Author Topic: Another Colclesser Project  (Read 416 times)

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
Another Colclesser Project
« on: January 28, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »
This first pic was posted on Facebook back in August. Someone tagged me and I was very interested. I have the issue of Knife World referenced - it is from 2005 I think. I made a few sketches, cut out a few blanks, had them heat treated, then shelved them. I finished very few knives last year, fished only a few times, and spent only a couple nights in the woods. But, hey, I had a job with plenty of overtime so I am not complaining. I pulled one out a couple weeks ago and was itching to finish it.  A couple of you guys saw this blade on Facebook. I am pleased with it and hope to finish more...

The finished one is has the handle from the top drawing and the blade like the middle drawing. The other blanks look like the middle drawing with the rounded pommel.

The Colclessmuk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Another Colclesser Project
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »
I like the way you think, Sarge....that's the assessment I made after viewing the pattern sketches AND before I scrolled down to see the finished knife.  I must be clairvoyant. :shrug:

I don't normally care that much for Nessmuk-pattern knives because most makers overemphasize that god-awful hump on the spine.....osteoporo sis, due to age of pattern perhaps? :shrug:    Anyway, this one catches my eye....in a GOOD way! :thumbsup:

NICE work on the entire package....as always. :hail:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:09:27 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »
Haha! Thanks, Wolfy! We are in the gentle Nessmuk club, preferring a more subtle humpback. Harder for me to decide between the more squared pommel vs. the rounded pommel like the Kephart knife. I will finish a round pommel next and see how it goes.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:19 PM »
Woops, I made a mistake. :-[   I thought the handle was like the handle on my Wolfhart, but in reviewing the photo I see the squared-off pommel.  The photo doesn't show up fully on my screen unless I swipe it a little to the right.  I'm voting for the next candidate with the Kephart handle and the blade pattern of the middle sketch. :thumbsup:

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 07:31:19 PM »
Yep. Imgur cut off part of the handle. The other blanks on hand have the rounded pommel. Stay tuned.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »
 :rofl: You KNOW I will!

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »
Like Wolfy I am not wild about some of the Nessmuks,  hump wise at least.  This one looks great and would be a great skinner too.  The drawing in the middle of the three is particularly interesting to me.

I would be remiss not to mention that the sheath is really nice too.  As usual Sarge you nailed it.
Will these be 01 tool steel too?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 04:41:25 AM »
Awesome work as always.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 07:37:57 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Stan, yes they are O1, 1/8? thick, Peters? heat treat.

The sheath I thought had a lot of real estate on the face and needed something to break it up. I have made a couple similar to this one. The inlay is from a bag of remnants. I am pretty sure it is textured cow hide; color worked well with the color of the scales.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
I am currently reading Everett Dick's SOD-HOUSE FRONTIER, but am always ready to pick up the next in the pile to read.  Having read Kephart's missives pretty extensively and G.W. Sears' stuff, somewhat less enthusiastically, I think I'm going to give WOODCRAFT & CAMPING another shot.  Of course, I read it long ago, but didn't care much for his rhetoric as much as I appreciated Kephart's common-man,nonchalant attitude.  I don't know why exactly, but Nessmuk always came across as being a bit of an elitist....same with Thoreau.  Sears' little canoe, the Sairy Gamp, was always much more intriguing to me than his knife design, but I am a fair man and will give him another chance. :-\.   Too much required reading of some of the older authors during my college days may may have contributed to my prejudices. :shrug:  I liked his little axe and his little canoe, but that ORIGINAL knife design of his always gave me the shivers.  It always seemed like more of a 'skinner' than an all-around general purpose camp knife like the one Horace designed. 

That is not to say that this 'adaptation' of the drawings and surviving Sears' designed Colclesser blades are not useful and practical, just not as versatile as was that of Kephart for a do-everything knife design. Sarge, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that both designs are fully convexed....making them both useful for kitchen and field-dressing duties. :shrug:

To paraphrase George Orwell; ''All knife-designs are equal, but some are more equal than others.'' :popcorn: :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:47:38 PM by wolfy »

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
Hey wolfy, I concur with your comparison of two writing styles. I also find Kephart more enjoyable. I'll often pick up Camping and Woodcraft just to re-read the Forward about spending winter evenings sorting over your gear ... fussing over your kit, how to save weight and bulk without sacrificing utility. I think I read a blog or saw a YouTube video about that.  :lol:

I also have always viewed Nessmuk's knife (not nessmuk knives in general) as a dedicated skinner. Kephart, of course, tasked his knife with a variety of chores.

Yes sir, the new blade has the dual convex grind like the Kephart and Wolfhart. The thickest cross section is about 1/3 down from the spine and 2/3 up from the cutting edge. Grinding the new profile was maybe a bit more challenging than the Kephart blade  but not too bad. I think the new one weighed in right at 7 oz. versus most of my Kepharts between 6 - 6.5 oz. The new one balanced right behind the little knob just as the Kepharts.