Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
St. Patrick's Day
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
We normally have the traditionally American, Irish Corned Beef, Boiled cabbage and potatoes today but I forgot to take the Corned Beef Brisket out of the freezer last night, so I'm thinking maybe I'll try a new dish called a Dublin Coddle today. If it turns out OK in the slow cooker, it sounds like a good candidate for the Dutch Oven this summer.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: St. Patrick's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
Our corned beef has been simmering on the front burner since 10am.....cabbage, carrots and taters will be added later on this afternoon.  It smells GREAT! :drool:

Pete, can you provide a recipe for that Dublin Coddle?  Never heard of it, but we're always looking for new recipes to try in the Dutch oven.....which is coming out of mothballs within the next week or two.  The new Lodge Dutch oven table, that we picked up on sale last year makes wrangling the iron a whole lot easier on my back.  Tony picked one up, as well....maybe a couple others did, too. :shrug: WOLFY APPROVED!   :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Apparently the Dublin Coddle is an Irish Stew made from the bits and pieces left at the end of the week. The recipe follows, but given the history, I just chunked up what I thought two people would eat and threw it in the slow cooker. It should be ready in 3 or 4 more hours. I only printed the pertinent information so I can't give credit to the author. My apologies to him or her.

1 Pkg of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces.
1 Pound smoked sausage sliced into "coins"
5 large potatoes, cubed
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large carrot sliced into "coins"
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups beef broth
black pepper
2 tbs fresh parsley

cook bacon and sausage on a medium hot pan until browned
put potatoes, carrots and onion into the crockpot
add the bacon and sausage
add the garlic, beef broth and black pepper
cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH  for 2-4 hours. 
Add the pasrley as topping when it's served.

I didn't have 'fresh' parsley in my refrigerator, but I doubt that oversight will ruin the  stew.
I'll dish the coddle up in a bowl and have a little boiled cabbage topped with butter as a side dish. I forgot to pick up some Guiness Extra Stout for the occasion this year. So a dash of green food coloring in one of Milwaukee's Best will have to do.
I eat Lefse and Lutefisk with the Norwegian wife on special occasions and she eats the Irish meals on St. Patrick's day with me. Must be a reasonable trade as we've been doin' it for 49 years.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:49 PM »
That sounds pretty tasty, Pete. :thumbsup:       To be honest, I looked up the Dublin Coddle on Google after my last post.....there are lots of entries, so it appears there's plenty of options, as far as ingredients & the desired outcomes go.  I've got some brats in the freezer that I need to use up and this sounds like a good recipe to use them in.....thanks for the recipe ideas!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
Sue and I just finished our St. Patrick's Day supper.  Corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes with some of the skin left on, carrots, and broth.  A quite satisfying meal.  Departing from tradition we split a cream filled Long John for dessert. 

The coddle sounds good and with bacon and sausage it has to be.  Easy recipe too.

We are watching John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man.

Happy St. Patty's day to all.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
We just finished our corned beef & cabbage meal, also....right tasty.  Leftovers for lunch tomorrow and then a Reuben Casserole for the next day.  I love that stuff!

We just watched The Quiet Man on TCM (NO COMMERCIALS!) about a month or so, ago. 
Don't know what's in store for us tonight. :shrug:

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »
The Dublin Coddle turned out OK. A taste sample when it was about half cooked seemed to indicate a shortage of spices, so I added a bit of Weber Grills 'Chicago Steak' seasoning. That helped but in the end I dusted on some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning while it was served in the bowl. Now it's just the way I like it, but that's just me. The wife didn't need any additional spice.

I'll definitely do it again. It was easy and tasty and wasn't fussy about the cook time. Just my kind of meal.

The corned beef and cabbage are going to be on the menu soon though. I regret not taking the brisket out of the freezer in time, but this was a nice substitute. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 07:03:50 AM »
The Dublin Coddle turned out OK. A taste sample when it was about half cooked seemed to indicate a shortage of spices, so I added a bit of Weber Grills 'Chicago Steak' seasoning. That helped but in the end I dusted on some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning while it was served in the bowl. Now it's just the way I like it, but that's just me. The wife didn't need any additional spice.

I'll definitely do it again. It was easy and tasty and wasn't fussy about the cook time. Just my kind of meal.

The corned beef and cabbage are going to be on the menu soon though. I regret not taking the brisket out of the freezer in time, but this was a nice substitute. 

Pete,  just a suggestion for the next time,  if you're late taking a large piece of meat like a pot roast, pork loin, or brisket that's in the three to five pound range (if it's not in a vacuum sealed bag wrap it good in plastic wrap and stick it in a zip lock freezer bag) put it in a stock pot full of cold tap water and put a weight on it to keep it submerged, it'll thaw out pretty quickly and evenly without going bad.
 I've thawed out a five pound brisket in about five hours that way without any issues, from the freezer at about 9:00am to the oven at 3:00pm in the afternoon saved the day supper wise.     
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:39 PM »
Thanks Moe