 08:17:18 AM »
 It's the kind of world we live in today,  I get about 15 robo calls a day on average on our land line, and we are on the No Call list also, I used to get all frustrated, press one to talk to a live body, and when I got one I'd go off on them like a mad fool (which I was) with every obscene name I could call them,  but of course they hang up before you can really get rolling.
 A complaint to the phone company got me this remedy, if you don't recognize the number don't answer it, just let it ring until they hang up, after a while (in theory) they'll stop calling, well that didn't work as planned and we are still getting a bunch of calls every day, when I have the patients I just let it ring, when I don't I pick up and hang up immediately, both are temporary fixes for that call but does nothing to stop future calls.
 From what I've read both houses of congress have passed a bill making such calls illegal unless certain restrictions and regulations are met by the caller, such as a valid call back number, apps for cell phone users to block robo calls, and any infraction or violation will result in an automatic $12,000.00 fine per call on the caller,  the President said he would sign it into law within the next week or so.
 I have no idea how they plan to trace the calls or investigate complaints of abuse of the law, but it looks good on paper, personally I'm not keen on the fine part,  I think lynching for the first violation would be more efficient, but then I'm not the decider & chief in charge of such things, and I am more than a bit old fashioned in my thinking sometimes. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »
I get a lot of robo calls from the Atlanta area, probably due to the area code I have had since Heather added me to her 'plan' back in the early '90s.  What puzzles me is that I keep getting calls from the same Atlanta number even though I have zapped them with 'block this caller' from my iPhone. >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »
One person I call once in awhile has a voice message that says they do not accept calls from solicitors etc. and if you are one hang up.  If not you can press 1.  It stops robo calls but some live people still press 1 and forge ahead.  The persons wife know words even I have not heard and she, like Moe, gives them both barrels. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »
she, like Moe, gives them both barrels. 
When I was about 13 years old, I read a book in the school library that contained a butt chewing spiel.

Quote : "You chicken cheating, boot azzed, scurvy eyed, scab-nosed, slush mouthed, slack seated, slab headed son of a square tailed skunk. You ain't worth a pimple on a deck apes behind. I'm going to run you so far up the flag pole, you'll be putting in for flight pay!"

The car warranty folks hang up on me when I tell them the only car I have left after the divorce is the '26 Ford model T.

I used to tell the political survey people that there was a damaged gravestone in my yard that I had the back face engraved "I will not answer any questions over the phone" I would go on to explain that yes, I had that policy actually set in stone and then I would apologize to them "Sorry". Some would laugh, some would tell me they would remove my name from their calling list, and some would just hang up.

The wife just hangs up without a word.

After two years, we no longer get those calls. Apparently our reputation became a 'Do not waste your time on that number.' And that's Okay with me.

I bought a phone at one of the big box stores that allows me to block over a thousand numbers. That really helped. I only get a call or two a week now.

I had an old Navy buddy try to contact us. We hadn't talked since '77. He had an awful time but was finally able to get a letter to us through a third party. Almost didn't get that contact because we didn't recognize his number and we don't do social media.