Author Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide for Blood Trailing  (Read 207 times)

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
Hydrogen Peroxide for Blood Trailing
« on: August 12, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this.   So, let's give it a try.

I received this today in my "TBM Tip of The Week". I've heard about this in the past. Haven't given it a try. Maybe, I'll give it a try this fall.

TBM Tip of the Week
View this newsletter online

Hydrogen Peroxide for Blood Trailing

by Jason Samkowiak

Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) is a very powerful tool for blood trailing. Any little spec of blood, no matter how old or dried, will turn white and frothy as soon as the peroxide hits it. This tool can help you find blood when it isn't visible to the naked eye, such as after a rain, mud, thin grass, crop fields or dry pine needles.

Hydrogen peroxide should be kept in a colored bottle so it doesn't break down; the easiest and safest thing to do is to attach a spray nozzle to the actual peroxide bottle. However, I keep mine in a clear bottle, but it's clearly marked, wrapped in a towel and kept under my truck seat until I need it.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide for Blood Trailing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:09:49 AM »
My mother used hydrogen peroxide on all me and my brothers cuts when we were kids.  It does foam like crazy on fresh, wet, blood.  Might try it if I lose a deer some time. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Hey! wsdstan,

I was wondering what would happen to the peroxide if I add a couple of drops of food coloring to it. Would the peroxide foam up brighter? Gonna have to give it a try.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
In addition to its antiseptic qualities, we used to use it on football jerseys during games so that the blood wouldn't attract the attention of the refs and get a player out of action just because he was bleeding...

The blood could be stopped but the stain remained.  A spray bottle of H2O2 would keep them in the game.

I never noticed any frothing on the blood stains. 

I may get some out of the med cabinet and spread it around.  I cut or scrap myself daily (sometimes multiple times) and there's always some blood laying around.

Alan

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
 Something to consider,  Peroxide is not recommended for wound treatment after the initial cleansing of the wound,  peroxide kills off all bacteria including the good bacteria that helps to create scabbing that keeps wounds sealed and dry, peroxide also inhibits new skin growth,  but it is advised to use it in the event that an infection should develop and white puss stars to form.
 Also Peroxide works wonders to wash away blood stains on materials such as clothing , bedding, and furniture,  and while it might work well as a blood finder,  I'm wondering if it would erase what ever blood it finds after a short while making it almost impossible to go back on the trail to help establish direction of travel if the trail is lost while searching it out,  I've had occasion to loose a blood trail on wet fall leaves and had to go back on the trail to where the blood stains were heavier and start over.   :shrug:   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
The hardest part of trailing is keeping everyone else from stomping around on the trail...

Alan

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
Gonna have to make where you find some blood with flagging after you put peroxide on it.   Tat way you can come back late and see if it disapears.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline duxdawg

• Whetstone +
  • paleo/primitive/aboriginal, Fur Trade, Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »
Been using peroxide for tracking since the 1990s. Works well.
We use toilet paper for flagging.