Author Topic: $0.00 knife.  (Read 70 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
$0.00 knife.
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:29:30 PM »
One day a while back, due to a flash of inspiration, I got it in my mind that I could make a knife out of a circular saw blade.  I've got a 10" Dewalt radial arm saw and since I never throw anything away, I had lots of old worn out blades.  Under the tutelage of Mr. Crashblades I set to work.  I cut the blade out with a 4' grinder and rough it out with same.  I got it to almost with the belt sander and Heat treated and tempered (at least that's what was supposed to happen.  I don't know if it did but the knife holds an edge) it with my cutting torch and burnt oil.  the finish sanding with the belt sander and then some emory cloth gave it just the finish i wanted (which was that it didn't look like crap). The handle was from a piece of mesquite firewood, repurposed into a passable knife handle.

Over the years I have accumulated a good amount of boot leather (since I never throw anything away).  Inside out redwing boot uppers make a pretty good suede sheathe.  I slipped a folded piece of plastic from a plastic milk jug into it to keep the blade from cutting the binding.

The end result was a knife and sheath from stuff that should have been thrown away (but, I never throw anything away).

I also made this Ulu at the same time.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: $0.00 knife.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:14 PM »
Alan that sure came out great.  I like the angle of the handle to the blade and the both the handle and blade shape are pleasing to me.

The sheath is very good.  I would likely go with a welt but the plastic bottle will work for a time.  I have made storage sheaths out of milk bottles but they are just to protect the blade while in a drawer of storage.

Nice Ulu too.  I have a couple of them and they work really well but my wife doesn't use them so they only get use when I am cutting the meat to grill of something like that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: $0.00 knife.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 04:34:22 AM »
Those came out great.