Author Topic: Where has all the interest gone ?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
Re: Where has all the interest gone ?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2020, 02:55:34 AM »
Moe, since you asked, here my 2 cents :-)

I check only occasionally, as I'm still working, have a wife, kid, dog and go outside a lot. Not much internet or tv for me. It's nice, but only occasionally.
And most topics are not relevant to me, due to being not in the US. I mean topics like guns, traps, politics, and conspiracy stuff :-)
Still I read them, but no interaction from my side as it would not be adding any value.

Usually I do not mix in rants or online arguments, but when something is really wrong, I do reply, like some time ago with you Moe, where you where simply wrong and negative, so we had a online squabble.
I agree with Pete on they way you react sometimes, that this will cause people not to be interested anymore.
I would advise you to relax a bit more, don't take everything so personal, and leave out those comments you just made again about political sides etc.
It adds absolutely nothing to any bushcraft conversation.
Moe, this is not a personal attack, just my observation on the situation here, I still appreciate you as a fellow forum member.

Wolfy, you are my man, I appreciate your posts the most here, I read every single one of them.
From the first day I joined this forum and saw a post and at the bottom was a "wolfy approved" comment, I was hooked :-)
Your positive attitude and view on things are topnotch. Don't back down!
And still hoping to see a handle on that hatchet I sent you ;-)

Overall other reasons for less action on this and other forums is mostly due to facebook I would say.
It's the same thing on the Dutch bushcraft forum and some others.
The younger generation all have it on their phones and they check daily facebook to which they seem to be addicted too, and it is so easy to check in those facebook bushcraft groups, instead of opening a new browser, go to a url, log in, and scroll through the posts.
I think it is a reality which we have to accept, that not much new blood will be on this forum, and for us all to still make this place work, we all should act a bit nicer in our comments and posts.

My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 05:53:29 AM »
Now how wouldn't I know wolfy would bring up some obscure paper by Franklin on flatulence.  He must be a kracaneuner.  And yes,  by golly he is.

LOL,  well you Kracks can't be too fussy,  from reading the latest posts by Wolfy he's turning into a drunk biker.   :shocked:

I know you were just kidding, but I am adamant about not mixing riding & alcohol consumption....not even ONE drink when I'm riding.  Studies have proven that even even a single drink or beer can slow reflexes! :crazy:

Well OK,  if it hurt your feelings I'm sorry and I sincerely apologize for that,  but never about using Velveeta Imitation Cheese product instead of the real stuff.    :P    :cheers:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »
The day we indoctrinated wolfy into the tribe he was stone cold sober and a gentleman.  I dont doubt that he changed who he was for us

He did eat carbs tho.

Tattletale!  I have to admit to having a couple of 'healthy' glasses of good Scotch through Crash's  generosity. :cheers:      Fortunately, there are no carbs in whisky. :banana:

On the other hand, a brat without at least 1/2 of a weenie bun just ain't a brat. :shrug:    Where I really fell down on the carb intake-limit was when Greg started baking cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  They were gorgeous, smelled heavenly and tasted as good as they looked and smelled! :drool:   I  can't be perfect ALL the time, can I? :shrug:

''Watch & pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.''
-Mathew 26:41

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:39:03 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
I am so weak that I never got started.   :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 04:45:33 PM »
brats are so yesterday, kielbasa is where it's at ....lol

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 06:24:58 PM »
Glad you mentioned Kielbasa.  We used to eat it a lot when I was a kid and, like a lot of kids, I didn't pay attention to what brand it was or where my mom bought it.

The kielbasa available around where we live is okay but not like that we had in the old days.

Brats, on the other hand, are better than ever.   ;)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 06:41:19 PM »
The kielbasa I get is made locally by a multi-generational butcher shop and their name ends with ski. They make great brats too.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2020, 07:26:06 AM »

I love both,  I was raised on all kinds of wonderful ethnic foods,  there were four Polish bakeries within a 10 minute drive from home, but if we wanted real Kielbasa we'd have to travel 15 miles one way or 35 miles the other to a Polish Deli that offered the real deal,  but lucky me, for the last seven or so years a Polish family moved in locally and started a kind of deli, bakery, and general store that sells authentic polish foods,  and they make a lot of what they sell in their own kitchen, including Kielbasa of several types, my favorite is their Double Smoked Hunter Kielbasa, it's to die for, and because it's really double smoked you can take it on hikes, picnics, or leave it out on the food table at cook outs without worrying about refrigeration.
 Every once in a while I get to remembering riding with my Dad when he spent nights driving a tank truck transporting fuel oil from the terminal about 30 miles away in Providence RI to his oil business in our town,  we had to go through the city to get to the waterfront terminals and every night he's stop at this one Polish Deli and pick up a link of Kielbasa and a loaf of fresh baked Polish Rye bread,  Dad always kept a bottle of Frenches yellow mustard in the cab of the truck for these occasions,  when those memories flood back I head to the Polish Deli just a few minutes from my home and pick up a link of Double Smoked and a fresh Rye bread.
 Now as to which is best, Kielbasa or Brats,  that's a non issue, they ain't the same at all,  the first time I tried Brats was not a success,  after retiring from the PD I went back into construction operating heavy equipment and driving a Tri Axle dump truck, on most of the big jobs we worked on there'd always be food truck that would show up from one vender or another for breakfast or lunch, for lunch I'd always have a sub made from a spicy sausage covered with caramelized peppers and onions in a thin sauce that was flavored with smoked paprika,  I never did learn what type or brand of sausages they used, but they had a strong hint of spicy Italian sausage.
 Then someone told me they were brats, so I got me some brats and gently boiled them while I sweated some bell peppers and onion in butter laced with a little paprika,  well sir, those brats were a total disappointment,  the boiling process leached out most of the flavor and fat and left me with a bland tasting wrinkled up turdy looking thing.
 Right then and there I decided to find out what I needed to know about brats,  what I learned was basically this, you can steam hotdogs, but never ever cook Brats or Italian sausage in water or beer or any other liquid,  once cooked you can serve them in gentle warmed sauce or beer,  but yes I love Brats and Italian sweet or hot sausage,  matter of fact I just purchased a special electric grill for cooking all of Johnsonville sausage products to perfection, and it works great on other brands and types of sausages as well, it was a little pricy at just over a hundred bucks,  but it does an excellent job at cooking the brats and breakfast sausages just right.         
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2020, 10:08:02 AM »
The one and only good thing about keto is PIGMEAT!!!

Offline windy

• Mill File
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Personal attacks got too ugly, too strident, and too one-sided.  I just checked back yesterday to see if that's changed; no sign it has.
windy

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2020, 01:54:09 PM »
windy,  this is just a short deviance from usual goings on here.  Believe me,  we've had fights and poor conduct here between the regulars.  We got over it.  That's why we're still here.  Sometimes a pm to the offending party can clear things up to a peaceful truce until everything cools down.
 So don't give up on us. :)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
I still love all you folks even when we sometimes disagree.  And I still check in every day, even though there's not a ton of traffic.