Author Topic: LED HEADLAMPS  (Read 594 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
LED HEADLAMPS
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
I've decided I need one, but don't know which one to buy.  :P      I know several of you have mentioned some of the options in past threads, but I don't think we've ever done a thread dedicated to them, exclusively.  A search didn't show much.....so, anyone have any suggestions! :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Re: LED HEADLAMPS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »
I was so overwhelmed with the choices, I backed up and bought relatively cheap ones this go around.  Craftsman headlamp and a BassPro handheld.  I dont do 3 weeks expeditions anymore so I'm good with my edc's.

The go to guy for the Kracs for lighting is Crash.  Hit him up for some advice.  Or greyhound352.
huh?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »
a few thing I consider. lumens, how bright does it need to be? Battery or rechargable? rechargeable are more expensive. controls, I just need on and off. most have at least high, medium, low, and flash.
I have a petzl that takes two AAA batteries and has on/of white light or on/off red light, one push button for each light. I'll send it to you if you want it. If you decide to upgrade later you could pass it on or send it back.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
 I guess it depends on what your needs are,  in my case I figured I had to have one to round out my trail kit mostly because in most of the gear lists and videos I see everyone in the know has them,  in reality it comes down to your specific needs.
 Around the house I have several hand held flash lights,  I have liquid fuel and battery operated lanterns and 'vous type candle lanterns for emergencies and when the electric goes out,  all of my woods bumming outings now are day trips, fishing, small game hunting, and occasionally a short walk in the woods just to sit, relax, build a small fire and make something woodsy to eat, I rarely stay until dark, but I carry a flashlight and my headlamp, just in case.
 When I decided to purchase a headlamp I turned to the internet for advice, and just like flashlights there's a staggering number of headlamps on the market and prices vary from cheap to stupid,  lumens are another consideration,  if you're planning to summit Mt. Everest you might want a high intensity light,  but if you're just trying to find your way to the nearest piss tree, or find something in your pack you don't need an aircraft landing light.
 So I decided that I'd invest in a cheap headlamp and if I needed something better I'd have more experience to rely on for my next purchase,  I found a compact Ever Ready 250 Lumen three function headlamp that runs on three triple A batteries for about $12.00 on sale and bought it,  I later ran into a package deal on a Lowe's brand Kobalt headlamp and flashlight combo for $15.00 and picked it up, it also runs on three triple A batteries, I keep one in my shop and one in my Day bag, that was three years ago and I haven't had to use one yet.
 If I was still riding my motorcycle I'd have one and spare batteries in my bikes tool kit, or in my truck for emergencies,  but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one,  I don't keep batteries in them, but keep a half dozen batteries stored with the lamps,  so bottom line in my opinion is if you are going to buy one,  go with a known brand,  get an inexpensive one to see just how much you will use it or need it before laying out a bunch of money that you won't get any return on.         
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, boys. :cheers:   From what you guys tell me, what I've learned on my own, how often I think I'll actually use it....and a basic propensity for being a cheapskate, I'm thinkin' I'll go with a battery-operated, rather than a rechargeable unit.  I don't want or NEED all the bells & whistles, either.  As a matter of fact, keeping things as simple as possible is more suitable to my anticipated needs.  I've been getting by, so far, by just holding my present pocket-light in my mouth when I need both hands free, but that ain't good for many reasons. :P    I doubt that I'll even need it more than a very few times/year....the last time being when I was rummaging around in my suitcase in a dark closet when we were on our trip to Florida.  I'll bet my local Ace Hardware store will have a decent name-brand LED unit that will work just fine....thanks for the help, everyone! :thumbsup:

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Lots of choices.  Wally World, Home Depot and Lowes all sell serviceable headlamps.  I think I have about six or seven of them.  My go to for camping and working in tight places is the Petzl Tikkina.  It uses 3 AAA batteries and I get over 200 hours of use when on low.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
That sounds IDEAL for my needs, Dave.....THANK YOU! :hail:    I just checked them out on Amazon.... $20 for 200 hours of battery life AND it's simple....just what I wanted! :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
I have a GRDE rechargeable LED headlamp.  It has high, low, and blinking.  The blinking is of no use but the high and low are.  It runs a long time on a full charge and has an adaptor for charging in a car.

The beam is bright enough to ride a dirt bike down a trail when it is pitch black out. 

It costs $24.00 or so at Amazon.  Spend a little more for something else you don't need and shipping is free.

https://www.amazon.com/GRDE-Rechargeable-Headlight-Flashlight-Adjustable/dp/B0776V97B6/ref=asc_df_B0776V97B6/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451663190142&psc=1
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Stan. :cheers:    I'm leaning a little more toward the Petzl offering right now....just because it's less bulky in the headband portion and would fit better in the place I'm planning on stuffing it. 

For the moment, I'm keeping my options open just to see if anyone else has any suggestions, but Heather has an Amazon order going in in the next day or two....that'll be the deadline. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:31:03 PM by wolfy »

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
Currently I have 2 that I bought at Wal-Mart; one Energizer and one Ozark Trail.  Both perform pretty well.  I went for versions that use primary batteries.  These each take 3 AAA batteries.  I don't remember what I paid, but each was under $20.

I didn't go for the brightest models.  I found that a high setting of around 200-250 or so lumens is plenty of light for me and translates to longer battery life.  I like versions with high and low settings, or high/medium/low.  Sometimes the high setting is actually too much light for close work.  Personally, I have no need for a strobe/blinking function.  One thing that I go for is a headlamp that also has a red light function.  A red light doesn't attract insects like a white light does, and it helps preserve your night vision.

Something you'll have to decide is what level of water resistance you need.  I have in the past just put a strip of electrician's tape around the battery compartment door seam, although I admit I haven't been out in the rain much so I don't really know how effective this is.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
Thanks Icepick....I actually checked with Wally a couple of days ago, but they were completely out of headlamps.  Heather is sending in an order to Amazon tomorrow, so I should be lit up by the first of next week. :banana:

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 08:26:26 AM »
I know you're all set but I just found this. I really like the COB LED's. This has both. $5.88 might be worth grabbing for a quick outside run at night. It uses an 18650 battery. I like the battery being in the lamp and not in the back of the band.

https://www.dx.com/p/outdoor-bright-cob-led-headlamp-rechargeable-waterproof-6-modes-emergency-headlight-for-camp-fishing-night-work-black-2620259.html
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.