Author Topic: MLL Jungle Knife Reveiw  (Read 3588 times)

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
MLL Jungle Knife Reveiw
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
I received my new MLL Knives Jungle Knife last Thursday, just before my camping trip.  Having seen this model on his website, I knew I needed to have one.  Boy am I glad I bought this knife.  It's a serious workhorse.  The only thing I did to the knife before using it was to give it a quick rub on some 800 grit sandpaper and a quick stropping afterward.  The knife came plenty sharp to do most any task.  It just didn't quite shave hair.  I didn't spend more than two minutes to clean up the edge to my liking.  No big whoop there.  My only beef with this knife (if you can call it a beef) is that the spine has smooth edges, rather than a sharp 90 degree edge to strike ferro rods.  I'm not sure if I will fix that or not.  Again, no big whoop if I don't.  Mine didn't come with a sheath because Mario was having issues with his nylon models.  He is working on that issue for the new ones.  I'll make a sheath for it this weekend.  Maybe a cross-draw.

The specs:

Blade length:  6"
Blade height:  1-3/4" at the shortest, 2" at the tallest
Overall length: 12"
Blade thickness:  7/32", with a distal taper toward the tip
Steel:  D2, but apparently they will now be made from O1
Blade type:  High ground convex
Handle:  Black micarta, with blue liners, held by bolts

Side view:

Top view:

Blade taper:

The first task the knife was put to was splitting wood.  I picked-up some mixed firewood from a local seller.  It was all tough, hard wood.  There was eucalyptus, oak, and sycamore that I could identify.  There were a couple other pieces of random, unidentified pieces as well.  I split an 18" long piece of eucalyptus first off.  Talk about twisty wood.  I had to bash the knife through it from end to end.  I then moved on to a hunk of oak, possibly red oak.  This piece had a knot/stem that looked like a good candidate for a test subject.

I had to beat the bejeezus outta this knife to get it through the knot:

Here you can see the piece on the left, where the knot was cut through:

After the splitting, I made some shavings.  Shaved nice, thin curls without a problem.  This was a piece of unidentified wood.  It was tough to split with my hatchet.  Part of it became my baton, the rest was burned.  The baton held up to all the bashing without issue, so it was a pretty hard piece.

Today I gave it a little chopping test.  This wood is possibly some type of willow.  It's about as hard as alder, and chops about the same.  This is about a minute's worth of chopping on a 5" thick log.  The blade dug deep and flung chips all about.

I truly love this knife!  It handles well and it's tougher than Clint Eastwood. LOL  It stood-up to some serious beating and remained quite sharp throughout.  The edge ended-up only just shy of shaving sharp after all the testing.  It popped a few hairs, just not a clean swath.  A few minutes on the strop returned it to razor status.  If you like big blades, or just like to wreck wood, the Jungle Knife is one to seriously consider.

Thanks for looking!
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Half Axe

Re: MLL Jungle Knife Reveiw
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
Excellent review, GB! 

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
outstanding GB! i think MLL is going to have some serious fans on this board! i am already trying how to figure out how to pay for the larger scout to match my regular one :P

guess i need to make some knives, huh...
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline GrowlingBear

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »
Thanks fellas!  I'm with you on the larger Scout, Red.  Get grinding! LOL.
Is there such a thing as too many knives?

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the review, GB!  You always have a good opinion on knives and I am going to have to put a MLL on my list.

Thanks!
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 06:15:36 AM »
Great review GB. I don't know when but I will probably be picking one of these up before MLL Knives gets a backlog.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline MLL Knives

• Whetstone +
    • MLL Knives
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:56:46 AM »
thanks for the support GB,
Yes it is an excellent knife for hard work, because the blade has a selective heat treatment, it is very hard on the edge of the blade but soft on the back, so have elasticity and can hold the edge and cut very well, supports the impacts without breaking.
I had to change the steel from D2 to O1 because some people had difficulty in sharpening the D2 steel, with power tools is easy sharpening the D2 steel but in the field by hand, is more difficult, so I changed.

Thanks!
Mario Leao
You can learn about my work here: http://www.facebook.com/MLLKnives or www.mllknivespt.com

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
I have been investigating the "selective heat treatment" and it seams to be the way to go!

Tai Goo in Hoods Woods: Primitive Knife Making does this and he tests out an incredible blade that he made!
The knife edge was ultra sharp and he vut a 1/4 inch metal rod in half with the blade (see the video) and bends the crap out of the knife side ways (both sides) and it springs back to straight.  It was awesome to see!  Great video and a great way to heat treat a knife!

:banana:
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Barbarossa Bushman

• Water Stone
  • A sense of humor is a good thing
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:57:24 PM »
That is a 100% bad a$$ workhorse there.
"When times get rough and times get hard, the fat get skinny and the skinny die. Good thing you had a little fat on you when you did." An old friend

Offline trentu

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
WOW!
Act or be Acted Upon!