Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
New Puppy
« on: May 04, 2020, 06:09:15 AM »
Red Heeler.  First,  Max is fine .   Old, fat, and slow but fine.  Spyder1958 is a fellow Krac and heeler owner .  Awhile back we were talking about our aging heelers.  He said if I decided to get another pup, he had people that have had heelers for generations .  The stars aligned and out of the blue he called .  And voila we have a puppy.  One night at our house and I can say with confidence... He is a holy terror .  He has big paw prints to fill following Max .  Max is a little surly this morning after a long night of puppy shenanigans .  I'll get the puppy out on short wood walks this week and on the canoe and SUP too.  Man, I hope this 61 yo body and mind can keep up with training this velociraptor .

I can't seem to post pics from my phone.  My laptop went to cyber heaven.  Seems that a lot of households got new laptops for remote schooling.  They are scarce here.  But I will post pics as soon as I can.

huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Out here in the eastern part of the west there are a lot of heelers.  Most of them are blue heelers but there are some reds around.  Tony, you won't be needing to stay on the Keto diet with that dog around.  He has a high need for exercise and work.  So high that you will lose weight trying to keep up.

https://www.allthingsdogs.com/red-heeler/
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
Yeah, we thought long and hard before even thinking about a puppy.  Max was probably an adolescent and feral.  He about wore me out 11 years ago.  A lot of people give up on their first heeler.  They don't  do their research and the dog owns them.   Trained right they are the best breed imho.  Not trained they are destructive biters with a high prey instinct. 

I got a plan man.
huh?

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:26:11 AM »
Congrats on the new pup! Looking forward to pics.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »
Remember Mike Tyson.  He said everybodies got a plan till I hit em. 

You will do well, you're going in ready.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:55:59 PM »
The generation gap is narrowing slightly.  Max is a little more tolerant in proximity with the crazy rat.  But it wants to play
  Max takes that like he's  squaring off for a fight.  Puppy will learn

huh?

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:26 PM »
Congrats on the new pup Tony. How about the name? Maximilian, MaxToo, Maxium, Mondo?

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 06:26:10 AM »
Might have to drive down and meet that pup!

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
First vet visit today.  Very healthy.  Greg,  Graylon brought him back for us from his old stomping grounds,  Tellico Valley, TN.  So Tellico it is.  We have called him Max a few times already.  Max is confused.  Need a whistle for him to.  My whistle for Max is confusing too.  Love to see you Sam.  Anytime.  When are you coming into town next?  I'm going to send you a pic.  I can't  post pics with my phone (operator ignorance).  Feel free to share it here for the tribe.
huh?

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 02:17:05 PM »
Tellico, nice.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:06 PM »
Tellico is a neat name.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Things I'd forgotten since Max was little.

1.  Puppies don't  know, "No!"  no matter how loud you yell it.
2.  Baby Heelers are astoundingly fast.
3.  Baby Heelers bite.  All the time.  I'll save pics of my arms.
4.  Baby Heelers chew EVERYTHING.
5.   Puppies eat, poop, pee, and sleep.  All the time.  Other than.   .   
       biting and chewing.  (Note to self.  Get more paper towels and.    .      lysol.)
6.   Baby Heelers believe themselves to be the center of the
       universe and everything in it belongs to them.  And they'll fight
       you for it.
7.    Just because that puppy can't  get up on that coffee table
        doesn't  mean it can't tomorrow.
8.    Baby Heelers love old Heelers a lot more than old Heelers love
        baby Heelers.
9.    A baby Heeler will let go of your good boots when he's darn
        good and ready.
10.   If you think you're too old to raise a baby Heeler as a
         companion... you probably are.  And by the time you realize it...
         he owns you.
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
I need to get a new laptop.  Typing on this phone sucks.
huh?

Offline Spyder1958

• Water Stone
  • Kracaneuner Tribe
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 05:28:34 PM »
Tony I'll try and get some photo's up of the pups. Sasha just came around today with excepting the new pups, playing like she's one year old
You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.
Zig Ziglar

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »
I was laughing at all the things heelers do and know you speak from vast experience.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
I?m too old to giggle about new puppies.....they?re a PITA, but worth in the end. :thumbsup:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
We have raised a lot of hunting retrievers over the years and at present are dogless.  I miss them quite a lot.  Many puppies are like other peoples kids though,  noisy and irritating. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
We have raised a lot of hunting retrievers over the years and at present are dogless.  I miss them quite a lot.  Many puppies are like other peoples kids though,  noisy and irritating.

Yellowyak is having a camp in a great spot in June.  One of the reasons we aren't going is Tellico doesn't have the manners he needs in camp to not irritate everybody.  Breed, young age, and personality all play into a well liked camp dog.  Everybody will be judging Tel on Max and Sasha's behaviour in the past.  Tough acts to follow.
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 10:29:35 AM »
I went surfing yesterday with a buddy from GA.  Left the pack with Kelly.  She was happy to see me when I got home.  But she was a little cranky.  Max hides when Tellico starts on a rampage.  We have no respite.  He is a 💩  storm in a tornado.  He's  putting on weight and I'm pretty sure can beat me easily in the 100.  The behaviourists will tell you that puppies explore with their mouths
  Dumb puppies do.  Heeler puppies plot wide spread chaos and destruction.  While you're cleaning one catastrophe up he zooms off to do a much more destructive event.  Oddly enough both vet visits elicited , "He's ADORABLE!".  I have another name for him tha starts with an A.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Hard not to laugh at that post.   ;D  Puppies sometimes drive owners nuts.  I see ads for 6 month old dogs out here that say "cattle dog for sale.  Needs lots of room and lots of work and I am too old to keep up with him.  Doesn't like other dogs, cats, old people, or chickens. $400 (that is the most I will pay you to take him off my hands)."
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
Hahaha!  Yup.  I can relate to those poor ranchers.  If you can make it through training (His or yours?) they are incedible dogs. But SHEESH!
huh?

Offline Kelso

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 03:38:01 PM »
Mate, this thread has made my day! I'm new here and just flicking through the site, just looking and now get to start the day with a damned big smile. At 64 years I am hard pressed to remember not having a Heeler.

Stupidly, I guess, but I took it for granted that only us Aussies would have Heelers.

If you would like, checkout  - Heelersridge.asn.au - (I hope I'm not breaking rules putting that up).

When I get a bit more familiar with how to do things here, like putting up a photo, I will dig out some photos of Bindi. Just turned 9 and is a red/blue cross. My very best mate.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
Glad I made your day kelso.  PIA that Tellico is we know what kind of dog he'll turn out to be.  We'll never have another breed.
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »
So he's discovered he can stand on his hind legs and jump.  He is insistent that he is in the bathroom with me.  He has strong prey instinct.  Do the math.
huh?

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
After 38 years of civilian life,  I still am a foul mouth sailor.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 03:07:17 PM »
Sounds like more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 08:54:45 AM »
They've gone barn sour.  The minute they know they're headed back to the truck they find unlimited energy.  FL heat and humidity.  Maybe Australias' a dry heat.
huh?