Author Topic: ZERO CARB 'FRIED' CHICKEN....YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!  (Read 2438 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
ZERO CARB 'FRIED' CHICKEN....YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
As I revealed in one of my posts a couple of days ago, I have been adhering to a low-carb diet and have lost 110 lbs. doing it.  It was difficult at first to find acceptable recipes for things that I loved, but could no longer eat and stay under the diet's daily allowable 25-35 gram carbohydrate parameters, but new recipes for great tasting substitutes abound on the Internet these days.  One of the things I missed most was FRIED CHICKEN. :drool:   This method produces a good crunchy coating on the exterior and juicy & tender interior.  We actually prefer this method over the fried chicken that we used to make!  I wouldn't have believed it either, but just try it ONCE....and we think you'll be hooked. :shrug:   Don't let the pork rinds fool you....even if you don't like pork rinds, you'll never know that they're there.

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz. pork rinds (regular or spicy....your call)
3/4 t. thyme
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. oregano
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. paprika
6 chicken thighs and/or legs....breasts & wishbones work too, but I like the dark meat.

1 egg
1-2 oz. mayo
1 1/2 t. dijon mustard

METHOD:

Preheat oven (Dutch oven or home oven) to 400 degrees
Crush pork rinds in a gallon-sized ziplock with a rolling pin and mix with the dry spices.

Mix the mayo, egg and mustard.

Dip each piece in the egg mixture and then roll the pieces in the pork rind mixture.

Place chicken pieces on a wire rack in the bottom of your preheated Dutch oven or on a rack on top of a baking pan in your home oven and bake for 45 minutes.

I know it sounds weird, but it tastes GREAT! :drool: :shrug:

WOLFY APPROVED!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:05:25 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: ZERO CARB 'FRIED' CHICKEN....YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
2 oz of pork rinds.  How much is that, like a 5 gallon bucket full?

Seriously I like them and fried chicken too so we will give it a try.  Thanks
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »
 :rofl:  Yeah, 2 ounces of pork rinds pretty much fills up a gallon ziplock, but they'll reduce to a couple of good handfuls after they're crushed with the rolling pin. :chopwood:

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »
That sounds like a great recipe Craig. I'll definitely give this a try, thanks.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
Pork Rinds reminds me of 'Cracklins'. The kind you get when you render out your own lard. Haven't done that in years. The closest I get is baking the skin from a 'bone in ham' in a cast iron frying pan in the oven. Close, but still not a real cracklin'. There were a few things about the 'good' old days' that were actually good.

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 12:08:14 AM »
Congratulations with the weight loss!
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 11:24:43 AM »
Here's a tip from Heather on making the crusty exterior even more crunchy......if you place the wire rack on top of the top edges of the drip pan, so air can more easily surround the chicken pieces, the coating will be at its crispiest.  Also, using the convection feature of your home oven helps in the crispness of the coating, too....but it's not crucial to the outcome. :popcorn:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 09:14:52 PM »

I do about the same recipe,  but I use a mix of crushed corn flakes and Frenches dried onion rings,
placing the rack on a baking sheet covered with HD Aluminum foil with the shinny side up helps crisp up the bottoms of the chicken pieces,  also I found that letting the dipped and rolled chicken pieces to rest on a paper towel covered plate to dry out a bit before baking them helps to keep the topping from coming off in the cooking process. 
 I also use Goya sugarless no salt added Adobo seasoning to season the chicken pieces before coating.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
This is a LOW carb thread, Moe....your ingredients are nothing but pure poison to those of us seeking purity! :rolleyes:

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 05:50:14 AM »
If you havent done your homework or just dont want to be limited by a diet,  Moe's recipe sounds great.  Wolfy's is going to get tried in this household.  There's no way Kelly is going to adhere to the keto diet for even a week.  She cant live without bread, cinnamon buns, potato chips, etc.

However,  I'm learning about keto friendly bread and pasta.
huh?

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 07:22:00 AM »
This is a LOW carb thread, Moe....your ingredients are nothing but pure poison to those of us seeking purity! :rolleyes:

I didn't intend to inject any type of poison into your life my friend, I'm not on any type of specialty diet, I do try to eat healthy, back a few years ago I was up to 300 lbs. and was diagnosed as being borderline type 2 diabetic, my doctor insisted that I had to loose weight if I wanted to avoid some pretty serious complications in the future.
 He hooked me up with a great dietician who screened my past eating practices and together we came up with a plan that would allow me flexibility in my diet but still trim off the pounds that I needed to drop.
 I'm one of those people who lives to eat,  not one who eats to live, I enjoy all types of foods, including those that the food Nazi's tell us is bad for us, so you can imagine my fear of having to give up carbs, fatty meats like beef and pork, cake, chocolate, eggs, sugar,  pancakes,  bread, no more coffee rolls and cinnamon buns, Damn.
 Well as it turns out I didn't have to give up my favorite foods,  all I had to do is modify my portions,  adjust my cooking methods a little,  and substitute a few ingredients,  in short the key to my successful transformation for healthier eating was everything in moderation and getting the right balance in my diet.
 Today I still enjoy all my favorite foods, I'm 75 pound lighter, and my diabetes is under control with the help of a couple of pills a day,  I'm told if I shed another 25 pounds I'll probably be off the meds completely.
 It's said that all of us must hike our own hikes,  if we search hard enough we usually find that there's more than one trail that leads to where we want to go. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »
If you havent done your homework or just dont want to be limited by a diet,  Moe's recipe sounds great.  Wolfy's is going to get tried in this household.  There's no way Kelly is going to adhere to the keto diet for even a week.  She cant live without bread, cinnamon buns, potato chips, etc.

However,  I'm learning about keto friendly bread and pasta.

The problem with most scripted diets is that they get old after a while or they end up bringing about complications down the road that we aren't prepared to deal with, there have been so many diets on the market over the years that they are hard to keep track of.
 We have a couple that we have been friends with since my wife and I started dating almost fifty years ago,  the wife is a home maker, her husband is an executive in human resources for a large electronics corporation, after a decade or so of riding a desk he started putting on a few extra pounds and his wife was starting to feel a bit chubby, so they decided to "go on a diet",  after several tries that didn't scratch the itch they finally settled on a new diet out named the Atkin's diet (I think that's the one), it was basically a high protein, high fat, low carb diet that consisted of fat rich meats, specific veggies, almost no carbs, and zero sugars or fruit that contained a lot of natural sugars.
 They did well with it,  found it easy to adjust to the basically all meat diet, and they soon began to loose weight and they felt better overall, for the short term,  but after almost a year on the diet they started to experience some fatigue, some changes in regularity, and some joint pain, a few trips to their doctor, some blood tests, and a change of diet had them feeling much better, it turns out they weren't getting some of the nutrients that they needed from certain fruits, veggies, and carbs that their bodies needed to maintain a healthy balance.
 Another thing about dieting when you are a couple is that if you are not both on the same diet your chances of success are diminished, it's a tough thing to sit next to your wife while she enjoys a bowl full of Doritos or Lay's Wavy Chips,  or a Klondike original and not want to grab some yourself,  for me having to give up fresh baked bread smothered in butter, pancakes, and chocolate cake would be a killer.
 Practicing moderation allows you to continue eating those foods that satisfy while still being able to  keep a healthy balance of nutrition and weight control in your diet.     

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:28 AM »

Sorry Bud,  I'll go away now. 

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »
C'mon Moe.  We've all been through worse debates than this here.

I will not last a lifetime on keto.  But if I hit a target point I will adjust to a sustainable diet plan that I've always had,  I can maintain through excercise.
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
 :lol: There's no need to go away, Moe.....it's good to see you back!  As a matter of fact, I miss our virtual swordplay of words :duel: even more than MOM'S BAKED MAC & CHEESE!  :rofl:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »

Tony & Craig, I'm not upset,  and I'm not going away away, just not going to sidetrack this thread any more than I already have, which I apologize for,  I really wasn't thinking when I posted my recipe.
 I'm pretty sure that most of us here that have been here since the beginning have thick enough skin and respect each other enough to be able to kid around without getting upset with each other.
 Most of you I think will understand this,  While I have a great and rather large family,  we are pretty close relationship wise and most of us are within driving distance from one another,  however all of my close friends, shooting, hunting, and fishing buddies that were my age (and there were quite a few) are all gone,  I have a few younger friends that I see at the Rod and Gun and one of my sons that I get to see often,  but sometimes you just need to get together with geezers your own age and talk about the olden days (GRIN),  and you guys here are them,  I can't tell you just how much the friendship that all of you have extended to me has meant to me over the years, so as far as I know I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.     

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »
My wife and I made Wolfy's chicken tonight.  It was very good

Thanks for the recipe Craig.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »
My pleasure! :cheers:

We had no-carb Buffalo Chicken Wings (using the original Anchor Steam Bar recipe...easily Googled), celery sticks and blue cheese dressing with LOTS more crumbled blue cheese.  We each washed it all down with a frosty mug of Michelob Ultra, imbibing only 2.6 grams of carbs/can! :cheers:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 10:39:20 AM »
If anyone tries this chicken recipe in an air fryer, I'd like to hear what you think about the results.  We don't have one.....yet. :shrug:

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
I have cooked steak and hamburgers in ours and chicken should work well.  Heck, I made biscuits in it yesterday.  I will let you know.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
We did airfryer chicken tenders with a little Panko.  Nummy.
huh?