Author Topic: Finally back to playing with sharp things  (Read 136 times)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Finally back to playing with sharp things
« on: September 08, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »
I look in on the ol' forum every few days but haven't posted much lately. Just finished up several projects around the house. It all started with hiring my neighbor to paint the exterior. Then that made the screened-in side porch and back porch look terrible so I demolished and hauled off the old...rebuilt both. While "we" were working, "we" decided to go ahead and replace flooring to two rooms - that meant unloading and moving 2 safes. Oh, "we" should go ahead and paint... In the middle of these projects, I was on 12-hr shifts at work during the peak of riot season. Anyway ... back on a somewhat regular work schedule, getting the house squared away, and getting back in the shop.

So while ordering lumber, I ordered a little extra and built two regulation size axe throwing targets. I built a small one first so now it is a practice target. The bases have wheels on one side so the targets are sorta portable but really heavy. I found Cold Steel throwing axes online for about $20 each and bought a few. Been throwing a couple evenings a week for the last month or so. Lots of fun! My daughters love it and were getting sticks after just a few throws. My older daughter said throwing dad's hatchets feels like something she should get in trouble for doing. HAHAHA!

Here's the obligatory bullseye shot.

I've only finished a few knives all year long but I've been in the shop the last couple evenings.

Got an overnighter planned for the Smokies this weekend.

Well, that's about it - about 4 months in a nutshell.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: Finally back to playing with sharp things
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
Great targets.  I use a couple of forged hawks,  and can hit a target now and then,   😬

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
I throw hatchets like I shoot a sling shot.  The safest place to stand is the target board.  :(
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »
Those are pretty fancy targets.....I have never had the opportunity to throw 'hawks at anything that nice.  Every muzzleloader club in our area utilizes an 18'' or 24'' log-slice mounted on a tripod or easel so you are sticking the 'hawk into the end-grain of the target butt.  Don't use elm or oak....'hawks will bounce off and everybody loses. :doh:    Standard 'bullseye' in our area is a playing card stapled to the target.....1 point for sticking the 'hawk, 2 points for severing a corner and 3 points for cutting the card completely in two.  Kids typically walk away with the biggest prizes because they get the most practice. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:50:03 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'll see how they last. Have to keep a stack of 2x10's handy to replace the target boards and 2x10's ain't too handy to keep around. It's fun right now, though. Looking forward to a little milder temps. Since I finished them, about an hour before dark is all I can stand to be outside.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)