Author Topic: band saw  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
band saw
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
can any band saw be outfitted for cutting steel?

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
Re: band saw
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
It's a function of the blade and tooth configuration.  However, metal bandsaws run slower than your standard wood saw.  Some can be reconfigured (especially if you know what you are doing electrically) but it may be best to just buy a metal-cutting saw to begin with.  It's easier to cut wood on a metal saw than metal on a wood saw due to the blade speed (slower for metal than for wood).

That said, I've cut metal on wood saws plenty of times.  If you are looking for one for knifemaking, you want one that runs fairly slow.  I'm sure one of our smithys here can give you an rpm range to look for.  You will also generally want a wider blade than a wood blade.  I run mainly thinner blades for scroll work on my saws (when I had a saw).  Most of the steel-cutters have blades an inch wide instead of my 3/8 blades.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
thanks gryph

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
Trentu has a pic up of his rig. He mounted a portable metal cutting band saw to the wall. It's about the best option short of spending $1,000 or more on an industrial saw. The wood cutting saws can be modified to run slower but that's also expensive and time consuming.

I can't remember what thread it's in, but I know there's a picture of it here somewhere.

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »
I got this for 10 bucks today:

figured I'd give it a shot on the low speed with a blade from here: http://www.toolcenter.com/057_Band_saw_Blades.html
the second to last one, supposed to be a ble to handle the higher speeds of these benchtop saws.
we'll see what happens.
thanks for the replies guys.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder

Offline Red

• Maker of Sub-Par Knives
  • Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
  • Scorched Earther
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:18 AM »
for 10$ you cant go wrong man! ive been searching garage sales for over a year trying to get a good deal on a band saw :P
"Big drama next few hours.. But whatever happens, no matter what they tell you.. Don't let 'em take them chains off me.."

Offline Binalith

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »
ya, it even works!

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  I have been wondering about this for some time.  I have an old Craftsman Band saw (for wood) and was wondering about changing the blade for metal cutting.  This thread answered most of my questions.  I can't slow my rpm's down but maybe if I cut slower by not pushing the metal being cut through too fast?

What do you guys think?  Safe enough?
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »
Matt, I would think you should be ok.  Most bandsaws don't run that fast anyways.  Be sure to adjust your guide wheels and take it easy with the thick/hard stuff as you learn your machine's capabilities.

Better'n a hack saw at any rate!
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!