Author Topic: got out today.  (Read 1994 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
got out today.
« on: March 18, 2020, 02:32:21 PM »
 A goose down under blanket and a 10 *F down sleeping bag. That open end is for the fire with reflector wall (not built yet the fire pit is under the tarp right now). I have a Katadyn hiker pro water filter for that creek water. I have a UCO Candle lantern for a little warmth, puts out 3000 BTU's and safe hanging from the ridgeline. All synthetic clothing. 3 cups of rice, 3 cups of dehydrated veggei soup mix, a hillshire farms beef summer sausage, and a single foil pack of spam. Fishing kit and 22 rifle. a Mora knife with a ferro rod and a swiss champ plus pocket knife.A titanium Cup 450ml a stainless mug 650ml and a Stanley camp pot. Nimblewill stove burns wood, alcohol, or hexamine tabs. 10' x 10 ' Silpoly tarp with doors and tie outs every 2 feet. I'm all set. 32lbs loadout. The pack weighs almost 4 though.

This is just a costco down throw with bungees tied on the ends. The ends are very loose  but when I get in it tightens up around me pretty well. I'll add end pulls later.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: got out today.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:17:59 PM »
Looks like a good setup to me.  We still have snow on the ground here and what doesn't have snow is mud so that is my excuse for not camping out for another month at least.  However I was thinking about cooking outside and your list at least got me to look at my stove and cooking gear. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 10:58:02 PM »
Like Stan, I see no green shoots, buds or any other harbingers of Spring in these parts. ???   Robins are in profusion, but the only thing they do is crap all over everything.

I'm thinkin' one more week and things will become bearable.  I left Florida about one month too soon! :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 04:53:57 AM »
awesome trip report

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »
Glad you got out xj! thanks for the share!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »
Nice hang! Glad you got out in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

It's overcast here but supposed to reach about 78*F today. Trying to get at least an overnighter planned asap.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the post.  We're at Faver-Dykes SP.  Beautiful weather here.
huh?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
Thanks, this quarentine happened at a good time for us. Lots to do outside without going anywhere. This was a great test of this tarp ( 10x10 diy) the winds got up to 40 mph with 50 mph gusts. Everything held very well even the small aluminum stakes from wally world stayed in the muddy ground. All the stitching stayed tight and the ridgeline is waterproof!!
I 3d printed a hush pipe for my 10/22 and going to test it today. Shhhh!!

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.