Author Topic: Listening to Radio  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Listening to Radio
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:41:41 PM »
Out here in the rural areas, radio stations are scarce. And the choice of music is limited. You listen to the same genre until your eyes cross. After a few years your just sick of it.

When that happens, I have unlimited data on my cell phone and I stream in a station out of Golden Meadow, Louisiana. KLEB 1600 AM. They play mostly local music made by local musicians. They use many different instruments and the sound is anything but mainstream. It is a welcome change from the same sounds we hear on radio and TV day in and day out. And they throw in a little old time rock and roll from time to time. It is AM radio and some mornings are talk programs but the Afternoons and early evenings are a nice change.

Streaming audio in from around the country can be fun. You can listen in to radio stations in places you used to live. Sometimes it reminds you why you left!

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
Re: Listening to Radio
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:06:32 AM »
My wife has the radio permanently tuned to a " new country" station.  I call it pop country but it seems a shame to even include the word "country" in it.  But I guess they didn't like Bocephus at first either.  I tune to old rock on the radio.  At home I tell google or alexa zztop or the like.  If i want variety,  I have a 6 string, a resonator slide, a banjo, a case full of harmonicas, and a piano... just as long as nobody's around.  Lol.  The banjo and harmonicas run everything that has legs or wings away.
huh?

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
I am not musical.  One of those can't carry a tune in a bucket sort of folks.  I am so bad I don't even sing in the shower.

Radio stations where we live are limited to three AM stations and two of them play a little bit of country.  The other is a conservative talk fest most of the day so I listen to that one a lot.

When the skip is on at night I can get some far away stations and one night was listening to a station in Nova Scotia.  That was a long while back now that I think about it.

We can stream a lot of music on our computer and on on the satellite TV. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mad-max

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:51 AM »
Kelly uses the technology a lot more than I do.  We get a great old rock station out of TN up in the mountains.  She found how we can get it down in FL.  I guess that one would be by far my favorite station.
huh?

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 12:31:19 PM »
Streaming Audio on the internet or cell phone has opened up a variety of music.

KLEB radio out of Golden Meadow LA as I mentioned.

Most of Stephanie Trick. Her Stride piano and Boogie-woogie is great.

ZAZ has a 1940's voice, A little rough around the edges like Janice Joplin, but nice to listen to. I don't speak French, but I misunderstood most of the words to songs anyway. "There's a Bad Moon Rising"  could easily have been "There's a bathroom on the right".

Lindsey Zoarski doesn't have much out there, but when she sings you can almost smell the Whiskey and cigars from a 1920's speakeasy.

I have a few instruments too. Including an almost new trombone I picked up last year for $25.00. I play none of them well and I should give the Trombone to somebody that can use it, before I stampede the neighbors cows. The wife threatens to stampede over the horizon too. Except for the electric keyboard. That, I can play with headphones on,

One of the most fun instruments was a boat. I built a Puddle Duck Racer and before the floatation chambers were installed it was just a frame with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood bent over it. It made the neatest big bass drum. Different sounds depending on where you struck it. Big resonant sound. It was fun to pound out a rhythm in the evening when the air was heavy and still.
That's one of those times you appreciate living in the country. Had I lived in town, the neighbors may have gathered a lynch mob.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »

Makes you think you should grab a chair where you can keep an eye on the door as you squint through the haze of cigar smoke and the smell of high end perfume.

Haley Reinhart, Morgan James and Ariana Sevalas (Telly Savalas' daughter) I think we'll be seeing more of Haley Reinhart.

Her accomplishments are admirable on so many levels.

whether you like the music or not, you can't deny her talent. Another millennial that is a joy to watch. Her Boogie-woogie performances are on par with the best in the world.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:25:09 AM »
I'm a big fan of MPR (Minnesota Public Radio).  Back when I lived within range of a repeater I listened on the radio but I stream it.  The station is all classical but they also have a choral stream and a news stream.  I used to tune in for the Prairie Home Companion (now called Live From Here with Chris Thile, who used to be in Nickel Creek).

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
NPR has a lot of good programming. Some is slanted, but it is certainly food for thought. The first person stories and interviews are powerful and deserve a listen.

All things Considered - TED radio hour - Moth radio hour - Thomas Jefferson hour

I still miss 'The Vinyl Caf?" with Stuart McLean, even though he's been gone for three years. He was taken to soon.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
I have been listening to Postmodern Jukebox on the net for awhile. Haley Reinhart has been my favorite singer since the first time I heard her.  The first time I was aware of her music was back in about 2012 or so.  Quite a voice. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:45:07 AM »
I spend time with streaming audio. YouTube has everything for free.  I keep a list of songs I like, ranging from Classical to current.  I listen to a lot of French, Spanish and Brazilian jazz.