Author Topic: Happy Fourth of July  (Read 232 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Happy Fourth of July
« on: July 03, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Happy 4th to all of you.  I hope you are all weathering the storm this country is going through and that we get to celebrate this day for a long time to come.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
Re: Happy Fourth of July
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
A little rainy here today which will hopefully keep idiots from burning the countryside down with fireworks tomorrow! :D  I hope it's a good one for you all!

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:38:42 PM »
      "Hotter'n the Fourth of July" seems apt this year. Highs in the 90's and triple digits, for a large swath of the country, gives credence for that old saying.

With hot weather, often comes some nasty thunderstorms. We missed a hum dinger night before last. 40 miles to the SE of us, they got a good 7 inches overnight. Kids will have great fun swimming and splashing in every low spot around the farm. Racing the 4 wheeler ATV's through the mud, or skijoring behind the ATV's in the ditches and flooded hay fields. I think it's going to be a great Fourth for some of the more adventurous.

For those that haven't tried skijoring, it's similar to the waterports without the lake and without the boat.  You only need a couple inches of water, 30 feet or so of rope and just about anything flat to tow, will work. Skis, wakeboards, toboggans,  2' by 6' plywood sheet with a rope handle, car hoods work great, just watch for sharp edges. Just give yourself plenty of rope so you don't lose teeth on the back of the 4 wheeler when it stops. My apologies to those that don't live on the farm. They don't know what they're missing!

Many years ago, the small town newspapers would have a gossip column. Written by someone within each township, it was a record of who did what, who visited who, or who had guests over for coffee or dinner. It was the 1950's, 60's version of todays facebook, snapchat gossip. A favorite line after each report was "And a good time was had by all!" It's a great saying and a bit of a neighborhood inside joke amongst the older generation. (Boomers)

This year, with all the hot temperatures and excess water in some areas, I hope it will be a favorite saying once again, come Monday.

Best Fourth of July to all of you.

Offline madmaxine

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 05:46:04 PM »
Happy Fourth from the southern Appalachians.  The parade, fun run, and vendor fair in Bryson City were cancelled.  But the fireworks will go on.  The best seats in the house are on the hill in Ingles grocery parking.   Small town USA!  Kelly's putting up flags down on the gate.  Got my Navy hat to wear tomorrow to declare my pride as a vet.  I love the Fourth, my flag, and my country.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »
 :birthday: to the U.S. of A., my second favorite holiday after Christmas! :banana:    Our neighbors across the street invited us and some of the other 'oldsters' in the 'hood over for a wonderful fireworks display last night.....VERY impressive for a neighborhood display!   We had a request to bring our golf ball mortar over for appropriate salutes, but I had no grass clippings for wadding, so another neighbor got his mower out and mowed up a 5 gallon bucket of them, so the show could go on. :cheers:   I was a little short on powder, so another neighbor donated a full bottle of Triple Seven blackpowder substitute to the communal effort. :thumbsup:    We fired the first salute with a charge of 550 grains (one Kodak 35mm film canister full), the second with three canisters and the last one with four canisters....2200 grains or almost 1/3 of a pound of powder!  It shook the ground & was a crowd pleaser, for sure! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hayshaker

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
have fun and keep safe all.
happy independence day

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
Craig how far up will that mortar shoot a golf ball?  What about at 35 degrees? 

550 grains would be a ground pounder for sure.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 01:44:14 PM »
I'm not really sure, Stan.....quite a ways. 8)    I recall shooting a full sleeve of 3 promotional golf balls at once over the Missouri River in November just after I put the cannon together.....the next Spring, a friend of mine who had witnessed the event found two of them while hunting mushrooms.  Measurement of the distance, via topographical map, revealed that they had been airborne for nearly a half mile! :shocked:   With one missing 'flyer,' the other 2 were around 75 yards from one another.... not a very good group. :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 09:49:04 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

75 feet at a half mile from a smooth bore is an okay group.
(Mark Twain)