Author Topic: First homemade knife attempt (well, first success anyway)  (Read 756 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
First homemade knife attempt (well, first success anyway)
« on: July 05, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »
In the mid 70s I worked for Brown and Root.  There were busy times and there were slack times.  During one of the slack times I took a broken file and ground out a knife looking blade heated it to cherry red (or at least red) and quenched it in oil.  Then I welded a piece of 1/4 bar stock onto it.  I also found a small piece of stainless stock and wallowed out a hole for the tang and welded it in place for a hilt...... that was also the day that I learned that you can't weld stainless to carbon steel with an arc welder.  Never-the-less, after a while I got it filled, ground and filed.  A chunk of mesquite fashioned into scales held in place by copper windmill rod pins gave me a good handle.

At the time I really had only one other skinning knife and it wouldn't hold an edge (or take and edge).  I had had a farrowing operation (about20 sows) and the bottom dropped out of the swine market.  I started to butcher the the sows and sell the quarters (front $1/lb and back $1.25/lb).  I also had about 150 barrows and young sows in the 100# class.  This knife did all the work of skinning  and trimming.  The handle is completely impregnated with lard.  I had a fire going with a cast iron pot to render trimmings.  They provided cracklins and chicharones and enough lard for my grandmother and great-grandmother to keep good things coming out of their kitchen.  I think my Ggmother liked the whole thing because it took her back to a time when hog killin and butchering was commonplace.  I also got into sausage making at the same time for obvious reasons, lots of pork.  She jsut wanted salt and black pepper in her sausage. 

I never made a sheath for this knife, besides, it was too busy.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: First homemade knife attempt (well, first success anyway)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
Nice piece of wood for a handle.  Good useful knives don't care what they look like.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 04:36:27 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 05:15:13 AM »
awesome!!!!!!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »
I can see why that knife gets a lot of use....great design beats 'sparkle' any day of the week! :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
Well, it hasn't gotten any use in a long time now.  It sits on my bookshelf and gets dusted every six months or so whether it needs it or not.  My hog butchering days are over (Thank God), but those old knives and other things are good reminders of the days when dollars were a bit harder to come by.  I guess that sort of life is what makes me the way I am (not being able to throw anything away because i might need it some day).

#1 wife caught me in the shop one time.  She says, "Hey, I threw that coffee maker away.  It doesn't work".  I told here I was getting the screws and the cord off of it.  She said, "You have boxes of one ended cords and buckets of screws (I was throwing the screws in the screw bucket).  I said, "But, I might need the....".  "RIGHT", she says and walks off, "you might need them someday".  I muttered under my breath, "That's right...."  So I put the bucket of screws next to the bucket of bent nails that I'll straighten someday....

Alan