Author Topic: Social Distancing Virtual College Graduation  (Read 198 times)

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
Social Distancing Virtual College Graduation
« on: May 02, 2020, 06:05:59 PM »
One of my daughters graduated from college today via a virtual graduation ceremony. Although we're very happy and proud of Alyssa, we were robbed of the opportunity to attend in person and participate in the celebration of her accomplishments. Months ago we had planned for a big family turnout to attend the graduation. She'll be continuing with her studies in the Masters program. Hopefully in two years we'll be able to attend an in-person celebration. All I have to say is, this SUCKS.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Re: Social Distancing Virtual College Graduation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
Congrats, Alyssa!    :cheers:

My older daughter is a college sophomore. She's finishing up the semester online. My younger daughter is/was a high school senior. She missed prom, marching band banquet, graduation ceremony & party, etc.

I agree ... it sucks!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Congratulations to Alyssa.  it sure is an irritation when all that hard work and getting that piece of paper can't be celebrated with friends and family.  This is a familiar comment by people whose children are graduating from high school, college, trade school, or whatever.  Hope it is just a bad memory next year and I think they ought to have a graduation for those who missed this year whenever they can.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 06:37:36 AM »
Congratulations are always in order for college graduation.  I skipped mine, as I was already working and did not want to burn a day off.   :)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »
Yes that sucks.  Kelly uses zoom to see "some" of her students but there'll be no hugs a or in person goodbyes.  The traditional walk around the school with all the teachers out celebrating a teachers retirement is probably out.  So after 38 eight years of teaching and Kelly will just disappear from school. 
huh?

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 08:16:14 AM »
Tell her congratulations from Lou and me.  Know this.....while it sucks that graduation ceremonies were cancelled, she and you both know that it will not diminish her accomplishments and your sacrifices to make it happen.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 09:14:39 AM »
All laud & honor to Alyssa and Kelly for their dedication and hard work! :hail:   
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline woodsorrel

• Whetstone +
    • NatureOutside
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
This is really an amazing milestone.  I'm sorry you weren't able to attend the big ceremony.  But what is important is that you were able to share this achievement with Alyssa.  There were members of my family who passed-on before I graduated college.  So my suggestion is to do something special (even if it is just a celebratory dinner at home) to show how happy she has made you.

- Woodsorrel
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Bushcraft tips and tricks:  www.NatureOutside.c om

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for their feedback, we're surely proud parents and Alyssa knows this as well. We had a Facetime call with her during the ceremony. She was sitting at home with a friend watching as her name was being announced and displayed on the screen of a YouTube stream. I'm all about technology that can make this happen, but geez, sure do wish we were there in force.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share and vent a little bit, appreciate it.