Author Topic: Keto help  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Keto help
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »
So I've dropped a few and then plateaued.  I'm so out of cardio shape it's going to take some time.  Walking, paddling, and mountain biking will help.  Running is a recipe for disaster.  Can somebody point me to a keto diet self help site?  With wolfy's success I'm encourage to try.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Keto help
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
I looked into the Keto diet a couple of months back, primarily due to the success wolfy has had with it.  He will probably be along soon and give you some input but here are a couple of sites with a lot of information:

https://www.health.com/nutrition/keto-diet-grocery-list

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323544

Good luck with this Tony, I really hope it works out well for you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Hang in there, Tony....I'll try to get some recipes posted and some tips that have helped me the most in the next day or two.  Plateaus are a bummer.  I have a suggestion for that, too.

A simple Google search of everything you stick in your face is the simplest way to go.  Just Google 'carbs or nutritional value in ******' to find out how many are in each food item.  Keep track of the daily tally to stay below 25-35 grams/day.  Don't forget to subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs to get a true carb value for each food item.  Watch the sugar content in fruits and some vegetables like carrots and onions.....bananas are a deal buster! >:(

I'll be back with more info as time permits. :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
For best luck you really do have to make sure to eat fat- a lot of fat.  More fat than you'd think!  Most of the doctors that are experts on keto lay out the following macros (or something close):

75% Fat
23% Protein
2% Carbs

It's not easy to eat that much fat, at least it's not something that comes easy to folks.  After decades of low fat brainwashing it's hard to break the pattern. Even low carb eaters tend to eat too much protein and not enough fat.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
You may not be surprised, but I have a solution to that quandary........... ....AND it involves CHOCOLATE! :drool:

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Perusing Keto bread recipes. 
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
KETO PIZZA....makes 2 individual 8'' pizzas

Preheat oven to 450*

Crust:

2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1 beaten egg

Combine first 4 crust ingredients & microwave for 25 seconds, then stir the beaten egg into the warmed dough.  Divide dough into two dough balls and flatten on parchment paper that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  It helps to moisten your hands to do this.  Poke holes all over the dough pieces with a fork.  Bake on top rack of oven for 10 minutes.  Remove and flip the pieces over. 

Toppings:

Cover each individual pizza with 1 1/2 tablespoons of no-sugar pizza sauce (Mezzetta Pizza Sauce is a good one), 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, browned & crumbled Italian sausage, sliced black olives, mushroom pieces, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and fresh grated Parmesan cheese over top.....your call on amounts, since they're all carb free.

Place back in oven and bake for another  3-4 minutes. ENJOY! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Dayum, that sounds good. :stir:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
So I've dropped a few and then plateaued.  I'm so out of cardio shape it's going to take some time.  Walking, paddling, and mountain biking will help.  Running is a recipe for disaster.  Can somebody point me to a keto diet self help site?  With wolfy's success I'm encourage to try.

For best luck you really do have to make sure to eat fat- a lot of fat.  More fat than you'd think!  Most of the doctors that are experts on keto lay out the following macros (or something close):

75% Fat
23% Protein
2% Carbs

It's not easy to eat that much fat, at least it's not something that comes easy to folks.  After decades of low fat brainwashing it's hard to break the pattern. Even low carb eaters tend to eat too much protein and not enough fat.

As Phaedrus noted, getting enough healthy fats can be a problem with the keto style of eating.  The dreaded PLATEAU is usually a sign of not getting enough fat in your daily diet.

Fat Bombs, as they're commonly called, are the answer.....I call 'em GREASE BALLS! :lol:  They kind of remind me of a chocolate truffle and they're super easy to make. :stir:

GREASE BALLS:

Ingredients:

6 T. Cocoa
10 T. SWERVE sweetener (no crummy aftertaste).  It's kinda expensive, but it's a natural sugar alcohol that passes through your kidneys without your body assimilating it......well worth it!
1 t. GOOD vanilla
1/2 C. Coconut oil @ room temperature
1 stick REAL butter @ room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese @ room temperature
Dash of salt

Method:

Put all the ingredients in the bowl of your stand-mixer and whip at the highest speed on your mixer until fluffy.
Scoop, with a small ice cream-type scoop about the size of a melon baller, into cupcake papers in a muffin tin....2-3 per paper.  Put into freezer until frozen.  When you're cravin' a truffle, take one out of the freezer and thaw for about 15 minutes before eating.  I prescribe one cupcake paper per day.....pretty danged tasty AND I'll wager that you'll get off that plateau! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 07:55:20 PM »
Tony....I'm wondering if you want more of the recipes that I've found useful or do you wish to follow your own path? :shrug:

I have a delicious vanilla ice cream recipe that I really enjoy, but if it wouldn't be useful to you I'll give my fingers a rest. ;D

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
My friend share as much as you can.  So far this diet is magic.  I've dropped a lot since you met me. Put
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
OK, I'll be happy to post some more info, but it'll have to wait for a bit....Heather's making me clean some of my treasures, or 'crap,' as she calls it, out the garage!  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:36:41 AM by wolfy »

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Making spaghetti squash ...uh... spaghetti .
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »
I made veggie lasagna a coupla times replacing past with zucchini.  Think I'll try that next
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
I have a cup of keto ice cream every night before I go to bed.  Necessary, because I take a medication that is SUPPOSED :rolleyes: to help me relax enough to get to sleep and it says on the bottle that it should be taken with food. :thumbsup:

Heather gave me a Cuisinart tabletop ice cream freezer for Christmas a couple of years ago that comes in real handy for whipping up a quart of fresh homemade ice cream in about a half hour.  This recipe is good for around 1 1/2 quarts.....divided into two batches.  Store the unfrozen portion in the refrigerator for the second batch, after the freezer tub refreezes again overnight.

KETO VANILLA ICE CREAM

1 pint half & half
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 pint whole liquid eggs or egg whites
2 T GOOD vanilla
1 t  salt
3/4 cup SWERVE granulated sweetener

Method:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in your stand-mixer.  Pour ingredients into your ice cream freezer and freeze until the machine begins laboring....about 1/2 hour.  Remove from freezer and put it in a pre-frozen, microwaveable, rectangular plastic snap-top container....store in your home freezer to firm up.   This stuff gets REAL hard after the first few hours....too hard to scoop, as a matter of fact. ???    The solution to that is to pop it into the microwave for about 60 seconds....YMMV.  As the level of ice cream goes down throughout the week, incrementally lessen the amount of time in the microwave.  It helps to keep the ice cream at a consistent level on top as you scrape out each day's portion, so the ice cream softens consistently in the microwave.  I just eat it right out of the container and scrape it level each night before storing in the freezer again.

This stuff is REALLY good! :drool: ......and WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:47:54 AM by wolfy »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 09:45:30 AM »
One ingredient I forgot to mention in the Keto ice cream recipe, and one we've found to be important is ONE SHOT OF VODKA....sounds weird, I know, but it stops the big ice crystals from forming.  It doesn't keep it from becoming rock-hard, but it does stop the big pellets of ice from forming.  After taking it out of the freezer, a few seconds in the microwave softens it enough to serve it easily....otherwise it takes a jackhammer to get it out of the container.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 12:32:04 PM »
I was eating Rebel Keto ice cream until my greed put an end to that.

My 38 waist pants are held up by a sturdy belt.  Dropping down to a 36 soon.   It's slogging those miles in the forest walking the dingos.  But my weight prevented me from hitting my target mileage until keto.  After that if I keep up the mileage, I'm losing.

Not to mention the spawn of satan (Tellico).  He'll knock you down if you're not paying attention. 

shhhh.  We finally wore him out this morning.  He's been passed out on the fainting couch all afternoon.

I'll let you know if I ever make it back to a 34 waist.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »
KETO MEATLOAF:

We've been tinkering with this recipe and we think it just might be the best we've ever made. :drool:
Up until we started making this one, I'd been avoiding meatloaf because of the bread crumbs that most recipes call for.  This version contains ZERO carbs and the texture is superb!

Here goes...

Preheat oven to 400*

3# ground meat....any kind or combination of ground meats will work, but we use deer and you'd never know it.  :shrug:

ADD THE FOLLOWING TO THE MEAT:

6 oz. grated Parmesan
1 cup finely minced onion
1 cup 'pork panko'....made by rolling regular pork rinds to a fine powder in a gallon ziplock.
1 t. salt....or to taste
3 large eggs
2 T. minced garlic
9-10 strips of bacon....optional, but with KETO, FAT IS GOOD!

METHOD:

Mix thoroughly using your hands and place in your preferred loaf pan or dish. Sprinkle a few Tablespoons of Parmesan over the top of the loaf.  Cover top of loaf with 9-10 strips of bacon.

Place in preheated 400* oven for ONE HOUR
After one hour, place oven on 'broil' at 550* for 5 minutes to crisp the bacon.

When you remove the finished loaf from the oven you will see a LOT of fat....which is a good thing.  You can lift the loaf easily and leave the fat if you wish....or spoon it over the meat for a little more tasty fat! :drool:

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
ooooooooh.  You had me at pork panko flour.

Sheeeeess!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 01:34:27 PM »
ooooooooh.  You had me at pork panko flour.

Sheeeeess!!

:rofl: Yeah, I didn't know how the 'pork panko' would affect the outcome of the meatloaf, but I couldn't taste their flavor in the end product at all, so, I always save a few to munch on while the meatloaf is in the oven. ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »
Went to talk to my investment counselor yesterday.  I talk to him once in awhile but only see him once a year.  He has lost 70 pounds dropping down to 165.  I was initially afraid to ask him about the weight loss.  It is a modified Keto diet and he has a coach.  Talks to the coach once a week to prevent himself from falling back into his old eating habits.  He is younger than us at 58.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 01:56:38 PM »
I'm a believer in a month or two of keto for me.  Then I plateau.  And go back to a "healthier" diet.    I'm down a bunch because of it.  I keep a log.  And review it often.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
It's interesting to note how the Keto style of eating has affected MY body.  For instance, in my case, my blood work improved significantly after starting it, as it does for almost everyone else that subscribes to the plan.  Along with losing around 110 pounds so far, my 'good cholesterol' numbers,  triglyceride levels, etc. were MUCH better, along with improved numbers in every other facet of the test....so much so, that my doctor (who is skinny as a rail) said he was amazed and wished HIS numbers were as good as mine.  The only thing he said I might wish to add to my regimen was a daily multi-vitamin....I already do that anyway, so I changed nothing.  As an added feature it greatly reduces blood sugar, so the American Diabetes Foundation is now endorsing it for diabetics....protei n & fat, the cornerstone of every nutritious breakfast! :thumbsup:  :lol: