Author Topic: First Knife  (Read 305 times)

Offline Estacado

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
First Knife
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:36:47 AM »
https://postimg.cc/PPMDxxwR

My first knife from the forge. Kephart inspired as is the sheath. Mosaic pin as I ran out of thong tube material. A 4" blade with walnut scales. Ground out on a 1x42 belt sander which has since died. Have done some 60 fixed bade knives and sheaths over the last 4 years in addition to some 15 folders.

Offline Estacado

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
Re: First Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
The knife was cut and profiled from 1095 steel, and then bevel ground before heat treating. Used a one burner Mini-Hell's Forge to get to quench temp. Canola Oil used in the quench. Temper was two cycles at 400 degrees for an hour each. Minor de-scale and on to finish bevel grind and polish finish with 600 grit belt. Three stage forced patina staring with Vinegar soaked for an hour followed by two separate Mustard cycles. Loveless bolts and the walnut scales finished it off. Learned more from this and three other blanks than the sixty previous blades. My sister now has the other Kephart and my two drop point hunters await my new grinder to finish. Going to pull the trigger on a Origin Blade maker from Oregon today. I built 20 knives on YouTube before I attempted this. Many mistakes made, but I fixed them because of things I've done over the last four years. Enjoyed the Kephart builds on you site, which is what inspired me in the first place. Have four more blanks with 4/ 4 1/2/and 5 inch blades awaiting my new grinder for profiling and subsequent heat treat.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:16:03 AM »
Well done Estacado.  Thanks for going through the steps you took to get the look of that blade.  Very interesting finish.

Welcome to the forum.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
 :welcome: to B&B, Estacado! :cheers:   Wise move in picking the Kephart design as a do-almost-everything-you-need outdoor tool.....my choice, as well! ;)

Are you from Texas? :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:17:22 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Well done.  Nice knife.

Offline Estacado

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Yep Wolfy from South Texas, just south of San Antonio. You inspired me on the Kephart design. Pleasing to the eye and can skin a Deer and get Peanut Butter out of the Jar. I made a Condor Kephart and my Bud is using it on the Ranch he manages. He's been using a Jantz blade I made for him the last three years, fourth Season. He liked the Old Hickory Kephart I gave him, but wanted a little longer blade. The condor has the patina like this one so I get to see how it holds up.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »
Good to see another Texas boy here on the forum.  I've made a knife or two but they don't look like yours, but they're getting better little by little.

Alan

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
Nice work, Estacado! Welcome to B&B.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Estacado

• Mousepad and Sandpaper
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:47:53 AM »
Update on my knife. It's been out at "The Ranch" being field test by Sam. He's now dressed and skinned three Deer and two Hogs. He split the breastbone on a 200# Hog yesterday. He claims it's still sharp which bodes well for my Heat Treatment and blade hardness. My new Oregon Blade maker is a wonder as I have four blades ready for Heat treatment. Same size as one shown. They are spoken for, as folks at the Ranch wanted them. I have 8 other blanks ready for bevel grinding. My learning curve is going straight up which is curious given my 75 years of Seniority. Got back to my Longbow and and am almost ready to tag a deer with it. Had 15 years of target panic to fix. I am shooting pie plate size groups at 25 yards with my Howard Hill Longbow. I am a Hobbyist and have now idea where this is taking me. The knife making from scratch is more than satisfying compared with using blanks bought on line. Thank you fellows for getting me motivated to take this plunge. Oh it slices a Tomato and gets Peanut Butter out of the jar. Sam has been entertaining hunters at the ranch for 20 years, and has high praise for "The Knife."