Author Topic: Forum Functions  (Read 3381 times)

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
Forum Functions
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
Hey guys-

I have four questions I hope someone can help me with.

1.  Is there a way to change my forum settings so that when I roll my mouse over a post topic some of the text shows?

2.  Even though I automatically subscribe to threads when I post, I'm often not notified of new responses.  Can I fix that?

3.  How can I load an avatar photo from my photobucket account?  It seems to only want to use downloaded pics from my computer.

4.  How can I multi-quote in my replies?

Thanks,

Bean

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
Re: Forum Functions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
1.  Is there a way to change my forum settings so that when I roll my mouse over a post topic some of the text shows?

I REALLY need to know the answer to this.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
I'll try to answer some of these.

The mouse-over text is a feature that can be added to vbulletin software. We are running SMF. If I can find a mod for our forum software that will allow that I'll add it. But, I did a thorough search when we first got up and running and couldn't find one

If you are looking for email notifications, there are settings in your profile. Otherwise subscribed threads show up with the orange "new" tags on them in index views. If you are accessing the forum from multiple computers / devices it can confuse the software as to what's been viewed already or not.

I'm not sure how to do a direct upload from photobucket. Given the semi-permanent nature of avatar images, it is probably best to just download them to your pc and then upload them from there to the forum. It's an extra step, but one that you probably won't need to do very often unless you change avatars frequently.

When you open a reply window, the more recent posts are listed below in order from more recent to oldest. You can scroll down and click the little icons on the posts and it will add the text to your window.

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »

If you are looking for email notifications, there are settings in your profile. Otherwise subscribed threads show up with the orange "new" tags on them in index views. If you are accessing the forum from multiple computers / devices it can confuse the software as to what's been viewed already or not.

Thanks PW.

Regarding the e-mail notifications:  I do have it set for that, but it seems that even on a thread where I have already gotten notifications, sometimes I get more, and sometimes not.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
Hey guys-

I have four questions I hope someone can help me with.

2.  Even though I automatically subscribe to threads when I post, I'm often not notified of new responses.  Can I fix that?

3.  How can I load an avatar photo from my photobucket account?  It seems to only want to use downloaded pics from my computer.

Thanks,

Bean
1.  Is there a way to change my forum settings so that when I roll my mouse over a post topic some of the text shows? I don't think so but if you figure it out please let me know.
I don't subcribe I hate in box clutter.
3.  How can I load an avatar photo from my photobucket account?  It seems to only want to use downloaded pics from my computer. Copy & paste  the direct link Code from Photobucket. Be sure to resize the pic before uploading.
Hit the quote button in the first post from the reply page scroll down to the next post and click the include quote bottom in each of the remaining posts.
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Online madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:54 PM »
I don't even understand the questions...much less the answers.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

Thanks PW.

Regarding the e-mail notifications:  I do have it set for that, but it seems that even on a thread where I have already gotten notifications, sometimes I get more, and sometimes not.

Hmm...

Does it do this whether or not you have visited the thread? I don't run email notifications so I am not familiar with the system. I will see about setting them up for my test dummy account and see what happens.

Offline beanbag

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »

1.  Is there a way to change my forum settings so that when I roll my mouse over a post topic some of the text shows? I don't think so but if you figure it out please let me know.
I don't subcribe I hate in box clutter.
3.  How can I load an avatar photo from my photobucket account?  It seems to only want to use downloaded pics from my computer. Copy & paste  the direct link Code from Photobucket. Be sure to resize the pic before uploading.
Hit the quote button in the first post from the reply page scroll down to the next post and click the include quote bottom in each of the remaining posts.
[/quote]

Thanks Smoke Walker, and just for the record, your avatar is just about the best I've ever seen.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
Not bad for a reflection Photo aye!
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »
Ok, folks, I found and installed a mod to display some text on hover. Its colors do not match the forum but I can fix that when I get some more time. But now you will be able to hover to preview a thread's contents. This only works in the "recent posts" and bord index views, not the forum index home page view. But it does work! :thumbsup:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
Its cool to have PW.. but the background is dark making it hard to read.   :)     

Can the font be upsized?  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »
Its cool to have PW.. but the background is dark making it hard to read.   :)     

Can the font be upsized?  :)

WW.

I've changed the border color from the blue, to a brownish color more closely resembling our forum theme, and made the background color lighter. I hope this helps!