Author Topic: mtech bowie updates  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
mtech bowie updates
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
well I did it.. bashed up the bowie real good. throwing at 8 full paces it only takes a couple misses to do some damage. no worries I just made a baton and bashed the hilt back in place, may have to replace to brass tubing in the pommel. I also chipped the blade a very tiny little bit on a very hard pitchy dead knot. I love this knife.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: mtech bowie updates
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
Looks like the blade is holding up just fine in spite of the handle taking some damage. If it gets any worse then you will have a good candidate for re-handling. ;)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
ya, I love this rubber handle though, not sure what I would make the replacement out of.
btw the hilt is only a friction fit as far as I can tell, machined very tight. I had to do a bit more work with a block and hammer when I got home to knock it back square.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:49:50 PM by Binalith »

Offline Remo007

• Water Stone
  • Lover of Navaja's & all things Sharp!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
I would do a Dark Hardwood, and Stipple the Scales for an almost Sandpaper like Grip!!! 8)
Not all who Wander are Lost. Member #3

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »
I think one of the knife maker supply places sells old conveyor belt rubber to be used for handle scales. Not sure which though.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
o cool, I'll have to do some research, wonder if there's some thick enough for a hidden tang.

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
did some sort of heavy work with the bowie this morning, chopping and carving in seasoned hardwood. I notice that the hilt is definitely starting to burn up the outside space between my thumb and fore finger. I think when and if I re-handle I'm going to round off the edges of the bottom of the hilt.
just in case I'm not making myself clear enough, and because I'm takin lots of pictures and doin stuff real fast because I drank too much coffee already!!!:

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
Seems to be holding up nice though. I have never had much faith in those rubber handles. If you rehandle it you may want to silver solder the guard.
Act or be Acted Upon!

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »
Seems to be holding up nice though. I have never had much faith in those rubber handles. If you rehandle it you may want to silver solder the guard.

yeah, hold fast guys :) in about a month i am going to rework mine.. i will do a tutorial on it and post it up. i will show you guys that this knife has safe queen beauty hidden under its roughneck appearance ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
I was thinking about keeping most of the rubber and trying to make a steel or brass hammer pommel attached with the lanyard hole. unfortunately my machining skills are non existent.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
I was thinking about keeping most of the rubber and trying to make a steel or brass hammer pommel attached with the lanyard hole. unfortunately my machining skills are non existent.

that would be tough because its a stick tang. check out PW's thread in his sub forum and look at his Artemis knife. you could attach a pommel in that fashion pretty easily with only a drill press and some brass ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
I just got mine.

I am pretty impressed with its size and thickness. I will be using this mainly as a throwing knife, camp beater. Not bad for the price!

Offline Thaddius Bickerton

• Mill File+
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
I wonder if the mtech is very much like the CTD hard use knives.

I have looked at them a few times after watching them beat to destruction in some youtube a while back.

If it is the same knife, that is one tough blade judging from the youtube. Perhaps even if different.

I notice you kinda put it through it's paces also.  :-)

Thad

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
I'm casing the sheath I threw together for this knife, it's in the referigerator until tomorrow morning. Re-reading this thread I got the idea of making it's next handle from the retread tire treads you see all over the highways.

Always wanted to make a pair of sandles out of tire treads too.