Author Topic: tutorials sub-forum?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline BigHat

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
tutorials sub-forum?
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »
okay so I've seen some other forums have tutorials sections (and i don't just mean that one other forum). some were good, some were bad, and some were very good! is there a chance we can set one up? not just for self-made gear, or cooking, or stuff like that, but an overall tutorials section?

maybe i'm just full of hot air, but i'd like a tutorials section if we could...
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Re: tutorials sub-forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:40:48 PM »
I'd considered this, but...

If we make a separate section for tutorials, then you'd have tutorials on knife making posted in the same section as tutorials on how to build a beer can burner, or how to make natural cordage, etc. We have sections of the forum devoted to making knives, other outdoor gear, and bushcraft skills in place and I think that tutorials would be easier to locate and better serve our members if they are posted in the sections of the forum their content pertains to.

Still, thank you for the suggestion! If we ever do a serious restructuring of the forum layout it might be a possibility.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
Maybe give Hushnel a sticky.  He can educate all of us.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
Indeed Hushnel is a talented guy with a great deal of expertise in many crafts.

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
I understand what you're saying. I just fondly remember a tutorials page on hammock forums. now it's gone :( ... but that's another story

maybe an actual page, not a sub-forum, but maybe a link at the top to an articles/tutorials page? or maybe a submitted articles sub-forum and an "approved" articles forum... articles could range anywhere from how-to's on making stuff all the way to camp setup and so-on. I hope I'm making sense. idk, i'll shut up now, ramble over.
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:52:52 PM »
I understand what you're saying. I just fondly remember a tutorials page on hammock forums. now it's gone :( ... but that's another story

maybe an actual page, not a sub-forum, but maybe a link at the top to an articles/tutorials page? or maybe a submitted articles sub-forum and an "approved" articles forum... articles could range anywhere from how-to's on making stuff all the way to camp setup and so-on. I hope I'm making sense. idk, i'll shut up now, ramble over.

I get what you're saying. What we might be able to do is set up a sticky thread for tutorials in the general discussion section. Then anyone who has written a tutorial, or knows of one that they like, can post the link to it in that thread. This would allow the tut's to remain in their appropriate forum sections, and at the same time provide a consolidated index where all the links could be found.

Your thoughts?

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
that sounds like a great idea. that would still keep them in the right section where they belong, but make it easy for members to find tutorials. posting links in a topic vs. complete threads being double posted saves bandwidth, and being in general discussion allows for anything to go in it.

is there a bowing smiley? because you are awesome!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
that sounds like a great idea. that would still keep them in the right section where they belong, but make it easy for members to find tutorials. posting links in a topic vs. complete threads being double posted saves bandwidth, and being in general discussion allows for anything to go in it.

is there a bowing smiley? because you are awesome!

Cool, glad it sounds like a viable solution. :)

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »
just started the thread in general discussion. man work is boring today...

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

or we could just do a child board under the main 3 topics ;)
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
Could you just mark it with a special "sign" (don't know what they're called) like the thumbs up, tack, etc?  That way regardless of the forum, any tutorial thread will stand out as such...