Author Topic: Hot, and Hotter, and HOTTER!  (Read 786 times)

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
Hot, and Hotter, and HOTTER!
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:09:59 PM »
Well, it went right on past Hot, D@mn Hot, to Incredibly we're all going to die HOT today.  I don't know what the temperature actually was.  The news said 102 but I don't think they went outside to check.  Forecast for 103 tomorrow.  I'll be working inside tomorrow. 

Alan

Offline madmaxine

• Mill File+
Re: Hot, and Hotter, and HOTTER!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 06:40:28 PM »
High 50's last night in the Smokies.  I think it got 83 in the sun today.  Won't last.  Hotter later in the week.  Nice cold rivers and lakes here though.🐟

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 06:48:22 PM »
Our "low" hovers around 80 these nights....

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 10:09:36 PM »
We get to the high 90's during the day and down to the mid 60's at night.  Got too hot to work outside for more than a half hour at mid-day.  I am irrigating so you're hot and muddy at the same time.  I feel sad for the black Angus cows on days like today.

Death Valley was 124 yesterday, parts of Arizona hit 119.   :P
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »
Here in North FL, it?s 95? and 62% humidity.  Step outside and it just sucks the life out of you.  Literally feels like stepping i to an oven.

Offline windy

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
About 50 when I got up this morning, 77 now at noon with a light breeze outta the north.  Mountain still showing plenty of snow.  Reservoirs are full and clear, humidity about 50 or less.  The Great Northwet lived up to her rep this spring, but we're back to perfection, finally, in mid-July.  Sorry about y'all's summer.
windy

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
We get to the high 90's during the day and down to the mid 60's at night.  Got too hot to work outside for more than a half hour at mid-day.  I am irrigating so you're hot and muddy at the same time.  I feel sad for the black Angus cows on days like today.

Death Valley was 124 yesterday, parts of Arizona hit 119.   :P

The fellow who owns the pasture behind the house here runs Brangus cows.  The heat doesn't seem to bother them as much.  I guess it's the Brahma blood.  Black Angus are probably another story.  I don't have much experience with them.  We used to put Angus bulls on first year heifers to throw a small calf, reducing calving problems.  I think they were busy enough not to notice the heat much. 

Alan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Here in North FL, it?s 95? and 62% humidity.  Step outside and it just sucks the life out of you.  Literally feels like stepping i to an oven.

That is sure a bad feeling.  Your body sweats trying to cool you down, there's so much humidity that the sweat won't evaporate, so your body responds by sweating more...

At times I wondered how I had all that water in me in the first place. You can't get enough to drink and then the craving for salt starts.  I've known guys who got severe cramps from drinking too much water without any salt or electrolytes. 

Sometimes I'll wake up on these summer nights with cramps in both legs.  I'll get up and walk and walk and walk and drink a couple of bottles of water.  It takes about 15 min for them to stop after I get the muscles rehydrated.

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
We save all our dill pickle juice and when I get cramps a couple of ounces of that gets rid of the cramps quickly.  I don't usually drink it until the cramps force me out of bed but I might start after a hard day in the field.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »
I might give that a try.  I don't really like dill pickles, but I don't like cramps more.

Alan