Author Topic: Old school designs?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Old school designs?
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:16:35 PM »
How about a thread about old things most folks haven't seen before? This is definatly new to me. Have you ever seen or used one? It's a foot warmer from 1908.

pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: Old school designs?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
Pretty clever!

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
Interesting device and obviously not to be used in bed.  It would make a great duck blind foot warmer I think.

Here is a antique canning tool used to take hot jars out of the canner.

A second item is an old black powder reloading tool for shotshell hulls.  It is a roll crimper I believe. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:48:42 AM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
I have my great grandfather?s shotgun reloading kit.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
I have several of these and assorted things like cappers and funnels along with some old brass shells.  I have fiber wads and shot cards as well.  None of mine are family heirlooms though, just stuff I bought at local farm sales.  Don't see any of these around much anymore.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:42:16 AM »
Stan, You press down with your thumb in the ring to grip the jars? I like it.  I saw one of those crimpers at the regional market. Looked at it for a long time thinking it was for food processing somehow. The lady wasn't there to ask about it.

Imagine how delightful it would be to come in from a cold night of chores and sit in front of the fire with your feet on those pads. Be warm in a jiffy for sure.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »
Yes XJ you lift the ring up to widen the clamping arms at the bottom and then push it down with your thumb to grasp the jar when it is in the right position. 

It sure would have been useful in a buggy or an early VW with no heat.  Being made in 1908 I suppose it was also used in wagons and buggies.

I cannot find any reference to these on the internet.  If that plate wasn't stamped with the patent date I would think it might have been modified by somebody. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:30:06 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »
All my "pioneering" tools are up at the cabin.  You tend to collect some when you build a cabin with no electric tools
  Lol.  I'll get some pics in a month or so.
huh?

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Have we seen any of the Cabin here? I'd be very interested run down or pristine I don't judge.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 05:33:06 PM »
Yes but it's been awhile.  Still looks good.  I need to replace my broke azz laptop to post pics.  My phone won't do it
  I don't know why.  Hard to find the one I want right now.
huh?