Author Topic: Weber Q grill regulator modification  (Read 204 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Weber Q grill regulator modification
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:58:17 PM »
Well, I've had enough!

My Weber Q has been anemic in the heat delivery department for a long time.  I've cleaned the burner tube with a wire brush, made sure the venturi screens are clean and nothing seems to get me a good enough flame to reach 500 degrees and allow the grease on the grill grates to turn to carbon so it can be scraped off easily.

Anyhow, I was looking around online and I saw that a guy performed a modification that replaces the regulator with a brass fitting that allows you to connect a generic propane regulator/hose assembly, at the expense of losing the ability to use the little green disposable tanks.

I thought I might be able to do better, and this parts list is what I came up with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4GTKUP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQM8IU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823JQL2W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After the parts arrived, I cobbled together the following contraption, which replaces the Weber regulator and retains the ability to use the green canisters, while also using my existing Weber adapter hose to use full size propane tanks.  This works great now! Using the adjustable regulator, I can turn up the propane high enough to where it will blow itself out.  So it does require a lot of care to make sure not to burn anything down, but it also fixes the problem of the weak performance from the OEM Weber fixed output regulator.  The last piece of the puzzle I will fix when I get a little more spare time is to make sure the orifice is clean.  But I already see a huge improvement in preheat times and it got up to 400 degrees in about 5 minutes.  This does not make use of the Weber bracket so the entire weight of any canisters are supported by a 1/8" NPT fitting so I will need to be very careful not to bang the bottles around until I can rig up a way to use the Weber support bracket.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Weber Q grill regulator modification
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
For a long time I had two grills.  One charcoal and one propane.  A couple of portable grills too.  After a few years I threw the propane grills in the dump and went with charcoal.  I could not get decent temperature out of mine either but didn't think about modifying it.  Nice job on that.

My neighbor is a bronze artist and he uses propane and an old vacuum cleaner set to blow to produce temperatures in the 1800 plus range.  Of couse that is in a home built furnace but I think with a small blower one could sure make a bbq work well at temps up to 500 F (and maybe burn it up if you were careless).
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:19:04 AM »
Thata a great idea, thanks for sharing!
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »
Looking forward to progress reviews of

I have had some issues with my Weber Q grill in the heat department also, my problem was with using the adapter hose and a 20 lb tank. The grill would be hard to light or the burner tube seemed to never have enough gas.

Switch back to the 1lb bottles and it seems to work fine.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir