Author Topic: Twiddling my finners.  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Twiddling my finners.
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:58 AM »
So the quarantine is on and we'll  try to do our part.  Offering support to the elderly but minimizing our outings.  Kelly bought some 1000 piece puzzles and broke open the card deck.  She's gonna paint the house.  I'm gonna build a gun or two.  Replacing the radiator in the F250.  Learning a new song on the guitar.  Kinda like retirement.  Oh yeah.  Already there.  TP?  Really?  That's an issue?  Food?  Been prepping for years.  Guns and ammo?  What guns?  Panic buying?  You're behind the curve son.  I think I'll take a nap. 
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Twiddling my finners.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »
We are staying put too.  I worked on the four wheeler and changed the oil.  No use running an ad now as I don't want anybody coming here from wherever they might come from.  Yesterday was warm enough to ride the motorcycle which is okay as I just rode it around mostly on dirt roads and didn't stop to visit anybody.  Put my Gopro camera on that my son sent me and after a few miles it tilted a bit to low so I got an hour of my speedometer and the front end of the bike.  Gotta think about that for a bit.  Can't figure out how to load it yet as I cannot find it in the computer files.  WTF

We have a couple of hundred geese deciding whether to nest here I think.  They been laying around the reservoir for about three days now and if they have left to feed it must be at night.  The reservoir is thawing and should be all open water in a couple more days. 

I am thinking this activity restriction could sure last a lot longer than a couple of months.  A Dutch woman we follow on YouTube about her ride from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska on a Royal Enfield Himalayan motorbike is stuck in Peru. She has a room with meals at what we would call a bed and breakfast and is in a small town which she prefers over the big city.

Good luck to all of you and since a few of us are in the high risk old folks age category a double wish for all of you.  To people like Sarge who is part of the people who protect us, I would add how much I appreciate their efforts.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »
Lots of thumb-twiddlin' going on around here, too. :rolleyes:  We drove out to the state park yesterday afternoon for a little exercise and Coronavirus-free air.  I was amazed to see how many people had the same idea....way more cars than we normally see on a sunny, summer day!  I suppose most gregarious folks out there are beginning to go a little stir-crazy, but for we introverts, IT'S NOT TOO BAD! ;D

Stan turned me on to that Dutch lass (Itchy Boots) that's taking the long motorcycle trip, so I've been watching that on YouTube during part of the afternoon.....she has true grit, for sure! :thumbsup:   And speaking of motorcycles, I called the dealership that has been storing our Geezer-Glide trike and the 2010 Heritage Softail that I bought, but have yet to ride because it was purchased in the dead of winter.  They are putting some of their staff on furlough and shortening business hours, so I'm glad I called.  I was wanting to find out when I could go down to pick them up, but they said they would be happy to deliver them both for free because we are geezers and they don't want to expose us to the Coronavirus.....tom orrow or the next, they will magically arrive in our driveway!  :thumbsup:   The days are getting warmer next week, gasoline prices have taken a nosedive & we're retired, so we intend to do as much riding as possible.....life is good! :banana: :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
Welp, I oredered a bunch of seeds online. Gonna be a late start on them but they should still give a good enough crop by fall. I went out and bought a 2 bottom plow today. The elderly gentleman didn't want to get within 6 feet. No problem with me.
 I plan on going to a few bridges around our area to magnet fish. I've been watching folks on the tube. Very interesting what can be found. I picked up a 250lb magnet with an eye bolt in it from harbor freight. I'm going to attach some 7/64ths amsteel blue line. it has a 600lbs breaking strength.

I repaired the hydraulics on my john deere. turns out it wasn't the valves but the linkage. I 3d printed new plates for the links and now it's perfect. I still can't figure out what happened to the originals. The ones I printed are 1" longer. It moved the handles back 2 inches making it travel further in the forward postition.
Now if I could find a 3pt rototiller....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
I am loading ammo and checking gear.  Local nazis closed the freaking library!  Thank goodness I have a lot of good books here.  I am in ?business as usual? mode.  Doing a lot of reading under a tree in the back yard, fortified with an adult beverage.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 02:10:14 AM »
I'm working from home but as a chef I'm just pushing papers mostly.  Luckily my employer is a nonprofit and is keeping us all one.  The weather is getting better so I'm getting some short day trips out to the mountains/woods.  Right now I'm nursing some injuries sustained in a hike about a month ago, the ribs are still pretty tender.  But just getting a break from these same four walls it nice.  Worst case I go out for a short drive every day or two; no chance to contacting a sick person but I can stretch my legs.  As the weather is getting better I think I'll load up a day pack and do some walks around my neighborhood to work myself back into hiking shape.  Kinda got soft[er] over the winter.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:06 AM »
Hey Stan.  Mannlicher and I have a good friend that got divorced, remarried, bought a jeep, a bad ass teardrop set up.  And is going to TTierra del Fuega to travel north to Alaska... with 3 dogs.  He's really not a nutty kinda guy either.  Lol.  Good luck Winchester.  Fair winds and calm seas.

huh?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »

The Wife and I are doing ok so far,  so far we and the kids, family, and close friends are all keeping our distance, we keep in touch every day by phone or over the computer,  thank  goodness for our preparedness supplies,  I haven't been to the grocery store for about three weeks, but we are starting to run low on some stuff.
 Our local stores were hit hard by the panic buyers and by hoarders but the pressure has eased off a bit and stocks seem to be improving,  most of the local stores have set up hours for seniors only shopping,  the one closest to us closes two hours earlier and uses the time to sanitize the shelves and check out stations and to restock shelves,  then they open for seniors only between 6:00am and 7:30am when the store is at it's freshest and most stocked for the day,  I haven't tried it yet but will attempt it soon.
 I'm happy to hear that all of you who are still posting are doing well,  I'd sure like to know what's happening with OP,  he hasn't logged in in four months which is not normal for him,  even when he's taken time off he usually logs on once or twice a week just to peek in and see what's new.
 I tried e-mailing him and haven't had any success with that,  I pray he ok.

Stay safe, be careful, and take care of your loved ones and neighbors if they need help, we'll do better if we fight this threat together than we will trying to handle it alone.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:07 AM »
I pray you guys are fairing well.  The older folks here in FL
  are at risk.  So send a prayer for them.  Kelly and I are old teachers.  We've been exposed to everything.  This may be different.  Hope to see you in the future.  It was so much a treat to meet wolfy and wife.  What a delight.  I've already said he wasn't what I expected.  Ponytail and such.  But a pleasure to be sure.  Seems to seem bikers  just bond.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:38 AM »
Hey Stan.  Mannlicher and I have a good friend that got divorced, remarried, bought a jeep, a bad ass teardrop set up.  And is going to TTierra del Fuega to travel north to Alaska... with 3 dogs.  He's really not a nutty kinda guy either.  Lol.  Good luck Winchester.  Fair winds and calm seas.

Seriously?  He won't get too far if he gets there at all.  Several of those countries are on lockdown for the foreseeable future.  Bolivia, for instance, is nobody goes in and nobody goes out.  Access to Tierra del Fuego is usually from Buenos Aires for vehicle shipping and then you drive south.  Argentina is on short term lockdown but I would not depend on it to reopen. 

On a related subject (traveling somewhere) if you come through western South Dakota after you leave wolfy's area be sure to let me know.  We can figure something out even if it is just a meal or bumping elbows somewhere.   :-\   Of course I am assuming that travel restrictions have not been put in place that prohibit that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:51:06 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
I'm in NY. Not the actual epicenter as that's more NYC. I'm in Oswego county. We have two confirmed cases total. One county south has 2 and one was a traveler going through.

My neighbor is an electricion and a friend of mine is driving truck, both have essential worker permits to be out on the road. I didn't believe it but it is true I've seen them. There is no martial law or lockdown yet and everyone seems to be staying home and keeping clear of each other at the stores.
I'm haveing trouble getting things online. Nobody in the warehouse to ship? I bought a ton of seeds, I might have to buy them local for this spring. There hasn't been any confirmation e-mail or tracking number in 4 days.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
Some of the small and medium sized companies I buy from online have sent emails noting they have shut down for a time.  The largest one is probably Sierra Outfitters which is owned by the same group that owns TJMax and a few other retailers.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 12:40:42 PM »
Our plans are bumping elbows with our western brothers and sisters.  When we can.  You guys are important to us.  Regardless of wolfy's appeareance.
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 02:04:34 PM »
 :spider: :shocked:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »
Sue and I cleaned out our bedroom today.  All the pictures off the wall, glass cleaned, nic-nacs taken out and wiped down,  all the furniture and bed moved to one side and ran the vacuum under stuff that hadn't been moved around in a couple of years. The whole time I am watching the thermometer and thinking I better get in a bike ride.  We are done now and I am too tired to go out.   :'(

(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 06:09:12 AM »
Kelly's going over financial options.  I'm sitting in my underwear watching b movies.  Max is keeping the floor warm waiting for his next neighborhood bunny buddy encounter.  He's quite confused the bunny runs towards him and not away from him.  Doesn't do anything about it though.  Soon he'll be licking her babies.  Sheesh. Puh
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »
Still in my underwear. Looking at my fly tying box... naw.  Kindle?   Well . Burned out on zomby stories.  Tony Bourdain.  Kinda depressing.  Love him... but...
huh?

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
A few random thoughts as I "Twiddle my Finners"  :)

Every year, there is a period of yucky spring days. The snow is melting, but the frost is not out of the ground, so the water sits on top and thaws the sod and dirt down just a couple inches. Everywhere you step is like walking on a wet sponge. The dog drags in water and mud on his feet and then acts insulted when I make him kennel up for a few minutes while he dries off.
Another couple weeks and we'll be able to start getting things done outside. This year, the yuckyness just seems to be dragging on longer than normal.
Hmmm, yuckyness doesn't seem to be a word, there is no correct spelling. But you know what I mean.

After watching 300 "Breaking News" and "Special Reports", it's no longer breaking news, nor does it seem to be special. Apparently I'm jaded already and it's only into the second month.

Oligodynamic effect. Nifty property of some metals to kill bacteria and viruses. Silver and Copper seem to lead the pack. Nice to know my pocket change is hard at work killing Covid19 as I sleep.

Remember when the old buildings had brass (mostly copper) trim. Door handles, push plates, hand railings and so on. Turns out, they killed a lot of the "germs". But they required attention to keep them looking good. So the move to incorporate stainless steel instead. Now there's just the opposite, a real haven for disease. But, upkeep and maintenance are cheap and easy. And in a big building you can eliminate at least one full time maintenance worker. What a deal.

I always thought the old buildings with their varnished Oak and Brass trim had more class than the Glass and Stainless we see now. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I always thought the old buildings were constructed when money was spent for quality and permanence. Now, not so much.

I checked gas prices using an online pricing site. It's $1.89 at the pump. Great. All my tanks are full and I've got no where to go. I'm trying to remember what I did to deserve that bit of Karma.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »
Yeah, it figures that gas prices would crater when I have nowhere to go. :P

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 06:48:23 AM »
I always have an abundance of gas... wait...
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
Kelly comes back from Lowe's home Improvement Store(I know be quiet),  with a board to fix the small MOLDING! Piece that does need to be replaced.  Did you measure?  No, the 4 inch looked too small.  Now if thats not a women's logic.  Bear in mind she helped build our cabin in the mountains.  Ya just can't get around their logic.
huh?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 06:00:57 PM »
I've been in a tizzy. I got my disk set all torn apart waiting on 8 new bearings and 10 disks. Going to take the best of the 20 for the rear and put the 10 new up front. round front, cutter rear. I'm hoping it breaks down the clumps real well. Our soil is kind of sandy. My seed vault will be here tommorrow so I can map out what's going to go where.
I let my neighbor borrow my rototiller. He's had it two years claiming "it needs a carb". I got it back to find the tines were nearly concreted solid mixed with a ton of long grass wrapped around everything. The wheels were locked up and it turns out the drive chain is broken inside the case. Easy replacement except the entire machine has to be dissasembled because it's two stamped steel halves bolted togther with the chain inside. Spent all day yesterday with a hammer and chisel and the high pressure washer to get it clean enough to find the nuts and bolts. GRRRRRR!
The good news is the dump trailer is finish welded so I can use it again without the sides falling off. Now to pump out the pond so I can start digging it out again.Haven't been off the proprty in two weeks.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
I have a neighbor like yours.  He moved away but once I loaned him my calf puller and he griped at me that it was hard to assemble.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 08:44:49 AM »
I just ate a whole bag of Cheetos... for breakfast.
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
Hamburgers, along with a side of Cheetos....the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. :)

-Jules

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
I had a peanut butter and Nutella on toasted bread.  Coffee to wash it down.  I gotta find a bigger belt.

A neighbor stopped by yesterday.  I am scared of visitors now.  After he left we disinfected the table and chair and his cup.  I lay in bed last night thinking it will be three days at least before we know if he brought the virus with him into our house.  He is a rancher so odds are he didn't, but the concern won't go away.   

(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »
I cant remember where I posted this sp far so please forgive if a repeat.  My wife's principal canceled her cruise and went to visit relatives in Miami.  Yeah.  MIAMI!!!  Hot spot of confirmed. Cases in FL.  This is the the administration personnel that people trust to the care of their children.  She was quarantined for 2 weeks and has to
Ake announces via computer link.  Nice lady.  Dumb as a doorknob.
huh?

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
Spent the day blocking the driveway. Put up No trespassing signs, reflectors and physical barriers. 30 second removal for Fire or ambulance, anyone else is just being rude. I'm not going to use the driveway for at least a month so why not. I've got a phone, if someone needs to talk, I'll meet 'em at the driveway.
 :shrug:

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 05:19:38 PM »
well not doing a whole lot been working around the property cleaning up a bit.
cleaning up the house throwing some things out and such.
too much time on the internet i feel as though i have the bug.
anyhow that's about it for me,

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
I went up past Big Sky to Ousel Falls Park.  The Guvnah issued an order closing stuff but expressly excluded the parks and woods; getting out is good as long as you practice [anti?]social distancing.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
Looks like a good place to wander around.  You got a lot more snow than us.  Did you see anyone else while you were out? 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
The Falls are up around 7k feet so there will probably be snow up there for a quite a while.  It's a nice hike, a bit difficult and steep in parts, and of course very icy right now.  I had ice crampons and trekking poles so that made the going a lot easier.  I took a few more pics but nothing for wildlife or anything, don't see a lot of critters this time of year but there was sign and tracks.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
Not much popping here.  Managed this morning, to grocery shop for all of April.  Liquor cabinet is stocked.  Books on hand or download. 

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 05:38:07 AM »
Gotta make a first light run to the grocery store for perishables.  Tandem shopping with a list.  Might even break out 2 N95's and latex gloves.  Our case  numbers locally is starting to accelerate.  It may well come to mixing canned condensed milk and I am digging out the dehydrator for fruit.

huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 09:09:26 AM »
The nearest Walmart to us is open for seniors only from 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM.  A friend went and got there at 6:00 AM.  There were people lined up for a long ways. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
Wallworld wasn't on our list.  Smaller stores
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:26 AM »
Almost done inventoring the pantry.  I'm pretty proud of my prep.  Now its maintenance.  Still trying to figger out how to prep for a keto diet.  But if it comes to that, I can postpone.
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »
Best price on 22?
huh?

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 10:48:10 AM »
Best price on 22?

Best price on .22 was probably about a month and a half ago.  People have been stocking up for a while now so it is in pretty short supply again and prices are going up from what I'm reading.  I stocked up after the last supply crunch a few years ago so haven't been looking for any.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
I know.  But prices are still going to up.  Think AK 47 and AR's
  Went up never came back down to where they were.  I'm not panic buying.  Just did an inventory of food and ammo
  We shot a lot of 22 and just need to top the store off.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
I am in good shape on that stuff.  Our pantry looks good for up to six months except for perishables.  We also have a 50 # bag of flour and 100 # of rice.  The freezers have a couple of deer and a lot of beef hamburger and steak.  We can weather any storm for a time. 

I did hear that in the town south of us they closed the Safeway and an independent grocery and they have gone to phone orders and you pick them up out front of the store.  I got this from a person so I don't know for sure that it is true. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »
I guess we're preaching to the choir here.  Shelter, water, food.  The othe stuff is comfort.
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Yeah, I figure all of you guys that I know here on this forum are probably sitting pretty good right now.....as are we.  We did defrost & clean-out the freezer a couple of days ago to take inventory, as much as anything else.  Probably 1 1/2 deer, and quite a bit of pork steak & chicken that we bought when it went on sale last month.....that's really good for grilling, probably my hands-down favorite steak off the grill. :drool:    I've also purchased a several month supply of dried food in nitrogen-filled packaging over the past couple of years.  It supposedly has a 25 year shelf-life....who knows? :shrug:

We are short on canned green beans....don't know how that happened.  I've got more ammo than I?ll probably use in a lifetime, but it's as good as gold (maybe better) for trading and bartering for things we need.....like green beans! :-\

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »
I'm good for at least another month or better, but I thought I should inventory the hunting and trapping supplies in case things turn really sour. I came to the horrifying realization that I don't know what a Cheetos habitat is or what to use for bait. The internet was of no help. A pragmatic acceptance of my fate may well be my only recourse. Maybe I can substitute something with fry bread.