Author Topic: Spring Turkey  (Read 2262 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Spring Turkey
« on: April 21, 2020, 06:42:11 PM »
Yesterday I went out for the first time this season and sat in high wind wondering what the heck I was doing out there.  No Turkey were moving around or gobbling or yelping or anything.  Whitetail deer and a lot of waterfowl were around though so there was something to watch. 

Today was a lot nicer.  70 F and and a light wind out of the northwest.   There is a place on the river that over the years I have called in a lot of birds.  I walked in to the corner of a open meadow above the river and sat at the base of a large cottonwood.   While I was getting set up I called once with a box call and got no response.  I glassed the fields across the river where there are usually some Turkeys this time of year and there was nothing that I could see.  As I lowered the glass there was a movement to the left side and a hen turkey was walking along the edge of the river bank.  Then two more came and then three of them.  At the tail end of this group was the Tom.  Sometimes calling them in doesn't work and it is just being in the right place at the right time. 

I would guess this bird is a two year old.  Decent beard, wings showed signs of a lot of drumming, and his spurs were still short and rounded on the tips.

I dressed this bird out with one of Sarge's knives, his version of the Belt knife that he posted last year.  I dressed a deer with it last year and then this turkey.  It is one of those knives that feels just perfect in your hand and it does a great job of getting in wing joints and leg joints as well as getting off the tail.  I like it quite a lot and certainly more than any other knives in my collection except for the Kephart which Sarge also made. 

Here it is: 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 07:03:17 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Spring Turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »
Congrats, Stan.  Nice bird and knife!  :cheers:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »
Thanks Nuke, I long ago became hooked on Turkey hunting and that passion has not diminished over the years.  I am lucky to live in a area where there are good populations of Merriams and, so far, the big hunting outfits have not leased up all the land out here.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
I keep meaning to try turkey hunting.  From what I understand there's a steep learning curve.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 08:56:01 AM »
LOL, that was my experience.  A LONG and steep learning curve.   
(Mark Twain)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
Can you get another tag or are you done for the season? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 09:18:40 AM »
I think maybe I am done for this year.  :shrug:   There might be left over tags available but I have not checked that yet.  We used to get two tags in the draw but about four or five years ago they dropped it to one.  Many years I got 4 turkeys when there were leftover tags but that has been awhile. 

Well I went and checked after I posted the above.  In the area I hunt there are 25 licenses leftover so they are first come first served.  Hmmmm.  :)  First time I can remember that many left ever.  Out of state folks must have stayed home.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:25:26 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »
Nice bird and blade!  Being in the right place at the right time can?t happen from the couch!  Glad you?re out giving it a go and it worked out wonderfully!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Thanks OE.

Lol, that is what I said to my wife when I was getting ready to go out the door.  "can't shoot a turkey sitting on the couch."

Thanks for the comment on the knife.  I really like Sarge's work.  He does a wonderful job with them.

(Mark Twain)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 05:42:40 AM »
Congrats Stan on getting out, bagging that nice looking bird, and using that great knife from Sarge. I'd bet you had a blast out there.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
Greg, it seemed more special than normal due to being cooped up.  I did have a blast just getting away from the news and sitting around the house waiting for the next meal or snack. I was lucky on this one.  Sarge's knife is a great one.  I am so impressed with his skill in both design and fabrication.Thanks for the reply.

I like to walk in the woods and meadows and the place I hunt is about a quarter mile from my house.  We are feeling lucky to live where we are with all that is going on.  I hope you are doing well with this situation too.
(Mark Twain)