Author Topic: Thanksgiving Day  (Read 387 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Thanksgiving Day
« on: November 26, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
 It's raining right now (better than snow) but it's supposed to stop by noon,  be partly cloudy and about 60*F., all and all not a bad day,  while We the People have a lot to be depressed about after about a year of pandemic shutdowns and shortages, civil unrest, and a highly questionable election process,  with the possible outlook for 2021 not looking much better.

On the other hand there's good things happening as well,  lots of acts of kindness going on,  the American people are showing their typical generous nature by donating in great numbers to different charities,  food banks, and organizations that are delivering food boxes and meals to those who aren't doing all that well in this holiday season.

I'd like to take this time to wish all of our members a safe and Happy Thanks Giving day,  much of our family will be gathering to give thanks for the blessings that we've been given during these dark days,  and I hope all of you can do the same.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline boomer

• Mill File+
Re: Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 07:18:32 AM »
Cold here in the Southern Rockies but clear and calm. Had some heavy rain a few nights ago and the mountains have some snow but we're still in an "Exceptional Drought" situation. Overall it's a good day and soon there'll be a cast iron pot of stew cooking on the wood stove which always helps things go well. The family is spread out across the nation and while we almost always gather for Thanksgiving this year will be one we miss. We'll gather electronically instead. Not the same but safer.

There is still much to be thankful for today even if a growing number of our fellow citizens are experiencing harder(er) times. Neighbors here are helping each other when asked and doing what we can. Here we all know folks who appreciate the offer and realize any of us could be in the same fix at some point. The local small grocery has a large "pantry" installed by some young kids back in March and remains well stocked every day. Folks take what they need and give what we can. This week it's overflowing.

The Republic and democracy have been preserved, at least for now, as the bumbling coup falters and fails (re coup - it's a definition thing). Unfortunately however, for some our nation remains markedly divided.  Our highly contested election saw greater turn out in general and was reliably evaluated as fair and open with minimal yet predictable problems. We should be thankful for that as well and proud too, regardless of the outcome or preferences.

The problems we still face cannot be dismissed yet there is also much to be appreciated. As we come together, in person or otherwise, as families maybe it's worth considering the health of our national family as well.  Weathering rough times can bring folks together rather than driving us apart. It's an opprtunity we can be thankful to have.

Wishing all families large and small the best life has to offer today and every day.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:37:22 AM »
     I learned years ago in order to battle my demons to run through my blessings twice a day.  It helps to go to sleep and to start the day right.

We're going down to the river house.  We made pork balls, squash casserole, green beans, and deviled eggs.  Kelly's over at her mom's helping with her contribution.  BIL is frying 2 turkeys.  Some of the family got their first firearms and instruction recently so I'm betting on some show and tell.  They make me proud getting top notch instruction as opposed to a "McDonald's" course to get a CCW.

High in the 70's.  SUPs and Sit on Tops.  Snorkeling.  Maybe bust out the scuba gear just to keep practiced.

My family is not functional.  Maybe that's why I love Kelly's so much.  And having them accept me as part of them is my greatest thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tony

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »
We are grateful for our blessings and I am grateful for my friends.  Heck I am even grateful for this forum and it's members.

We are staying home today and fixing Thanksgiving dinner for two.  Been a long year and with a bit over a month to go I hope it dies a peaceful death and that 2021 ends with us all smiling.  I have doubts about that but hope is a good thing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 06:35:28 PM »
I hope it's a good one for you all!  I'll be alone this time but it's not a big deal.  I got whacked by Bell's Palsy affecting the right half of my head, neck and face.  It's getting better but since my right eye doesn't blink much it gets really dry.  Too dry for contact lenses, and I really hate to try to drive at night with my glasses (the scrip is a bit out of date, don't want to get an eye exam til the BP clears).  But I'm chilling at home, making a ribeye with some creamed spinach & brussel sprouts sauteed in bacon fat & butter. :banana:  I was going to do the holiday at my buddy's place but with the pandemic flaring up again it's probably better not to go (his folks are older and his dad has Parkinson's).

I'm actually feeling pretty thankful!  I have a job which is more than a lot of folks can say in this economy.  The Bell's Palsy sucks but I'm really glad it wasn't a stroke or brain tumor! :hail:  There are at least three CoV-2 vaccines that will be out within a couple months.  2021 should be a lot brighter, and I'm grateful for that.  We just need to dig in and ride things out a little bit longer.

Hopefully you're all well!  Despite the crap 2020 has thrown at us, if you have a home and someone to share Thanksgiving with you're doing pretty well, I reckon! :thumbsup:

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 08:13:39 PM »
I hate I missed this yesterday. I have nothing to add regarding the 2020 sheetshow. Each of you have offered some inspiration despite trials and tribulations and I appreciate that. The silver lining for me is all the overtime I want ... sometimes more than I want but at least I have a job. Hope you all stay healthy.

Hey Phaedrus, FWIW my wife had Bell?s a few years ago and she fully recovered with no permanent effects. Hang in there!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 01:31:54 AM »
Thanks, Sarge!  It's starting to get a bit better, just annoying.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 06:44:03 AM »
thanks giving here was me and the cat . made supper but never made a plate, i did feed my two pet turkies some of my supper.
and drove to town to give a couple who is shut in, a plate each, that was thanksgiving for me

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 08:49:39 AM »
And a fine gesture on your part Mike.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)