Author Topic: Swedish knife  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
Swedish knife
« on: May 10, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
My X FIL gave this old knife to me when I married the crazy redhead.  :P
Sharper is better

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Swedish knife
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »
Knife is cool.  Got any pictures of the crazy redhead?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:08:14 AM »
Do you know which maker made this one?   Any way to date it?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »

I think they were called barrel knives, the body of the knife was stored in the handle then removed to use, , the blade was opened, and the body stuck back into the handle,  I think this kept the blade from closing and made it into a fixed blade knife while opened, kind of like an Openel knife when locked in the open position.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:16:26 PM »
Knife is cool.  Got any pictures of the crazy redhead?
Too scary to post, and she went back to Maine. I thought she was kidding when she said people from Maine were called "Maine-E-Aks.
Sharper is better

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
I don't know who made it, and I gave it to my Granddaughter.
Sharper is better

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 06:31:30 AM »
I don't know who made it, and I gave it to my Granddaughter.

Those knives were made by John Engstrome and several other makers in Eskilstuna Sweden in the late 1800's, while there are some examples that have survived they are pretty rare,  there was one for sale on Esty Market place for $375.00 not long ago.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 06:59:27 AM »

Stan, there were several makers that made those knives back in the later part of the 1800's, the three premiere makers were Jon Engstrome, Segerstrome, and C. Holmberg,  all from Eskilstuna in Sweden.
 There's also a set of three different sized barrel Knives at an antique dealer in NYC, the asking price is $1250.00 firm  for the set.
 There are reproductions being made that run around $50.00 on e-bay. 

All of Engstrom's barrel knives are marked 1884 regardless of what year they were made, some believe that was the first year of production,  other think it's a model number, I've heard that he only made them for one year,   but no one actually knows,  but it is an interesting design, and they were (the originals) all hand made.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
That is why I asked if Plumber knew who made it Moe.  As you mention there were many makers in the town and many of them made the Swedish barrel knife.  Some of them are marked, some are not.  There  are quite a few Eskilstuna knives on both Ebay and the Canadian Ebay site.  Besides the barrel knife there are quite a lot of conventional hunting knives.

There is one barrel knife listed for $625 made by Engstrom.  Most of the others are less money.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
That is why I asked if Plumber knew who made it Moe.  As you mention there were many makers in the town and many of them made the Swedish barrel knife.  Some of them are marked, some are not.  There  are quite a few Eskilstuna knives on both Ebay and the Canadian Ebay site.  Besides the barrel knife there are quite a lot of conventional hunting knives.

There is one barrel knife listed for $625 made by Engstrom.  Most of the others are less money.

The next time I see my Granddaughter, I'll take a closer look at the knife. What am I looking for, and where should I look?
There seems to be an E superimposed on the anchor.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:28:08 PM by Plumber »
Sharper is better

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »
Eskilstuna made barrel knives are sometimes marked on the blade with the makers name.  There may be some that are marked elsewhere or with a makers mark instead of the full name.  Some are marked on the brass too.

Bear in mind that barrel knives have been made in a lot of other countries besides Sweden too. 
Here is a post from BladeForums that has some information about them. 

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/barrel-knives.904808/  (go to the second post in the thread)
(Mark Twain)