Author Topic: New Knife  (Read 331 times)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
New Knife
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:50:19 AM »
Nerw knife design. After completing some 30 Kephart's, from 3.5 to 5.0" blades,I tried another Classic design that appealed to my eye. The Mears Bushlore seemed to be a logical step and it came out OK, I think. I'm still learning the fundamentals of knife making. My Kephart's are out in the field doing their work. This group of three is out at the Ranch as I type this. Turkey Season is in full swing and the hunters will be out this weekend.  The blades are 4.24 and 3.5" with sheaths and Fire Rods. Handle contour is my first take on what I like, see what others think. Since I'm trying new thins, trashed a couple of blanks trying new bevel techniques and such. Next step is refining the overall metal and wood finish. I made a Sanding Block and Sanding Stick out of 3/8" Aluminum scrap.Had done them in wood and Micarta before, just wanted the metal model. https://postimg.cc/gallery/qMtVkpK

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: New Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
Blade shape is very good.  For some reason I think that the patina on these is too dark or too varigated.
If the patina was a little more even in contrast it would look better on this style of blade but that is just from looking at the photo.

The handles look fine but with the sculpting there is a lot of swell in areas and one would have to have one in their hand to see if they like it. 

That is nice work Estacado.  What steel are these blanks and what is the blade thickness and the Rockwell?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:16:22 AM »
Been experimenting with the Patina, this being two hours in hot Vinegar followed by the Mustard daub. The steel is 1/8" 1095 with file test at 60-65C. Not satisfied with handle contour and have to refine that. The Coke Bottle shape maybe worth trying as will less dip fore and aft of the palm swell. Looking at a polish the blade above the grind line and let it Patina as it will. Have a way to go beyond the Hobbyist level. I'm at that transition point I think. Just trying to master the two designs, Kephart and this for now. Doing 30+blades in a short time helps get to the next plateau. Still have a lot to learn. 

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Thanks for those details Estacado.  I like 1095 quite a lot.  There a few knives in my small collection that could benefit from better handles and the coke bottle style would work well on one of them I have. 

Keep us informed of how you progress with these models.  I think you are doing a really good job with them and hope you continue to develop these.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 12:13:36 PM »
I think you're doing a great job on your knife-design and perfecting your handle designs, but (there's always a 'but' ain't there ;D) I have never liked artificial patinas.   They always look too 'uniform' to me, but it seems to be the trend with almost everyone for the past several years.  Until I started looking at these 'bushy' forums and a few of the better known knife forums, forcing a patina was unknown to me.  I'd much rather see a carbon steel blade that has earned its 'stripes' (pun intended) through honest use like dicing onions, slicing pickles, cleaning fish & game, etc.  I am certainly not disparaging your efforts along this line, but if it were me I'd offer at least a few without the forced patina.....just to see how that boat would float. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX