Author Topic: 3D Printed!!! LOOOOONG POST...  (Read 6741 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
3D Printed!!! LOOOOONG POST...
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
There is a long story behind my not being on here Much. I'm not going to tell the whole of it. I got fired, took 2 weeks off, got another job, and quit it. I've been off for 2 weeks and may take another month or two off as I have savings. So in the mean time I bought a Creality Ender 3 pro 3d printer.
First print was a small paracord/utility cord block and tackle. In this video it's lifting a stack of food tins with stuff in them total weight is 6 lbs. I believe this can handle 50lbs easily but not sure I'd try it.

Here we have a cool water survival still. you put a dirty water 2 liter bottle on the bottom and a clean 2 liter on top. The condensing water runs down the top bottle and out a nozzel on the side. There is a pipe that sticks up far enough to keep the clean water from getting back to the dirty bottle.

This is a biddet? It seems to be the newest thing in the hiking world. sqeeze the bottle while carefully aiming? Not my thing I don't see how water gets the stink off.

I also printed wasps. If you're not familiar with the dutchware titanium wasp they are small light and strong. Used for tightening thin rope like zing it. These are for paracord and not nearly as strong as titanium, but they do work and I can see them coming in handy.

This is a tinder maker. Yes, I know my knife makes great shavings and all, but this is nice when yuor're freezing half to death and want a fire. It uses an ordinary razor held with a 3mm bolt. There is a bigger model that uses a utility knife blade with two 3mm bolts. This is a strong chunk of plastic. The blade would break first,

Next is this cool ferro rod sheath for a More knife sheath. I have it super glued in place but left the electrical tape on after it cured, Why not you never know when you might need some right? I can print these very quickly so if you're interested give a holler. Just over a 1/4" diameter hole so you need a securement device. bungee cord lanyard?

HERE IS A TOP SECRET BUILD OF MY OWN................ ................... .............S.A.K.  ferro rod scale!!
I have been learning Fusion 360. I was able to design and print this. Two things going on. 1. The print dimensions do not match the design. done in MM it didn't print at 91mm and the holes are not 4.5mm. I'm still trying to see if it's my computer or a setting in fusion. Here is a print sample of my design. I really hope someone might see this and help me out with a proper .STL file. This is for a small 3.6mm ferro rod. Still working on this!! It should be 4mm wider than the corkscrew would stick out.
, ,

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:46:37 AM by xj35s »
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Re: 3D Printed!!! LOOOOONG POST...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »
I gotta be honest.  I thought you were going in another direction. 
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
Neat stuff I think.

Can you let us in on the cost of the printer/software/material?  I am curious what the plastic is, does it come in a powder and is there a two part process or what? 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 07:46:45 PM »
$200 for the printer. It's PLA a plant based plastic. It comes in a string on a spool and looks like weed eater string. It gets fed into a hot end by an extruder. It comes out of the nozzle at 210*F and is quickly cooled by a fan. It basically welds a .15mm layer as it moves along. Most of the prints are .25mm at 100mm/second, I have slowed these down to .10m layer thickness and 50mm/s. Makes a much smoother and stronger piece.

The printer has been printing every .stl file from the internet perfectly. Not sure why my designs aren't. The .STL file is similar to .dxf cad file. I just put the .STL file on a micro SD card. I slide the SD card into the printer and use the scroll button to locate the file to print from the card.  I use the software that came with the printer to send the file to the card. That's where I can make changes in the layer thickness and speed among other things. It came with Creality slicer 123.

A good spool of PLA is about 2lbs for $16. it can print PETG, ABS, Nylon, TPU, Carbon Fiber, and a few others. Just have to change the temps and speeds for the material. It says on the box what is best.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:55:11 PM »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 09:07:20 PM »
Thanks XJ, that is what I wanted to know more about.   :cheers:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
I don't get it.....I consider myself lucky to get my phone to work right. :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 09:59:34 AM »
It is crazy simple if you are just using .stl files downloaded form the internet. The machine just does what it is supposed to. I don't get how exactly. it's fun watching it do it's thing. No smell whatsoever.

Any opinions about having a ferro rod hole in the side of a SAK scale? I know about the firefly's that replace the tooth pick with a ferro rod, but they are small and expensive. I thought I could just use the knife and ferro rod I carry in one package.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »
It is crazy simple if you are just using .stl files downloaded form the internet. The machine just does what it is supposed to. I don't get how exactly. it's fun watching it do it's thing. No smell whatsoever.

Any opinions about having a ferro rod hole in the side of a SAK scale? I know about the firefly's that replace the tooth pick with a ferro rod, but they are small and expensive. I thought I could just use the knife and ferro rod I carry in one package.

LOL,I think many of us are just waiting to see how that first 3D AR build turns out. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
Yeah.  Yeah.  Yeah.
huh?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
I'm on it bud...

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »
So here is a true sucess story. I designed and 3 d printed the prototype for a toothed bucket edge. I had a friend cut the points with his cnc plasma cutter. I used all remnant steel from Klein at $1 a lb. Total weight about 30lbs. I cut into the bank so well, I couldn't lift the load and had to shake some dirt off. This is going to really pay off. Proud of my design work and exact 3D print of the actual parts that are now welded on.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:58 PM »
Nice toothbar.  Even better you made it yourself!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 10:43:26 PM »
That is impressive.  Nice job on the design and build.
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
Thank you.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »
I don't know what a set of those would have cost at Tractor Supply, but your ingenuity saved you quite a few shekels, I think! :thumbsup:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Indeed. The link on my John Deere 1050 thread from Imnukensc like the one he has on the Kubota would have been just over $300. I paid $40 for the cnc cutting and about $30 for the steel. Took one long day to build. I took it off the tractor and painted it green.
Today I'm printing a new pto handle. My rubber one split and fell off somewhere. That metal is sharp. Today Might be the final revision of the SAK scale that holds a 3/16" ferro rod. Rainy day stuck in the house....

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Yeah, that John-Deere factory paint job is mighty spendy! :lol:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
I completed the SAk scale ferro rod and handle. It's a nice fit and easily carries a 1/8th x 2 " rod. I also decided to design a permenent match from a solid square hollow box. The first one printed with an open bottom and I'm not sure why. this thing has a 2mm wall everywhere and I drilled it and tapped for 12-24 thread. It also uses a 1/8th inch rod but I'm thinking of enlarging it for a 5/16ths. I have a few other forever or premenent match boxes but they all leak and seem to be a pressed fit housing. I wanted to eliminate that issue. No chance of leaking unless the O ring goes or the threads strip out.
I know this handle has sharp edges. I fixed it by rounding them and tapering it a little. The width of the scale isn't really noticable in my pocket. I think I like it!!

I'll change these pictures for better resolution. These are from a cheap gopro imitaion.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:00:17 PM by xj35s »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
I like the box on the left.  Excellent shape and should work well for storing the PM. 

This morning my laptop had an issue so I took it to the fellow who repairs computers.  He had a 3D printer set up in his show room and had a whole lot of stuff that he made with it.  Nothing custom I think but stuff like a Yoda, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Easter Island statue, a woven basket, and assorted things of that kind.  He said the unit he has takes about 10 hours to make some of the things.  Shortest time was a small statue that took 6 hours.  Is that the kind of processing time you are seeing with yours?
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
I fixed the pictures finally.
Yes it's slow. The box was 1.5 hours but you have to understand something.

Each layer had a hight of 0.10 mm and a speed of 75mm/s. It has 100 percent infill meaning the walls are solid so not to risk leaking.

I could have printed it in 25 minutes with 1.2mm layer height and 15% infill making the walls thin and mostly hollow, with a speed of 100mm/s. This would have made it breakable and the outside would show a lot of layer lines and not have this smooth finish. possibly small leaks where the layer might not have full welded together.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »
This little handle took 6 minutes. It is a 14mm wide, 5 mm high, and 8mm long. It has a hexagon hole in the center for epoxy and rod. Also a small round ridge you can hardly see around the top edge to help pull it out of the scale. The jagged edge along the bottom is left from a brim that prints on the first layer to help it from moving on the print bed. I didn't peel it all of cleanly. I'll sand it some and it won't show. The more detail the long it takes of course.  a 15% infil peice without details would print in 2  minutes.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Thanks
(Mark Twain)