Author Topic: Second hunting/fishing knife  (Read 491 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
Second hunting/fishing knife
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:09:26 PM »
My dad and I did a lot of fishing (I still do) when I was growing up (some would say I'm still doing that too).  When I was 10 or so we caught a mess of crappie (we called them Sac-a-lait in South LA).  In our small town newspaper all you had to do was send in a picture and they'd print it and the story.  So there I was, my 15 min of fame used up when I was 10.  One of my dad's friends (business associates) saw it and brought me a Buck knife to clean all those fish. 

That knife got used.  It didn't clean many fish as it wasn't particularly suited to that task, but it got used for a lot of other cleaning assignments from rabbits and squirrels to deer and hogs.  As long as I kept a whetstone in my other hand I could get through the job.  I could never get it to take an edge or hold what little edge it would take.  The blade was about twice as wide when new.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Second hunting/fishing knife
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »
I grew up with one of those folding fisherman's knives.  The long sharp bland and another that had a hook remover at the end and a series of notches to scale fish (which we never did).  We fished almost exclusively for trout in Colorado where I grew up.  I still have one but it isn't my old white handled one that I lost somewhere along the way.

When I was older I got one of those filet knives made in Finland that every fishing store carried and over the years had a couple of them.  I traded them all with a bunch of other stuff for a Puma sheath knife which I still have.  I now use a Hanwei folding mini filet knife and it works well for gutting fish.  No pictures cause it is kind of late and I am tired from a long day of shooting targets with a seven year old kid whose dad brought him out today.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:41:01 AM »
Oh Boy! Seven year olds.  It's amazing how much energy can be packed into such a small package. 

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
No . Alan
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »
My oldest Granddaughter (13) and oldest grandson (eight) will be with us tomorrow while their mom goes grocery shopping.  I'm resting up this afternoon and going to bed early tonight so I can keep up with them tomorrow!

But, as tired as I get I wouldn't trade those days for a million $s.  At the end of it all, All the things and money are going to be left behind and only the things that are in your soul are what you'll take with you on that next journey...

Alan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
My dad and I did a lot of fishing (I still do) when I was growing up (some would say I'm still doing that too).  When I was 10 or so we caught a mess of crappie (we called them Sac-a-lait in South LA).  In our small town newspaper all you had to do was send in a picture and they'd print it and the story.  So there I was, my 15 min of fame used up when I was 10.  One of my dad's friends (business associates) saw it and brought me a Buck knife to clean all those fish. 

That knife got used.  It didn't clean many fish as it wasn't particularly suited to that task, but it got used for a lot of other cleaning assignments from rabbits and squirrels to deer and hogs.  As long as I kept a whetstone in my other hand I could get through the job.  I could never get it to take an edge or hold what little edge it would take.  The blade was about twice as wide when new.

Alan

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 07:19:32 AM »
Alan, that's a well used old knife. What model, and year is it?
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline Grumpy

• Mill File+
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »

Looks like a vintage Buck Mod. 121 Fillet knife,  well used.   :shrug:

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 09:45:44 AM »
Thanks Grumpy.
I'm headed to my favorite $1 taco place for lunch, in a little bit.
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 03:08:17 PM »

Looks like a 105 Pathfinder to me, but it's hard to tell for sure.  Maybe Alan will stop back by and let us know.
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
I look for the Model # next time I've got it out.  From memory I think it's  a 105.  The year?  Well, I got it in 1965, so thereabouts.

Vintage? Yep, I vintaged the heck out of it.

Alan

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
This Buck knife is from 1967, and has no number.
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »
Buck didn't start putting model #'s on knives until 1972.

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
If I remember, so many years ago, it's a model #118.
Sharper is better
Terry

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Mine has no number on the blade, Just "BUCK".

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 01:08:11 PM »
It is the 118 model before they started stamping them.
(Mark Twain)