Author Topic: Got a 3D printer back in December.  (Read 527 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Got a 3D printer back in December.
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:08:09 AM »
I have been working on a few different projects.  Nothing really "bushy" just yet.  It's amazing all the things you can make with these.

My wife's great-aunt makes Native American style flutes and made a practice one for my 10 year old daughter out of PVC pipe.  The saddle on hers cracked, so I measured it and using a free online app called "Tinkercad" I made a replacement saddle on the printer. 

Later, I designed a whole kit that uses a wine cork, 3/4" PVC pipe, and 3 printed parts to make a whole flute.  I have been practicing and can even play short simple melodies on it now.  I made another just like it and my daughter is light years ahead of me.

Tonight, I was thinking about the zip tie snow chains you can buy, and I remembered thinking they were a bit expensive for what you get, and so I designed these little cleats that slip onto a regular heavy duty zip tie.  The heavy duty zip ties are a good deal cheaper than the purpose-made traction zip ties, and these little cleats use less than 5 grams of filament each and take around 37 minutes to print.  The only issue is some of the plastic filament types melt at a very low temp so they aren't good to leave in the car over the summer.  For winter use it should be no problem.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: Got a 3D printer back in December.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 04:30:35 AM »
Pretty cool stuff.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
Nice.  Looks like a ton of fun.  You'll get backed up in project ideas in no time.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:09:12 AM »
I love the flute. I think I'll print that. You should share the thingiverse link.
 The cleats are a great design. Is it PETG or PLA? PLA is too weak I think. The carbon fiber infused nylon would be great for those. But you need a steel nozzle to hold up to the wear.
Here is a link to my creations. yo yo real and firesteel SAK Scale.
https://cults3d.com/en/users/derbfab/creations
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »
Nice stuff PW and thanks for posting it here.  You and Xj communicate in a language I am not familiar with.   :-\  Lots of neat stuff there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »
I love the flute. I think I'll print that. You should share the thingiverse link.
 The cleats are a great design. Is it PETG or PLA? PLA is too weak I think. The carbon fiber infused nylon would be great for those. But you need a steel nozzle to hold up to the wear.
Here is a link to my creations. yo yo real and firesteel SAK Scale.
https://cults3d.com/en/users/derbfab/creations

Yeah I just ran PLA for these.   It's snowing now so I might strap some onto a tire and see how they hold up for a couple hundred yard drive.  I agree nylon would be better.  I have an all metal hot end, an enclosure and steel nozzles, but I haven't had a chance to figure out what firmware changes I would need in order to allow for the higher max temp nylon requires.  I really do want to get into nylon though.

PLA is supposed to be very "strong" but it's also brittle.  I think it can easily take the compression load, or to put it another way, running over it won't hurt it.  But it's a question of whether it can handle the shear forces of the tire turning against snow and ice. 

Here's the flute kit link.  If the instructions aren't clear, let me know and I'll try to do better.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4742897

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
Nice setup. I agree with everything ya said. I'm still on 0.04 brass tip. I want to get the bigger nozzels to print a little faster.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 11:23:48 PM »
Amazing.  Those things could be consuming and a body would run out of time to do other things.  I am glad you guys post about them and the things you make. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »
No need to babysit. I'll start a print and go shopping. Some folks run a 24-40 hour print or more. Only worry is if something goes wrong it'll waste a lot of filament, It's not smart enough to know it's printing in mid air when the object falls off the build plate.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
If that can happen I can almost guarantee it will happen to me.   :P

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
This almost seems like alchemy or 'magic' to me....I'm lucky I'm able to logon to the forum with my ancient iPad these days.  My phone won't let me do that....because it 'forgot' my password and so have I.....does anybody know how I can retrieve it? :P :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
I assume you have exhausted the internet solutions to a locked phone and password recovery.  It seems each type of phone is different.  What phone do you have?

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »
I assume you have exhausted the internet solutions to a locked phone and password recovery.  It seems each type of phone is different.  What phone do you have?

I have an an ancient iPhone 6.....the one that Alexander G. Bell perfected for Apple.  It needs an 'update' that I cannot perform because of lack of space....another thing that might be a part of the problem. :shrug:   Usually, and in all other similar check-ins that I do, the 'cloud' takes care of the password and I am automatically entered to the website.  I remember when Moe (GRUMPY) had a very similar or identical problem with his logon here at B&B.  In going to my personal page, I don't see any way of retrieving my old password....I see how many ******* it it contains, but no matter which or what past passwords I've always used, it will not grant me access! :pissed:

PS:  This is one of my typical, but entirely unintentional, thread derails....it needs to go to the HELP section, ASAP!    SORRY, boys! :-[   Where's Doctor Watson when you really need him? :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:30:24 PM by wolfy »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 10:13:43 PM »

I have an an ancient iPhone 6.....the one that Alexander G. Bell perfected for Apple.  It needs an 'update' that I cannot perform because of lack of space....another thing that might be a part of the problem. :shrug:   Usually, and in all other similar check-ins that I do, the 'cloud' takes care of the password and I am automatically entered to the website.  I remember when Moe (GRUMPY) had a very similar or identical problem with his logon here at B&B.  In going to my personal page, I don't see any way of retrieving my old password....I see how many ******* it it contains, but no matter which or what past passwords I've always used, it will not grant me access! :pissed:

PS:  This is one of my typical, but entirely unintentional, thread derails....it needs to go to the HELP section, ASAP!    SORRY, boys! :-[   Where's Doctor Watson when you really need him? :shrug:

If you go to your profile and click modify profile, then account settings, there is a secret question you entered when you set up your account.  I think the answer will reveal your password.

Optionally, you can reset the password.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:49:40 AM »
Yup....did all that, BUT the last entry that you need to make is the 'fly in the ointment'......STATE YOUR PRESENT PASSWORD FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.  Classic 'Catch-22' situation....I don't KNOW my present password!  :doh: :shrug:

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
Yup....did all that, BUT the last entry that you need to make is the 'fly in the ointment'......STATE YOUR PRESENT PASSWORD FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.  Classic 'Catch-22' situation....I don't KNOW my present password!  :doh: :shrug:

Well, if you want a new password I can reset it for you.  Send me a PM if so.