Author Topic: Handle on a Buck 143 Pac knife  (Read 1789 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Handle on a Buck 143 Pac knife
« on: January 04, 2020, 01:07:29 PM »
I have had this Buck 143 skeleton knife in my knife box for quite awhile.  Never used it because it felt like the handle was just too small for the blade.  Hard to hold it.  Anyway I decided to put a handle on it for the fun of it.  I had a nice piece of curly maple and used some.

Feels better in hand now but probably won't get much use.  I put it in an old leather sheath I had as a neck knife.  May get some use cutting bale twine when we are feeding cattle this winter.  It would make a good skinning knife but there are better ones in my knife box. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
Re: Handle on a Buck 143 Pac knife
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:42:31 PM »
Pretty slick.  I like small knives.
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 03:25:42 PM »
I have had this Buck 143 skeleton knife in my knife box for quite awhile.  Never used it because it felt like the handle was just too small for the blade.  Hard to hold it.  Anyway I decided to put a handle on it for the fun of it.  I had a nice piece of curly maple and used some.

Feels better in hand now but probably won't get much use.  I put it in an old leather sheath I had as a neck knife.  May get some use cutting bale twine when we are feeding cattle this winter.  It would make a good skinning knife but there are better ones in my knife box. 

I have the bigger 4" blade model,  it lives somewhere in the bottom of my day pack,  I picked it up at Wallyworld by mistake,  I bought a different knife and the clerk put the wrong one in the bag, both were the same price, I just never brought it back for exchange.
 I think they are made of 440C stainless,  I don't care for the skeleton handle either,  but it's not a bad blade for the money and it doesn't rust,  so I keep it for a back up.
 I've got some curly maple hanging around in my exotic woods box,  might be a good project for a snow weekend.

Nice job Stan. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
Nice job, love the curly maple.

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
Love it Stan, curly maple was a great choice. Good job making it usable.
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the comments. :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »
Pretty knife & pretty danged good work for an ol' man! :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »
Thanks Craig.   :thumbsup:
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »
Nice job, Stan!  That little knife looks like it'd dress out and skin a deer quite well.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks Nuke.  I think it would too. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 06:48:05 AM »
Stan I picked up a Buck slim line folder, Ranger in S30V. I bought it at Bass Pro for 69.00.  I've carried it everyday for over a year now. The edge holds up great, as it should. But can be a bear hand sharping with other than a very fine diamond hone. Love the new Buck line of knives, this one is very lite in the pocket.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/112-slim-pro-knife/0112FAM03/

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/buck-112-slim-pro-folding-knife
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 08:11:43 AM »
Spyder those are really nice.  They look to be a lot thinner through the handle area than those that I have.  I like that they have clips and the way the Buck logo is cut out is really neat. 

My Buck folders are a couple of 110 models, one the old one with the brass bolsters and rosewood handles and the other is a Bucklite with the paper scales.  Also have an old 112 and a early Bucklite with 422 stamped on the blade.  It is the same size as a 112 and very light in weight but not a slim handle like your links. The handle has finger grooves molded in it. It is about 25 years old.

All of mine are probably stainless 420, given their age, and not S30V. Thanks for posting those,  might have to get one of them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:22:20 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
You did a beautiful job on that handle, but I would like to see a step by step build.
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »
I think you are talking about the curly maple Plumber, if not sorry for this answer.

I didn't take a photos of the build.  What I did was cut two scales from my larger piece of maple.  Then I traced the outline on each piece and left it a bit oversize when I cut it out with the band saw.  I glued one side to the knife and clamped it.  When dry I filed the lanyard hole and drilled holes for the rivets in the glued side.  Then the other side was glued on.  Finished drilling the rivet hole and the lanyard hole and then put in the rivets.  Then the scales were sanded until I got a  good fit to the metal.

I used JB Weld thick epoxy for the glue.  Finish is a few coats of Tru oil gunstock finish.  The lanyard hole in the scales is the odd shaped hole in the end of the handle.  I might not do that if I did another one as it may crack with use.  I would probably just drill a simple round hole and fit a brass tube in it.  Thanks.
(Mark Twain)