Author Topic: On the mountain  (Read 202 times)

Offline boomer

• Mill File+
On the mountain
« on: December 22, 2020, 06:33:13 AM »
Went up on the mountain to cut some wood by hand just for a Solstice Fire yesterday. Quiet, sunny and pretty warm for this time of year in the 40's, the dog loved it. So did I.  Could have stayed longer than I did with no complaint. It was a welcome respite from today's madness and constant chattering. Even though I'm comparatively removed from all the nonsense there are still times when I recognize how much intrudes. Have to look at those choices again.

The wood was put to good use and clearly it's time for some more winter camping. The cabin work will have to wait a bit. Sanoty, what's left of it, has to come first. Almost dawn and the coffe is good. Not a bad day. Feel the mountain callng already.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
Re: On the mountain
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:23 AM »
don't have a mountain to climb here, but the weather is finally cooler, and the coffee is always good

Offline boomer

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Waiting for the sun to hit a bit more before heading out. Things will warm up quickly once the desert sun climbs the peaks. Despite knowing better I read a bit of the news on the interweb with the first cup of coffee. It seems  like trying to focus on a distant object through a cracked and dirty lens. So many factions, agendas, untruths in the political sphere and so much sensationalized"if it bleeds it leads" otherwise. Not much new in the news it seems. Except for the tiny tot style tantrums and cynical posing from some well known players on the national stage the pandemic holds the stage and vaccines offer hope there.

There is a great deal of division among folks. The bigger picture is rarely considered. Maybe that's the way we do generally, by design or otherwise. Perhaps a few observations by folks more knowledgable than I are in order? Just campfire talk nothing more.

* The empire creates the ruler. A lesson from history playing out in our own time. The current president would not have been possible had not others before him taken the steps they did. The arguments pro and con aren't the point. The road we've traveled has led us to where we are. None should escape scrutiny.

* Progress can be an illusion. True we cannot go back in tme but that we will go forward is neve guaranteed. There have been movements in history that seemed at first encounter "right actions" but the outcomes did not come anywhere near matching up to expectations. Best to be careful what we wish.

* Unrelentng concentrations of great wealth by individuals acting alone or in concert as legal fictions are not unkown to history nor are the easily predictable effects on every society experiencing them. By the same light great poverty works the same since they go hand in hand.

* The only true wealth we have as a nation is our commonwealth.  Folks who love the outdoors as "Woods Loungers" do know and understand this basic concept.

* We are a part of the natural world. Our technological gifts may be unique and our place in the universe uncertain but there is simply no escaping this simple fact."Woods Loungers" likely appreciate this as well.

* Age doesn't imply wisdom. It can but . . .  I'll put myself out as an example of that shortcoming. I've been wrong more times than right over the years and the ratio is not likely to change. But we can learn and change our way of looking at things. Some lessons have been inconvenenly bitter, some pleasingly sweet yet all added some flavor to the stew.

The list can go on and each will have their own take on it. As they should. That's just the way a few things seem to me this morning but now the sun is up, the thermos is full and the mountains are calling as they always do. Working on a hot tarp set up for a couple hours seems a good use of time this mornng.

Best to each and all enoying what life has to offer.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:01:56 AM by boomer »

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:12:49 AM »
Wise words, Boomer!  I think you hit it on the head.