General Discussion > Help Desk

beeswax candle?

(1/2) > >>

xj35s:
I have a Soresto Collar tin full of beeswax. I tried a cotton wick stuck in a hole I made. It lasted the longest until it melted enough wax to tip over. I tried a wooden match stick It burned for a long time with a flame you could barely see. I tried a thin peice of fatwood and it just burned to ashes almost instantly. I'm wondering what would make a good moveable wick that can wick wax and not burn up. I'm wondering if a hollow peice of Mullein stalk would work? Or maybe a pure cotton pipe cleaner if I can find one. Any suggestions?

wsdstan:
Here is a link to a site that talks about beeswax candles and goes into wicks plus some help with how they work.  Probably worth a look. 

https://www.beeculture.com/the-right-size-wick/

Moe M.:

--- Quote from: xj35s on April 17, 2020, 04:09:29 PM ---I have a Soresto Collar tin full of beeswax. I tried a cotton wick stuck in a hole I made. It lasted the longest until it melted enough wax to tip over. I tried a wooden match stick It burned for a long time with a flame you could barely see. I tried a thin peice of fatwood and it just burned to ashes almost instantly. I'm wondering what would make a good moveable wick that can wick wax and not burn up. I'm wondering if a hollow peice of Mullein stalk would work? Or maybe a pure cotton pipe cleaner if I can find one. Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

Yup, get a candle mold and some wicks ???

Mad-max:
I use beeswax candles for 11 nights a year at rendezvous. 

xj35s:
The cotton wick I used was the same I use for my diy UCO candle lantern beeswax candles. They work perfect in that. This tin is only 3/4" deep. Once it created a pool of melted was the wick tipped over. I'm thinking I need a small metal wick holder like tea lights have. Haven't had time to revisit this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version