Author Topic: mensgrills campfire pressure cooker  (Read 847 times)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
mensgrills campfire pressure cooker
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
The other day I ordered a campfire pressure cooker from mensgrills. If I understand correctly these are made on Afghanistan and are popular there.
There is a big wing nut and yoke that holds the lid on. There are a couple relief valves for safety. It's made from thick aluminum.

This weekend if I get time, I'm going to stuff a cornish game hen along with some veggies into this pot and see how it does.   

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: mensgrills campfire pressure cooker
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
Post pics if you would. 

Pressure cooked New England boiled dinner (with corned beef) and vegetable beef soup are two of my favorites made with a PC.

My mother made those two often and I always got a kick out of it.  She was scared of the pressure so she would stand in the den and reach around the corned of the wall to the stove and hold a fork on the pressure valve to let the steam out.  I think she read about one blowing up when she was younger and the person was scalded badly.  Funny how things like that never leave your memory banks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:45:39 PM »
I recall having to re-paint the kitchen ceiling out at the farm after a 'safety' :shrug: plug blew out of Mom's pressure cooker.  It was a spectacular spray of beef stew, but no one was killed or injured. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 06:32:52 AM »

I also remember my Mom and Grandmother cooking and canning with their big old cast aluminum pressure cookers back in the '40's, '50's, and '60's,  before I was ten yrs. old they would shoo me out of the house in warm weather or make me stay out of the kitchen in the cold months if the weather was bad when they were using the dreaded pressure cooker.
  If I close my eyes and listen real hard I can still hear the hiss of the steam escaping and the rattle of the pressure relief valve on the lid of the pot,  after I got to be ten yrs. old or so I knew enough without being told that when the pressure cooker was on the stove I didn't want to be in the kitchen,  since then I still view the old timey pressures in about the same way that I'd view a ticking time bomb sitting on the stove in my kitchen.
  I don't use one to can foods or sterilize jars, so far I've gotten by with boiling in a canning pot,  I'm a sucker for those appliances they sell on TV,  I have stainless steel pots and pans from Emeril and Wolfgang Puck,  and honestly they are better than most other commercial brands,  I also have a Wolfgang Puck Bistro three quart Rice cooker that I'd protect with my life,  it does everything you'd want with rice, and anything a slow cooker can do the WP rice cooker can do better and more.
 So when Wolfgang offered an electric pressure cooker I had to have one,  the thing was beautiful,  but, you needed be a computer geek to program it,  and then the worse part was cleaning it, it had special rings in the lid plus a neoprene seal that had to be removed for cleaning and you had to be sure to put it back together in the right order and it turned out to be a real PITA, at least for me,  I just as soon use the slower oven or braising on the stove,  it might take longer,  but I'm much more comfortable with it.
 As for the new pressure cooker I gave it to one of my daughters in law,  she said she was happy to take it,  but I haven't heard her reviews about it, and that was a couple of years ago,  however we did give them a rice cooker and she did say how much they like it.   >:D
 Anyhow,  Good luck with the pressure cooker,  if you know how to use them they can turn out some wonderful meals,
Besides remembering the fear that those contraptions struck into the minds and hearts of those that came before me, I also remember the great foods that they made. 

Like Stan mentioned, please post some pictures or a link describing them.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:33:02 PM »
Pressure cooker sounds like a really bad idea in my hands...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 12:40:31 PM »
Haha, mine too Tony.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »
did I mention that part of my trade is working with boilers (under pressure) LOL

Anyhoo I used the pressure cooker the other day.

I put this on a woodstove sitting on my porch. Boiling water to clean it.

then I broiled some onions in oil as recommended to season it.

cooked up a pot of chicken and veggies

spouting off a bit. I moved it away and let it simmer down.Then let it just slowly steam away.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 08:45:39 AM »
Looks kind of like a early design for a hand grenade.  A big one. 

My mother had me so scared of commercial pressure cookers that I have never escaped my fear of them blowing up.   

I was thinking about making a Brazier.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:50:49 AM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)