Author Topic: Keto help  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Keto help
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »
So I've dropped a few and then plateaued.  I'm so out of cardio shape it's going to take some time.  Walking, paddling, and mountain biking will help.  Running is a recipe for disaster.  Can somebody point me to a keto diet self help site?  With wolfy's success I'm encourage to try.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Keto help
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
I looked into the Keto diet a couple of months back, primarily due to the success wolfy has had with it.  He will probably be along soon and give you some input but here are a couple of sites with a lot of information:

https://www.health.com/nutrition/keto-diet-grocery-list

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323544

Good luck with this Tony, I really hope it works out well for you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Hang in there, Tony....I'll try to get some recipes posted and some tips that have helped me the most in the next day or two.  Plateaus are a bummer.  I have a suggestion for that, too.

A simple Google search of everything you stick in your face is the simplest way to go.  Just Google 'carbs or nutritional value in ******' to find out how many are in each food item.  Keep track of the daily tally to stay below 25-35 grams/day.  Don't forget to subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs to get a true carb value for each food item.  Watch the sugar content in fruits and some vegetables like carrots and onions.....bananas are a deal buster! >:(

I'll be back with more info as time permits. :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
For best luck you really do have to make sure to eat fat- a lot of fat.  More fat than you'd think!  Most of the doctors that are experts on keto lay out the following macros (or something close):

75% Fat
23% Protein
2% Carbs

It's not easy to eat that much fat, at least it's not something that comes easy to folks.  After decades of low fat brainwashing it's hard to break the pattern. Even low carb eaters tend to eat too much protein and not enough fat.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
You may not be surprised, but I have a solution to that quandary........... ....AND it involves CHOCOLATE! :drool:

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Perusing Keto bread recipes. 
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
KETO PIZZA....makes 2 individual 8'' pizzas

Preheat oven to 450*

Crust:

2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1 beaten egg

Combine first 4 crust ingredients & microwave for 25 seconds, then stir the beaten egg into the warmed dough.  Divide dough into two dough balls and flatten on parchment paper that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  It helps to moisten your hands to do this.  Poke holes all over the dough pieces with a fork.  Bake on top rack of oven for 10 minutes.  Remove and flip the pieces over. 

Toppings:

Cover each individual pizza with 1 1/2 tablespoons of no-sugar pizza sauce (Mezzetta Pizza Sauce is a good one), 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, browned & crumbled Italian sausage, sliced black olives, mushroom pieces, 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and fresh grated Parmesan cheese over top.....your call on amounts, since they're all carb free.

Place back in oven and bake for another  3-4 minutes. ENJOY! :banana:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Dayum, that sounds good. :stir:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
So I've dropped a few and then plateaued.  I'm so out of cardio shape it's going to take some time.  Walking, paddling, and mountain biking will help.  Running is a recipe for disaster.  Can somebody point me to a keto diet self help site?  With wolfy's success I'm encourage to try.

For best luck you really do have to make sure to eat fat- a lot of fat.  More fat than you'd think!  Most of the doctors that are experts on keto lay out the following macros (or something close):

75% Fat
23% Protein
2% Carbs

It's not easy to eat that much fat, at least it's not something that comes easy to folks.  After decades of low fat brainwashing it's hard to break the pattern. Even low carb eaters tend to eat too much protein and not enough fat.

As Phaedrus noted, getting enough healthy fats can be a problem with the keto style of eating.  The dreaded PLATEAU is usually a sign of not getting enough fat in your daily diet.

Fat Bombs, as they're commonly called, are the answer.....I call 'em GREASE BALLS! :lol:  They kind of remind me of a chocolate truffle and they're super easy to make. :stir:

GREASE BALLS:

Ingredients:

6 T. Cocoa
10 T. SWERVE sweetener (no crummy aftertaste).  It's kinda expensive, but it's a natural sugar alcohol that passes through your kidneys without your body assimilating it......well worth it!
1 t. GOOD vanilla
1/2 C. Coconut oil @ room temperature
1 stick REAL butter @ room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese @ room temperature
Dash of salt

Method:

Put all the ingredients in the bowl of your stand-mixer and whip at the highest speed on your mixer until fluffy.
Scoop, with a small ice cream-type scoop about the size of a melon baller, into cupcake papers in a muffin tin....2-3 per paper.  Put into freezer until frozen.  When you're cravin' a truffle, take one out of the freezer and thaw for about 15 minutes before eating.  I prescribe one cupcake paper per day.....pretty danged tasty AND I'll wager that you'll get off that plateau! :thumbsup:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 07:55:20 PM »
Tony....I'm wondering if you want more of the recipes that I've found useful or do you wish to follow your own path? :shrug:

I have a delicious vanilla ice cream recipe that I really enjoy, but if it wouldn't be useful to you I'll give my fingers a rest. ;D

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »
My friend share as much as you can.  So far this diet is magic.  I've dropped a lot since you met me. Put
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
OK, I'll be happy to post some more info, but it'll have to wait for a bit....Heather's making me clean some of my treasures, or 'crap,' as she calls it, out the garage!  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:36:41 AM by wolfy »

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Making spaghetti squash ...uh... spaghetti .
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »
I made veggie lasagna a coupla times replacing past with zucchini.  Think I'll try that next
huh?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
I have a cup of keto ice cream every night before I go to bed.  Necessary, because I take a medication that is SUPPOSED :rolleyes: to help me relax enough to get to sleep and it says on the bottle that it should be taken with food. :thumbsup:

Heather gave me a Cuisinart tabletop ice cream freezer for Christmas a couple of years ago that comes in real handy for whipping up a quart of fresh homemade ice cream in about a half hour.  This recipe is good for around 1 1/2 quarts.....divided into two batches.  Store the unfrozen portion in the refrigerator for the second batch, after the freezer tub refreezes again overnight.

KETO VANILLA ICE CREAM

1 pint half & half
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 pint whole liquid eggs or egg whites
2 T GOOD vanilla
1 t  salt
3/4 cup SWERVE granulated sweetener

Method:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in your stand-mixer.  Pour ingredients into your ice cream freezer and freeze until the machine begins laboring....about 1/2 hour.  Remove from freezer and put it in a pre-frozen, microwaveable, rectangular plastic snap-top container....store in your home freezer to firm up.   This stuff gets REAL hard after the first few hours....too hard to scoop, as a matter of fact. ???    The solution to that is to pop it into the microwave for about 60 seconds....YMMV.  As the level of ice cream goes down throughout the week, incrementally lessen the amount of time in the microwave.  It helps to keep the ice cream at a consistent level on top as you scrape out each day's portion, so the ice cream softens consistently in the microwave.  I just eat it right out of the container and scrape it level each night before storing in the freezer again.

This stuff is REALLY good! :drool: ......and WOLFY APPROVED! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:47:54 AM by wolfy »