Author Topic: Bear found scavenging on human remains in GSMNP  (Read 63 times)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Bear found scavenging on human remains in GSMNP
« on: September 14, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »
https://www.wbir.com/article/entertainment/places/great-smoky-mountains-national-park/bear-found-scavenging-on-human-remains-at-gsmnp-backcountry-campsite/51-faf5ac06-0651-4e8d-b5d3-ea7bd1b42173

This happened near a back country campsite on the North Carolina side of the National park. Hazel Creek runs into Fontana Lake. Ol? Horace had a camp on Hazel Creek.

Two friends and I spent Friday night in backcountry campsite #20 near Elkmont. We didn?t know anything about the bear incident until we made it back into cell service range on Saturday afternoon.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Bear found scavenging on human remains in GSMNP
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
It would be interesting to know if he died of natural causes or the bear got him.  I am assuming it was a black bear in that location so he might have been dead when the bear came by.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Re: Bear found scavenging on human remains in GSMNP
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:38:04 PM »
Yep a black bear. Park Service doesn?t yet know or hasn?t yet released if the bear killed him or if he otherwise died and the bear took advantage. I?d guess the latter is more likely but black bears do occasionally kill humans.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)