Author Topic: What's your favorite non-typical sandwich?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
What's your favorite non-typical sandwich?
« on: June 15, 2020, 07:45:24 AM »
When I was very young, I didn't care for Liverwurst. My Mother made it the way her Mother did, to get her to eat it.
Mash it up with some mayonnaise, add chopped (home made) dill pickle. I like it on dark rye. It goes good with a dark beer.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:41:53 AM by Plumber »
Sharper is better

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
Re: What's your favorite non-typical sandwich?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 06:35:03 PM »
Liverwurst is not part of our everyday diet, but it finds its way home two or three times a year. Buttered white bread with a layer of mayonnaise (salad dressing) and a nice thick layer of liverwurst. The sandwich served with a bowl of tomato soup is welcome on those cold blustery fall days or the wet damp days in the spring. Good stuff and for me it's almost a treat.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
I like BLTs with mayo and Louisiana Hot Sauce.

But,

Some of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten were two slices of bologna and a slice of cheese between two pieces of white bread (no mayo or mustard) under a mesquite tree, in South Texas at noon with a thermos of lukewarm black coffee.  #1 wife would put two of those and an apple (when we got them) in my aluminum lunch box which kept them somewhat above ambient temperature in the truck all morning.  I will tell you that NOTHING tasted as good as those sandwiches right then.

I've never been much of a "Dagwood" type sandwich maker or eater.  I do like pimiento cheese though...

Alan

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 05:28:41 AM »
  Same as Alan, I'm pretty typical where it comes to sandwiches, about as complex as I get in a sandwich is probably an Italian grinder (Sub), that's a sub roll with several kinds of Italian sliced cold cuts, provolone cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce, onions, and tomatoes with a dash of vinegar & oil dressing.
  One of my go to sandwiches is sliced imported ham, LOL American cheese, lettuce, and my home made Bread & Butter pickles on plain white bread with a bit of Mayo,  (if you want to turn my stomach and gain a enemy for life,  just substitute miracle whip for mayo, I hate miracle whip).
  But if I'm in the mood for a "comfort food" sandwich it's usually Boloney & cheese on white bread with butter, and sometimes when I'm feeling extravagant maybe some processed yellow mustard, that with a side of Lays Wavy potato chips and a half sour pickle has a way of making everything right with the world, at least for a little while. 
  Most non typical sandwich I've eaten was when I was a kid, I used to really enjoy Cheerios cereal sandwiched between two slices of white bread smeared thick with Skippy peanut butter, I loved peanut butter as a kid, still do, but today and for years I prefer Jiff brand,  I'll tell you what,  there's something about the taste of peanut butter mixed with the tender crunch of Cheerios that is quite satisfying.     
  And Please,  don't think you are going to satisfy or impress me with a two inch or better thick sandwich or burger, I really hate splitting the edges of my mouth trying to insert a bite of sandwich that's made intentionally too big to fit in there, and having to dismantle a sandwich in order to eat it isn't cool IMHO. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:38:19 AM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:15:07 AM »
My dad ate a lot of braunschweiger when I was a kid so of course I did too.  Mayo on light rye was what he usually ate.  Sometimes on crackers, usually Ritz.  I guess I liked it but haven't eaten much of it over the last fifty years.

I like a lot of different sandwiches from bologna on white bread with mustard or mayo to Grilled cheese and ham.  My wife makes great BLTs lightly toasted wheat bread.  I eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »
I haven't had any bread for a couple of years because I'm trying to avoid carbs.  The 'keto' lifestyle has pretty much cut out ALL sandwiches for me, but I do miss an old-fashioned white bread sandwich that Mom used to pack in my Roy Rogers lunchbox (I still have it & the thermos bottle it came with) when I was in grade school. 

RECIPE:  2 slices of buttered Wonder Bread, 2 slices of bologna with 2 slices of VELVEETA Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food :lol: in the center of the sandwich. :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 03:25:09 PM »
A lot of you like BLTs, and so do I. I like toasted english muffin bread, with home grown tomatoes. I'll have to wait a while for those. Liverwurst on Ritz crackers is always good. I also like the pimento cheese spread from Aldi's on a Ritz, and top it with a little bit of green olive.
Sharper is better

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
#1 wife makes my pimento cheese. Grates the cheese, adds pimentos and whatever else she puts in it.  I eat it, say "Ummmmm Ummm!", and "Thank you"...  She keeps it coming.

BLTs are another story.  For some odd reason, she doesn't think I need to eat bacon..... weird huh?

Our tomatoes have been making for about two weeks now, and you know, there's nothing really wrong with a tomato sandwich.  Honey Wheat bread, mayo, a few slabs of Early Girl, topped with a dash of "Slap Ya Mama" and I'm good.

Alan

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 07:15:40 AM »
I haven't had any bread for a couple of years because I'm trying to avoid carbs.  The 'keto' lifestyle has pretty much cut out ALL sandwiches for me, but I do miss an old-fashioned white bread sandwich that Mom used to pack in my Roy Rogers lunchbox (I still have it & the thermos bottle it came with) when I was in grade school. 

RECIPE:  2 slices of buttered Wonder Bread, 2 slices of bologna with 2 slices of VELVEETA Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food :lol: in the center of the sandwich. :drool:

Hey Bud,  I've never been on a low carb diet,  I have a few friends who have tried several Atkin's, Paleo, and keto diets with varying results,  I've thought about trying one briefly but when I'm reminded that I'd have to give up most bread products that I've lived my life enjoying the idea leaves me PDQ.
  Anyhow,  two of my friends are on Keto diets and they both eat Keto Compliant bread (again, remember I don't know a damned thing about Keto diets that qualify me to give advice about it),  I guess there are several brands on the market and a local Aldi's grocery carries Keto friendly bread, one of them bakes his own from a book of baking recipes titled the Ketogenic Bread cookbook,  it might be worth your looking into. 
  I guess you and that imitation cheese product stuff go back a long ways.  (LOL)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 07:56:35 AM »
 There's been some interesting sandwich suggestions made in this thread,  and most include deli lunch meats that I really like,  but no one has mentioned a few old standbys that make a damned satisfying sandwich in a pinch,  some that I haven't used in a long time until this Pandemic lockdown came along and people started panic buying just about everything that stores had to offer,  even processed foods that nobody is supposed to like.
 Visit any outdoor forum and you're bound to find a thread on the love / hate relationships that some folks have with canned processed foods like Spam, canned hams, sardines, kippers,  corned beef, deviled ham, and such,  I really can't remember noticing any shoppers going through the check out with Hormel's Chili (with or without  beans), I'll bet a lot of cans of that stuff were dusted off several times before they finely made their way into someone's shopping cart, another canned product that used to be very popular in my area of New England was B&M brand Brown Bread, but most folks under 40 yrs old today don't even know what it is,  all that stuff disappeared from the super market shelves overnight.
 Most deli's in area markets were closed, all you could get was pre sliced stuff, all basic and not much variety,  luckily for me and like many other older New Englanders we keep a pretty well stocked pantry of foods we like for emergencies,  we occasionally tap it when needed and restock keeping a pretty good rotation going.
 So lately since the deli's aren't open and many packaged sandwich stuff (also foods like hotdogs, bacon, and Oscar Myer products are in short supply, I've been using Spam in place of bacon, and using it in sandwiches, along with other processed canned meat products,  while some would argue that that stuff isn't any good for you,  It still beats dirt sandwiches, and tastes a whole lot better also. 

Offline madmaxine

• Mill File+
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »
I'd probably not consider it great fare now, but when I was little Mom had problems and sometimes I had to scrounge up dinner for us 3 kids.  Dad's "go to" was pbj for himself.  We loved Honeycomb Cheerios,  but sometimes that wasn't available.  Breakfast, I could cook.  But sandwiches were dependent on inspriration and availability.  There was usually bread and canned goods like spaghettios.  So I discovered that I loved heated spaghettios on toast.  I've never heard of anyone else making spaghettio sandwiches.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Tony I think spaghetti o's on toast wins the non-typical sandwich award. 

One sandwich I like is  just spreading Nutella on hot toast and eating it while still warm. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »
I married my sandwich maker and like whatever she makes me..

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
I love sardines, but not on sandwiches.  They, with saltine crackers, are my traditional goto food for fishing trips.  The juice makes great chum and after eating a tin of sardines and half a pack of saltines, I'm pretty much good for the day.

Alan

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 08:19:57 PM »
^^ TRUENESS :drool:

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 06:21:03 PM »

I don't know if the Costco in your area has it but the one where I live has Zero Carb Keto Bread by Franz.  It's basically like your store brand white bread, not astonishing compared to the best breads but manna from heaven if you haven't had a sandwich in months!  It makes fantastic toast or grilled cheese as well. It really does have zero net carbs and doesn't seem to kick me out of ketosis.

I just had some yesterday with liverwurst! :D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
Thanks, Phaedrus for the bread recommendation, but we have no Costco close to us. :shrug:     We have Sam's Club in Sioux City, but the closest Costco is 90 miles away in Sioux Falls.  I did put the brand in my notes, though.....maybe I can find it somewhere else? :-\

Offline madmaxine

• Mill File+
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 05:55:13 PM »
Hey Phaedrus.  I'm on my 2nd round of keto.  1st one got me in the 200 lbs range.  I'm shooting for the 180's this time.  Anyway,  I've been meaning to try that bread.  And I  will now.  I was disappointed on the one recipe I tried and gave up.  Hope springs eternal.  Thanks for the recommendation to try it.

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
I married my sandwich maker and like whatever she makes me..

Good (safe) answer!
Sharper is better