Author Topic: Wood stove? Maybe  (Read 2579 times)

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
Wood stove? Maybe
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:05:58 AM »
Ok  got this sterno stove I traded  a different style with my  Mom for this one she liked the one I had better and I wanted this one so win win lol Anyways besides using a sterno can or an alchy  stove in it I recall though can't find it of a mod to turn this to a wood stove. Now my  first thought is to cut down a 3  pound coffee can I  got to use  as a fire pan insert any other thoughts  for it?

Got my first pop can stove I made in it for  kicks still haven't tried the stove out.

?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
Re: Wood stove? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »
Ok  got this sterno stove I traded  a different style with my  Mom for this one she liked the one I had better and I wanted this one so win win lol Anyways besides using a sterno can or an alchy  stove in it I recall though can't find it of a mod to turn this to a wood stove. Now my  first thought is to cut down a 3  pound coffee can I  got to use  as a fire pan insert any other thoughts  for it?

yeah.. put it in a priority flat rate box and send it to me :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:54 AM »
LMAO  hmmm  make me an offer  :D   
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »
I bought 4 of those at a side-of-the-road/ empty lot/ car trunk/ yard sale in NC one summer, 10 bucks for all of them.  Use wood in them.  They work great, pretty light, don't last real long.  The al. degrades from the heat.  I've burned out one and the second is on it's last legs.  Maybe you could make a little square 3 sided (to ease feeding) firebox out of tin or something.  Like metal origami. :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
I bought 4 of those at a side-of-the-road/ empty lot/ car trunk/ yard sale in NC one summer, 10 bucks for all of them.  Use wood in them.  They work great, pretty light, don't last real long.  The al. degrades from the heat.  I've burned out one and the second is on it's last legs.  Maybe you could make a little square 3 sided (to ease feeding) firebox out of tin or something.  Like metal origami. :)

I kinda had a  hunch the  aluminum wouldn't hold up so  well though may be an interesting  project to  design one up out of steel hmm

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
lol, i didnt think about the aluminum either  :-[

thanks for setting me straight max :D
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »

I kinda had a  hunch the  aluminum wouldn't hold up so  well though may be an interesting  project to  design one up out of steel hmm

I've got one made out of Stainless.  It's nice but HEAVY!  I'll post up a pic a little later.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »

I've got one made out of Stainless.  It's nice but HEAVY!  I'll post up a pic a little later.

Toying to get some kinda  mild steel and  make one up at my buddies shop in the summer look forward to seein yours