Author Topic: DRINKIN'  (Read 498 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
DRINKIN'
« on: May 13, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
Anybody doin' more of it?  I am!  :-[

My pleasure, of late, has been the Irish whiskey, Jameson's.  Pretty danged smooth on the way down to the gullet and not as expensive as the single-malt scotches I was imbibing over the last several years. 

What are your preferences? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Re: DRINKIN'
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:12:55 PM »
Not doin' any more nor any less.
Jack Ryan Beggars Bush and Tullamore D.E.W.
Both bottles are workin' on their second anniversary on the shelf. By next Christmas they'll need replacement.
Tullamore D.E.W. is at the top of the preferred list. So smooth you don't realize your polluted until you stand up. Gotta be careful with it.
Nothing wrong with Jack Ryan Beggars Bush. Not to be turned down when offered, that's for sure.

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:56:23 AM »
Went on the wagon after Hushnel's camp (Feb something?) for my keto diet.  Don't miss the booze as much as bread and sweets.
huh?

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 05:58:59 AM »
Probably a bit more, but nothing steady.  I prefer Bourbon

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
Being blessed or cursed with a metabolism that makes me a two beer drunk I avoid drinking to excess. (However much or little that may be)  My imposed limit is two beers if I am a rider and no beers if I am a driver. 

I do drink a little wine and whiskey but so little I have no taste for it that is worth mentioning.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
We usually have a Michelob Ultra (2.6 grams of carbs) with Buffalo chicken wings or a keto pizza or a glass of red wine with a grilled steak, but lately, in the evening while enjoying a movie, I have taken to enjoying a single, 3-finger, glass of good whisky.  Either, a good single-malt scotch or a good drink of Jameson's......I sleep like a baby. ;)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »

Wow, I had no Idea I was keeping company with a bunch of drunks. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »
The nice thing about small children, yoga pants and drunks is . . . . . .they all tell the truth!  :banana:

The inflatable dart board, the blow up boat anchor, fireproof matches and the book "How to Read" all invented by drunks.
Oh, and my personal favorite, the toilet seat that is shaped like a "C" instead of an "O". That way it doesn't hit you in the back of the neck while praying to the porcelain god.  :banana:

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 04:15:46 PM »
There is iron in your words, Pete!  :lol:

Holding steady but exploring some new and new-to-me bourbons and a Tennessee whisky here and there. Managed to get my hands on one $35 bottle of Henry McKenna before it won a major award. Haven't seen a bottle around here in a while. See it online now for $90-120 for 750ml bottle.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »
I like a glass of red wine with a steak, and a dark beer with almost anything.

The best cough syrup.
Sharper is better

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:58 AM »
Ever since my roadtrip in Scotland visiting castles and distilleries in 2009, I started appreciating the Scottish whisky a lot.
Together with some nice rum and an occasional herb liquor I have all i want for regarding drinks.
Currently I am zipping on:

Jura Prophecy, a havely peated dark tasting whisky
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/isle-of-jura/isle-of-jura-prophecy-whisky/

Talisker Darm Storm, some serious heavy stuff
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/talisker/talisker-dark-storm-1l-whisky/

Juttertje, a Dutch herbal liquor
https://www.holland-at-home.com/en/juttertje-herbal-liqueur-1-bottle-of-700-ml.html

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 06:42:15 PM »
I don't drink anymore.

Of course, I don't drink any less.

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
the belvanie 12yr single malt.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »
Many years ago I was in a ski resort in the French Alps. At dinner they served a red wine that I thought was great. Back in the States, the closest I can find is "Gionelli Lambrusco". It's not expensive and makes an excellent everyday table wine. It's not to dry and not to sweet. Try it, if you don't like it, you'll only be out 7 bucks, or you might find a wine that you really enjoy. It goes really good with Italian bread and cheddar cheese. Makes a great lunch when friends stop by.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »
We used to drink a sparkling Lambrusco wine when we lived in Coloradical twenty one years ago.  Can't find it up here.  It was as you describe, not to sweet and had a very pleasant aftertaste.  There are, as you know I am sure, many Lambrusco grape wines around and each is pretty good.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 08:42:52 PM »
I know what you mean by not being able to find it anymore. The wife really liked Tyrolia but it's not produced anymore. It was a lower priced wine, kind of like the Lambrusco. But being inexpensive doesn't make it a bad or poor wine. My criteria for wine was how it tasted and if I liked it. I've known people that acted like any wine that didn't cost 30 bucks a bottle or more was not worth their time to taste. Who are they trying to impress. I've tried some of the wines they ranted and raved about and my private thoughts called their parentage into question. Phew!

Back in the early 70's, we drank Inglenook White Zinfandel 1971. Drank it by the case. Then the rest of the world found it, and the price went out of reach. There were only so many bottles of the '71 vintage and as the supply dwindled the cost went up. I think the last bottle we had was for an anniversary in the early 90's and, if I remember right, the price was 10 times or more  than what we had paid for it as newlyweds. When we could no longer afford it, all we could do was congratulate ourselves on our taste in wine and feel smug that we had more than our fair share before it was "Discovered".

That might be where I learned to drink what I like and not based on cost like some people do. If they won't taste my wine because it's to cheap for them, it's their loss. (meanwhile, I'm thinkin' "Dumb Adze")

As for the Lambrusco, I'm partial to the Gionelli brand. I've tried others but always come back to Gionelli. But, everyone's taste  is unique. Some like it room temperature, some like it chilled. It's all what works for you. Wine seems to be funny that way.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
Can't say I'm drinking any more than usual which is far less than I used to.  I pretty much stick to what I always drink----Canadian Hunter and Sprite----basically just a slightly different version of a 7&7.  Once in a great while I like a really cold beer and that would be a Red Stripe.  Have never been fond of wine, but I like the cheap, sweet stuff if I do drink it.  Never could develop a taste for the dry stuff that's like biting into a green persimmon.  I also don't drink gin as I find it akin to chewing on pine needles.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
I'm not a Scotch drinker but, this one could change me. Too bad (or maybe not) I can't find it anywhere.
Sharper is better