Author Topic: Fishing, and other knives  (Read 409 times)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
Fishing, and other knives
« on: July 20, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
 These are some of my fishing knives, and a draw knife I found at a garage sale. Has anyone seen a draw knife like this? I can't quite make out the name, at the top, or where it was made.

Riverside draw knife
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:38:58 AM by Plumber »
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
Re: Fishing, and other knives
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 09:02:34 AM »
My good fillet knife is in the fish house, at my brother's place for the summer. It's an Original Leech Lake Fillet Knife.

Sharper is better
Terry

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
I'm posting my Leatherman as a fishing knife, because it has a diamond file, with a fish hook groove. It is always with me, when I'm fishing.

Sharper is better
Terry

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »
Great stuff.

My original filet knives were the same as the two on the left side. 

I have a couple of draw knives like yours.  Most of them I see around these parts are just like them.

The NorMark is a good knife.  I have their hunting model and it is a very good production knife.  Sarge's knives are better but my NorMark is carried around in my ATV tool box in case I need to gut something.

The Leatherman Super Tool was a good all around tool.  Mine didn't have the fishhook groove but it had a file like yours as far as shape.  Still have it but I use the Skeletool most of the time these days.

Could not find a drawknife made by Farwell xxxxxxx with Riverside stamped on it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Grumpy

• Mill File+
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
 In my opinion you can't find a much better fillet knife for the money than those made by Martinelli/ Rapala,  I've had a few over the years that have cleaned a boat load of fish, I've also cleaned a lot of trout and bass with my old Mora classics (don't tell anyone I said that),  I also have a vintage Shrade fillet knife that's been great and for bigger fish I have a old Buck eight inch bladed fillet knife that holds a laser edge. 
 More than a few trout have been readied for the frying pan with my vintage Western Cutlery bone handled Bird & Trout knife,  when I think of the memories those great but inexpensive knives hold for me it's enough to bring water to my eyes. 
 Thanks for this thread.   :thumbsup:

PS, you had me wondering if you were using that drawknife for scaling fish.   ;D

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 11:02:20 AM »
Grumpy, I put the draw knife in there because I didn't know where to post it, and I was using it to shape an axe haft.
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
The reason I like the Leech Lake Knife the best is, because fish scales dull the blade. This knife has a 1 1/2" sharp portion on the back of the blade. You stick the blade into the fish, and cut the skin from the inside out. It doesn't dull the blade as badly and saves the main blade from the scales altogether.
Sharper is better
Terry

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 06:20:00 PM »
These are the best fillet knives I've ever put my hand on.  They are surgically sharp and stay that way.  The second from the left is mine.  The others are my son's and the pointy one at the bottom was a gift for a friend.  The B&T or Neck Knife is my every day companion.  It doesn't look shiny like that any more.  It works.

The handles are all Texas Mountain Laurel.  Mescal Bean.

I like the blunt point because 1: I don't stick myself. 2: I have more control in tight spaces. and 3: I don't stick myself.  Years ago I had (still have) an Uncle Henry fillet knife.  One day I broke the tip off of it on a catfish.  I kept going and by the time we were finished cleaning fish I told my son that if I ever got another one of those UH knives, the first thing I was going to do was break the tip off. 

Many of you will immediately recognize the signature profile and craftsmanship of these knives.   

If not, zoom in on the pic and you might be able to see the etching on the blade.

Alan

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Oops. I just realized this was supposed to be production knives...

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 01:06:39 PM »
Criminy, there is enough there to qualify for production knives.  No problemo.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Plumber

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 07:41:53 PM »
These are the best fillet knives I've ever put my hand on.  They are surgically sharp and stay that way.  The second from the left is mine.  The others are my son's and the pointy one at the bottom was a gift for a friend.  The B&T or Neck Knife is my every day companion.  It doesn't look shiny like that any more.  It works.

The handles are all Texas Mountain Laurel.  Mescal Bean.

I like the blunt point because 1: I don't stick myself. 2: I have more control in tight spaces. and 3: I don't stick myself.  Years ago I had (still have) an Uncle Henry fillet knife.  One day I broke the tip off of it on a catfish.  I kept going and by the time we were finished cleaning fish I told my son that if I ever got another one of those UH knives, the first thing I was going to do was break the tip off. 

Many of you will immediately recognize the signature profile and craftsmanship of these knives.   

If not, zoom in on the pic and you might be able to see the etching on the blade.

Alan

Alan, those are some real beauties.
Sharper is better
Terry

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:13:59 AM »
Thanks.  They are nice to look at and nice to work with. 

Alan

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
Crash did a great job on that bunch. 
(Mark Twain)