Author Topic: Small lightweight tarp for ground dwelling  (Read 877 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Small lightweight tarp for ground dwelling
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:20:39 AM »
From 1.1 oz Silpoly, I made a small but versatile tarp for ground sleeping or wind protection.
It's 70 inches x 110 inches, and weights 9.4 ounces.
There is nothing really existing about this video, just in case you might be interested in making your own tarp, and not sure how to go about it, it can be helpful.

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Small lightweight tarp for ground dwelling
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:07:37 AM »
From 1.1 oz Silpoly, I made a small but versatile tarp for ground sleeping or wind protection.
It's 70 inches x 110 inches, and weights 9.4 ounces.
There is nothing really existing about this video, just in case you might be interested in making your own tarp, and not sure how to go about it, it can be helpful.

Good job Dabberty,  I love tarps, I don't do overnights anymore,  years + gravity + joint wear eventually gang up on a body and as much as I love the woods when it gets to be bedtime I'm longing for my sleep number adjustable bed.
 I have three great tarp shelters, a 10'x10', 5' x 7' tarp, and a 5' x 7' poncho/tarp, when I'm going on a day hike and know that the weather is threatening I carry my 10' x 10',  but generally I take along the one or the other of the 5' x 7''s, they are easy to put up and add a finishing touch to any temporary camp that makes it feel like home.
 Enjoy your new tarp my friend. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »
Thanks Dabberty, I appreciate this post as I need to sew some tie downs on a small tarp that I use to cover my wood splitter when I am not using it.  Your method looks like something I can do with some synthetic materials that I have and some lengths of paracord sewn on like your tape. 

The size and shape certainly looks like it will be versatile for lots of uses.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
Tarps are about the handiest and lightest shelter out there.....the more pullouts, the better, in my opinion.  There just doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of ways they can be configured.  Nice job on the tarp and the video, Dabberty! :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:20:23 PM »
Thanks! Completely agree Wolfy, the more tie out point the better.
Good luck wdstan, post some pics when done plz
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com