Author Topic: PABST CHEESE  (Read 812 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
PABST CHEESE
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
I remember my dad lamenting the passing of Pabst's Brick Cheese and never being able to taste it again.   He said that all the 'beer joints' used to sell it to their patrons & that there was always a bowl of soda crackers available on the bar top for spreading & eating the cheese snack.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-did-pabst-do-during-prohibition?utm_source=Atlas+Obscura+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=06138930ed-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_04_14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f36db9c480-06138930ed-69712057&mc_cid=06138930ed&mc_eid=537596707d
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: PABST CHEESE
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:19 PM »
That is an interesting site.  I knew that Coors went into the ceramics business but didn't know about Pabst's cheese business and the others.  Coors also made malted milk during prohibition. 

My Dad drank Coors and that was about all I remember of beer in our house.  He ate Limburger cheese on crackers all the time too but never came home with a Pabst cheese.  There was a cheese called Liederkranz that we bought a lot and I liked it better than the Limburger. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
Re: PABST CHEESE
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:12:33 AM »
wsdstan, your Dad had quite a range of tastes. Limburger is one of the strongest cheeses, and Coors is one of the weakest beers.
My Dad liked German brick cheese, and it was very strong.
Sharper is better