Author Topic: Philapina Kitchen  (Read 1811 times)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
Philapina Kitchen
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:16:00 AM »
My brother spends some time in he Philippines, usually on a remote island.

here is a photo of a typical kitchen

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Philapina Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
Looks like a bachelor lives there.  Hope we are talking about remote island residents and not Manila.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
    Interesting perspective. Would a wide angle view change the perception? By necessity, tropical cooking  is much different than cooking in a temperate climate. A remote island would make it even more so. If the availability of cooking fuels are restricted to wood and charcoal, then a dedicated area set aside (such as a  passageway next to the kitchen) for the actual cooking of food would be prudent, given the smoke, dust and ash produced by the fuel.
     A palayok pot would of necessity appear dirty and dingy, as displayed in the picture, due to the charcoal fuel used. But the food inside could very well be delicious.
    What is your brothers take on this? Good food but poor facilities due to infrastructure limitations?
What I see there reminds me of colonial America 200 years ago. The availability of gas and electricity has replaced wood and charcoal and has changed our very perception of what a kitchen should look like.
    A remote island with poor, intermittent or nonexistent freight transportation is going to push the everyday necessities of life back 200 years. While the ubiquitous plastic is on display, it looks like that is what's happening here.
    I'll go along with Wsdstan on the bachelor assessment. Yup. That looks like bachelor work right there.  :D

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
it's a remote island. the electric goes out at 4 pm and is off all night. They eat fish every day. I don't believe that is a bachelor kitchen. My brothers take is he likes it there. He may move there permanently.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
Ah-ha! So the food is good!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
My brother has a Philipino  wife.  But she's a city girl.  That set up is NOT what she is used to.  They're living in Hawaii now. 
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »
It looks like the pot to the left of the one that is currently burning fuel of some kind lis laying on a sheet steel top that could be used for frying.  It is laying upside down and has three legs.  Of course that could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.  The pot on the right appears to has a fire going in it so it might not be a Palayok unless that term applies to the pots used as stoves as well.  The rounded thing on top of what I think is a cooker of some kind could be pottery or metal in construction.  Regardless it does take us back a couple of hundred years to when meals were prepared in separate houses in the South and in out of the way areas in other cultures.

Learned what clay pots in the Philippines are called as well as other areas.  Kulon and anglit are other names.  An image search finds most kitchens in the Islands are neat and tidy but in the poorer kitchens like the picture in this thread is very much the same as several shown in a search.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 05:36:35 PM »
my brother is married to a phillipina, met her while at Clark AB. When she first came here she would cook over a fire outside and it took awhile for here to sit in a chair. She eventually became Americanized..

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 01:38:30 AM »
     Your brother married a young lady with off grid living skills? And she has actually lived the lifestyle? Your not going to let she and your brother get back to the tropics without learning everything you can from them are you?
     What a wonderful opportunity to learn those skills from someone versed in the actual everyday use of them. All the little nuances that make life so much better, and they only come with experience. For her they are inconsequential details, part of everyday life. But they can make life so much more difficult when you don't know them.
     If you haven't already, start asking questions before they move back there permanently and the opportunity is lost.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »

Well sir,  there's rustic and then there's Rustic,  that right there pictured is just a tad over Rustic if you get my drift,  If you'd have asked what the picture depicted to me before saying it was a typical kitchen of the area, I'd have said that the picture was taken inside of a shed on and old long deserted farmstead somewhere in the woods of northern Maine,  I ran across one of those abandoned properties back in the early '70's while hunting deer.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.