Author Topic: Mountain Men  (Read 67244 times)

Offline SwampHanger

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
Re: Mountain Men
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
Or....is 'neck reining' strictly a Western thing?
When growing up we always necked reined. But he might have the trained that way for pulling implements?

Offline ClovisMan

• Mill File
  • Gear Junkie
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »
Yeah at the end, they showed scenes from "NEXT SEASON"!!! Are you kidding me?? They're actually gonna make more of these shows. It's only because it's pretty much the only thing on TV on a Thursday night..LOL.
"Honey, why don't you reach around in my pocket and get yourself a handful of FATWOOD."

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #152 on: July 20, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Yeah at the end, they showed scenes from "NEXT SEASON"!!! Are you kidding me?? They're actually gonna make more of these shows. It's only because it's pretty much the only thing on TV on a Thursday night..LOL.

Does anyone know where to find out just how popular and how many viewers this backwoods charade actually generates?   I imagine the time slot and night of the week it's on has a lot to do with it, too ???
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrea.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

Does anyone know where to find out just how popular and how many viewers this backwoods charade actually generates?   I imagine the time slot and night of the week it's on has a lot to do with it, too ???
I posted the demographics a while back, but those were only the folks who took the time to vote on IMDb website, and Zap2It television guide site. I have no idea where you would find the over all stats, but it would be in the Nielsen Ratings. The on-line ratings only show the Top 10 for a given week, and it's sure not among THEM!

While I'm typing I just have to say that the most insulting thing to come out of this program was Eustace's inference that the lien and foreclosure against is property was similar to the Government confiscation of Tribal Lands. His audacity to even suggest the comparison was an insult to Native Americans.
His failure to pay his debts isn't even close......
I don't think we get smarter as we get older. We just run out of stupid things to do.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »
While I'm typing I just have to say that the most insulting thing to come out of this program was Eustace's inference that the lien and foreclosure against is property was similar to the Government confiscation of Tribal Lands. His audacity to even suggest the comparison was an insult to Native Americans.
His failure to pay his debts isn't even close......

Thank you!!  I shared your outrage when I heard that last night.  I know it's reality TV and they over-dramatize things (the examples are too numerous to bother listing, but riding his horse into town was one) but his assertion that the government was somehow after him made my blood boil.

History Channel must be hiring rejected producers from the Jerry Springer Show
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #155 on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
I watched a few episodes during the marathon yesterday and I can't say I will be watching more of it. There are so things I find wrong I can't begin to explain but I will try and paraphrse a few.

Eustace (NC)- If meat is so important for you, don't let someone else zero your damn rifle before you take it out to shoot. Oh, and pay your bills.

Tom (MT) - I actually like most of his stuff, Ellie is probably going to be eaten by wolves though.

Dude from Alaska - if your snowmobile is such a life line and you keep telling us how far away you are from medical services, don't ride it like a moron. It won't break and neither will you.

Thats all the energy I have for this show
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
I watched a few episodes during the marathon yesterday and I can't say I will be watching more of it. There are so things I find wrong I can't begin to explain but I will try and paraphrse a few.

Eustace (NC)- If meat is so important for you, don't let someone else zero your damn rifle before you take it out to shoot. Oh, and pay your bills.
He kept whining about how the 'government' was going to take his land away 'unjustly'. Give me a break! If it was a tax lien, the property wouldn't go to auction over night. There are people I know here who are 4 years behind in their taxes, and still the 'government' is only asking them to pay 2 years up front. They'll still be 2 years behind, but they'll still be on the land. Seizure/Eviction is a last resort saved for genuine dead-beats.

Tom (MT) - I actually like most of his stuff, Ellie is probably going to be eaten by wolves though.
Knowing the attitude of Montanans in general, and especially out in the sticks like The Yaak, I'm betting Tom told them he'd be on their show, but if they showed him, or Nancy in a bad light, they'd find their hides on his fleshing bench!

Dude from Alaska - if your snowmobile is such a life line and you keep telling us how far away you are from medical services, don't ride it like a moron. It won't break and neither will you.
Oh, and another thing, Marty. If you want meat for your family for the year, go buy a moose tag and fly into any of a thousand places where you can get more meat than you can fly out with in a single animal.
I've hunted Dall Sheep in the Chugach Mountains in Alaska, and that's not 'subsistence hunting', It tests every bit of your mettle, People don't hunt Dalls for meat, they hunt them just to prove they can do it, and most of the time they come up empty. When I was up there, you couldn't even shoot one unless it was a 3/4 curl ram, or better.

Thats all the energy I have for this show
I don't think we get smarter as we get older. We just run out of stupid things to do.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
He kept whining about how the 'government' was going to take his land away 'unjustly'. Give me a break! If it was a tax lien, the property wouldn't go to auction over night. There are people I know here who are 4 years behind in their taxes, and still the 'government' is only asking them to pay 2 years up front. They'll still be 2 years behind, but they'll still be on the land. Seizure/Eviction is a last resort saved for genuine dead-beats.

Exactly, and if it was upwards of 80K I can't imagine it's a tax issue.  I'm guessing he borrowed some money he couldn't pay back.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
Usless's $85,000 tax lien?  That means he has never paid any of his property tax.  It has compounded and penalized to a ridiculous amount.  I guess he figured he could go into the woods and hide and the revenuer would never find him.  Open reins?  Your not plowing a field.  Get a grip on that horse and ride like the land man you claim to be!  Geesh!

The only useful thing I have saw out of you was working that bow drill.  Must have had that in that big pouch your side kick had.  I wish they had showed him doing more fire prep.  Maybe one of the camera men had Lundin kit to give him.

Marty, Marty, why doll sheep?  Yeah its good meat, but the money you spent in aviation grade fuel you could have bought a couple sides of beef at the butcher shop!

Nancy has held a gun before.  A shotgun rocks a first time shooter much more.  I have been around enough of them to know that.  But, why the .410?  Granted its a magnum load but I don't see it doing more than peppering the bears butt.

A lot of made for TV drama if you ask me.  I will tune in next time just to see the "biker" looking dude and his story. 
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
Usless's $85,000 tax lien?  That means he has never paid any of his property tax.  It has compounded and penalized to a ridiculous amount.  I guess he figured he could go into the woods and hide and the revenuer would never find him.  Open reins?  Your not plowing a field.  Get a grip on that horse and ride like the land man you claim to be!  Geesh!
The way he was "posting" looked like a pre-teen girl on her first equestrian riding lesson at the English saddle club!
It no wonder the horse's head was going every which way, looking for threats. Useless had no control of that horse. The old saying about "keeping a tight rein" means just that. Control the horse, convey your confidence to the animal, and the horse will trust you not to take it somewhere it could get hurt.
If I were really being picky, I'd mention that Useless was shown hammering out horseshoes in his blacksmith shed. Those weren't the same shoes (with factory groves and nail holes) that ended up on the horse. The first time it showed him fitting the shoes to the hoof, they were lugged shoes made for plowing. Shoes like that on hard pavement would soon result in a lame animal. When they finally got to town, the horses were wearing "walking shoes"...flat and smooth.

The only useful thing I have saw out of you was working that bow drill.  Must have had that in that big pouch your side kick had.  I wish they had showed him doing more fire prep.  Maybe one of the camera men had Lundin kit to give him.
If you get to watch the scene again, you'll notice Useless's buddy was the one using the drill. Useless got to blow on the coal! LMAO!

Marty, Marty, why doll sheep?  Yeah its good meat, but the money you spent in aviation grade fuel you could have bought a couple sides of beef at the butcher shop!
No wonder $4,000 barely covered expenses for the year!

Nancy has held a gun before.  A shotgun rocks a first time shooter much more.  I have been around enough of them to know that.  But, why the .410?  Granted its a magnum load but I don't see it doing more than peppering the bears butt.
I'm thinking more and more that was the intention (pepper its butt). Mortally wounding, or killing a grizzly (that's not chewing on you) in Montana is not a bill you want to pay!  Some #7 or #9 shot from a .410 at 30 yds could provide some negative reinforcement to deter the bear from returning. Notice Tom went to the shop with bear spray, not a rifle.

A lot of made for TV drama if you ask me.  I will tune in next time just to see the "biker" looking dude and his story.

Offline Angerland

• Whetstone +
  • North Woodsman
    • North Woodsman
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
Thanks for helping out my post OP, that was great! Interesting how we all have the same (low) opinion of the show. Why the hell aren't we all on a show? At least it would be mstly accurate.
"We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home."

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
Thanks for helping out my post OP, that was great! Interesting how we all have the same (low) opinion of the show. Why the hell aren't we all on a show? At least it would be mstly accurate.
Following me around the chicken yard, and pulling weeds from the veggie garden wouldn't make for very high ratings!  :P
After watching Useless and his hatchet, the Producers probably wouldn't like the way I chop firewood, either.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
How intersting.........
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
LOL! This is pretty interesting.

If you Google "Tom Oar knives" (without the quotes) Blades and Bushcraft comes up half way down page 2 as a reference!!!!

If you Google "Does Tom Oar knap his own knife blades?"   B&B comes up 5th on page #1, with two threads listed!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:06:45 PM by Old Philosopher »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »

I'm surprised no one has commented on the new guy on next season's show,  looks like a madman with a foul mouth and a semi-auto pistol,  certainly someone you'd want your kids looking up to.   ???
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2012, 06:00:50 PM »
I found out why Tom and Nancy came out looking better than Marty and Useless.
Mountain Men was/is produced by a film company out of Miissoula. Hahaha!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
I just had a thought...

Is Ross Oar by any chance Tom's son?    Ross Oar is a very well known carver and carving knife maker.  I've been wracking my brain trying to remember where it said where Tom and Nancy lived before moving out there and if that might be the same local that Ross is from.   

And I was thinking on Marty's Dall Sheep hunt.    I dont know about up there in Alaska, but dont hunters have to enter a lotto or register to get in on a hunt on those animals?  And if so..  it could be that his hunt came about the same time filming was happening.   And he might have told filming crew 'come hell or high water' he was going on that hunt?   :)   

That other guy..  he just gives me the willies.  Dont like him at all.   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Buckskin

• Whetstone +
  • Jontok Bushy Approved 7-30-12
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
The only family I recall them mentioning for Tom was a daughter in Florida. 

OP since Tom shaved his beard is he the same guy you saw at the fair with the obsidian knives?
Why kill them with kindness when you can use and axe? - found on Facebook

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
Can you handle another season of this show, the commercials say starting soon.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
I did see its coming back.  I wonder if E will have paid his taxes THIS year?  *smirk*

My fave is the fella from MT..   I like him.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
OMG!  I don't really want to watch but I probably will.  It's like one of those wrecks where you just can't look away...
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
The only family I recall them mentioning for Tom was a daughter in Florida. 

OP since Tom shaved his beard is he the same guy you saw at the fair with the obsidian knives?

I seem to remember his visiting his brother,  seems they chased a cugar off the brothers ranch on horseback,  I don't remember his name though.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
I saw the latest blurb for Mountain Men way off in the distant future of a June 9th premiere.

It showed Tom splitting a round of the gnarliest, knottiest Larch (tamarack) you could imagine with his double-bit axe. Sliced through it like balsa wood.  Put a smile on my face.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »
I saw the latest blurb for Mountain Men way off in the distant future of a June 9th premiere.

It showed Tom splitting a round of the gnarliest, knottiest Larch (tamarack) you could imagine with his double-bit axe. Sliced through it like balsa wood.  Put a smile on my face.

I'm glad to hear he coming back this season,  I think he's the best of the bunch.

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
Poor old Eustace is getting railroaded every which way. There is a rumor that seems to be some kind of resort wanting his land and would boast the local tax revenue by millions. His neighbor lady had him arrested for trespassing.

Here is a link to more on Eustace. http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com/article-index/mountain-men-stars-nature-school-shut-down-by-county-officials

I have seen some wierd ways of doing things at Turtle island but this doesn't seem fair and I do believe his back taxes have been paid.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
Poor old Eustace is getting railroaded every which way. There is a rumor that seems to be some kind of resort wanting his land and would boast the local tax revenue by millions. His neighbor lady had him arrested for trespassing.

Here is a link to more on Eustace. http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com/article-index/mountain-men-stars-nature-school-shut-down-by-county-officials

I have seen some wierd ways of doing things at Turtle island but this doesn't seem fair and I do believe his back taxes have been paid.

Visit his Turtle Mountain website and you'll see just how 'poor' he ain't.  ???

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »

Fair or not Eustice is more a con man than a mountain man,  if there's an entity that will promise to pay millions in property and use tax to the local or state government Eustace is going to be out on his arse in short time.
  The USSC ruled a few years ago that a private property can be taken from one individual and given to another through Eminent Domain if it greatly adds to the community in any way,  and the taking of Turtle Island from a person who doesn't follow code or pay his taxes and turning it over to a new owner who will pay millions in taxes and add to the well being of the local economy and job prospects surely qualifies for that definition.
  While I don't agree with the constitutionality of the ruling,  it sure puts old Eustace in a pickle.  :)

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
I think Eustice is full of crap, and I hate the way the recent actions by the state are being portrayed by the media as some sort of attack by the state on the simple life of this poor old man.

The reality is that the state has no interest in stopping him from living on his land as he sees fit. What the state does have a problem with is him running a business where he has members of the public staying on his property and being housed there in exchange for payment without him complying with regulations. He has a summer camp for children on turtle Island. He was shut down because those children (or adults for that matter) are being housed in structures that are not up to code, that don't have fire exits, proper sanitation, etc. If he wants to run a business and make money, he has to comply with regulations just like everyone else.

As far as whether or not he is behind on his taxes, I'm sure they can find an accountant that can figure that out. He either paid his taxes or he didn't. The problem is that like Moe said, he is less of a mountain man and more of a conman, and is trying to hide assets, which probably got him in trouble. For example, Turtle Island in incorporated as a non-for profit. That means that while he and his staff can take a paycheck, the rest of the revenue has to be reinvested into the corporation (Turtle Island). That's very interesting considering that the corporate assets and Eustice's assets are the same. It's a clever way to get around paying income tax.

Anyway, we'll see how the tax issue works out. As far as Turtle Island being shut down for business, I say good! Better now that after a dozen kids die in a fire.

Online Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Mountain Men
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:51 PM »
I think Eustice is full of crap, and I hate the way the recent actions by the state are being portrayed by the media as some sort of attack by the state on the simple life of this poor old man.

The reality is that the state has no interest in stopping him from living on his land as he sees fit. What the state does have a problem with is him running a business where he has members of the public staying on his property and being housed there in exchange for payment without him complying with regulations. He has a summer camp for children on turtle Island. He was shut down because those children (or adults for that matter) are being housed in structures that are not up to code, that don't have fire exits, proper sanitation, etc. If he wants to run a business and make money, he has to comply with regulations just like everyone else.

As far as whether or not he is behind on his taxes, I'm sure they can find an accountant that can figure that out. He either paid his taxes or he didn't. The problem is that like Moe said, he is less of a mountain man and more of a conman, and is trying to hide assets, which probably got him in trouble. For example, Turtle Island in incorporated as a non-for profit. That means that while he and his staff can take a paycheck, the rest of the revenue has to be reinvested into the corporation (Turtle Island). That's very interesting considering that the corporate assets and Eustice's assets are the same. It's a clever way to get around paying income tax.

Anyway, we'll see how the tax issue works out. As far as Turtle Island being shut down for business, I say good! Better now that after a dozen kids die in a fire.
I've never even seem the show (no tv), but I'm for anyone that fights the system :thumbsup: 8)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »

I've never even seem the show (no tv), but I'm for anyone that fights the system :thumbsup: 8)

That's all well and good, BH, and I'm with you for the most part. But Useless isn't trying to "fight" the system, he's trying to "beat" it.   >:(

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »

That's all well and good, BH, and I'm with you for the most part. But Useless isn't trying to "fight" the system, he's trying to "beat" it.   >:(

He IS the system, or at best he is trying to play the system. It's one thing to be a mountain man. It is another to be in the business of being a mountain man. The rest of us have to pay taxes, and those who run businesses have to comply with applicable regulations. I have no interest in giving him an exemption just because he calls himself a mountain man. He wants to live a simple life-fine. No one is stopping him. He wants to make money-he has to deal with the obligations that come from it.

As Watauga County Commissioner Perry Yates pointed out, it is not Mr. Conway’s primitive methods, but rather his less primitive ones that are the problem.

Online MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
I have no dog in this fight. really doesn't matter to me , one way or the other.
I don't watch TV like many folks do. I rarely comment on TV shows. Usually it is only to ask a question or two...Which usually go unanswered...

Just seems "funny/odd" to me, that some folks have posted what they have....
Wonder where the information they use, has originated from. "Hearsay"? , TV?.
 ;)

I haven't ever even seen the show, so I can't give any "opinion" in particular to any thing that has been shown on TV.... But I am able to read what is put into the "news". And....What is written here....

I'd like to see what Eustace has to say, to answer these possible "allegations".

Otherwise... the way I see it from here...

What has been put into print here, are only possible allegations & innuendo. Or possibly, "conjecture"? Using "Conjecture", is better than "libel".
I figure this has all been "conjecture".. at least the way I read it. Hope so....
 ;)

Dunno.

Very interesting to read though.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »

Just seems "funny/odd" to me, that some folks have posted what they have....
Wonder where the information they use, has originated from. "Hearsay"? , TV?.

I'd like to see what Eustace has to say, to answer these possible "allegations".

Otherwise... the way I see it from here...

What has been put into print here, are only possible allegations & innuendo. Or possibly, "conjecture"? Using "Conjecture", is better than "libel".
I figure this has all been "conjecture".. at least the way I read it. Hope so....

It's not allegations, innuendos, or 'hearsay', MnS, it's fact. Greyhound posted a link:
http://www.trapperpredatorcaller.com/article-index/mountain-men-stars-nature-school-shut-down-by-county-officials
which you might want to read.  Otherwise, look up Eustace Conway in Wikipedia, or for a less bias biography, just Google the name.
He's a conman, and pretty much a fraud.

Online MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
Thanks Old P.,
 :)
    I will go check it out, for something to do this early AM. It will give me something to read. Hopefully it will be worth the time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

I read the article & then watched the video. I also went & read this article:
http://www.hcpress.com/news/in-light-of-turtle-island-eustace-conways-plight-state-building-code-staff-to-recommend-code-modifications-that-would-address-primitive-habitats.html

Which like the link says, the State of N.C. sent down a couple of fellas who now say they are working to get the W.County to change its' codes to help meet the situation at that T. Island preserve.

I am going to read a bit more about this man & the situation, just for Shietz & giggles, but really don't feel the need to comment any further right now.

You all have fun with it, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes this man a "conman", as was said. So far, the man was behind on his taxes, then he paid them up. He apparently was not "up to code" with certain things on his property &
it seems that before he modifies those buildings/etc., the state of N.C. & Mr. Conway are attempting to have the codes modified, before any improvement work is to be done. That seems prudent to me. Why spend moneys that are not needed to be spent, if the codes become more tolerant of the current conditions of the buildings that are the issue. Seems to me that if the state is interested in helping him get the codes modified, then they apparently see some merit in what Mr. Conway is trying to accomplish. There was supposed to be another meeting on March 11 to further address this situation , but I have not yet found anything reported on it.

Regardless, I still do not understand the "con" part yet. No need to explain, though, unless someone wants to do so. The way I see it, if he has some program that is supposed to instruct folks in primitive, old time methods of doing things, & his "preserve" is open for inspection for folks, before folks spend their $$ to go there & stay. Seems there have not been any injuries reported, he has not been "cited" before this last "code" issue, etc... Meaning.. He hasn't been "on the radar" of any authorities for his business practices that are readily apparent to me, & if folks want to go spend their $$ to stay in those conditions, as far as I am concerned, he's not running a "con" or a "scam". Those folks have every right to decide if they want to pay him or not. Unless he is not giving them what they expect to get when they pay. Or , is offering services that turn out to be something other than what he offered, then he is getting into the realm of the "con" or the "scam". He might be a "grifter", but so far, from what I have read up until now, he must be pretty good at hiding it. Unless someone can point me to where there has been complaints about his school in regard to folks not getting what they paid for...I haven't run across that type of info yet...

If ya pay $$ for something that you know about ahead of time, & then are not satisfied with your "purchase". Perhaps you should have checked into what you were paying for, before the purchase. "Caveat Emptor", I believe, is the Latin saying for "Let the buyer beware"...

As I said...No dog in the fight... I was just curious to see where the "conman" allegations & conjecture that he was running a scam came from. I haven't found it yet. I am thinkin it may be prudent to not use terms that may be considered "derogatory", or make accusations that are printed & may be used for litigation, should those words & claims be proven unfounded. right? Ya never know when someone might pursue those lines of action, unfortunately.

All is good with me on this subject, I just wanted to ask about the stuff that could possible cause a bit of trouble that could be avoided with prudent usage of terms. {hint hint...}
;)

I will just sit back & watch/read. But please, if someone has "got the goods"... fill me in on the scam, if I don't find it while I look around for it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:07:30 AM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »
There are two issues. The first one is his "conman" status. I think people are calling him that not because he has accommodations that are not up to code, but rather because of his tax evasion, and most importantly because he portrays himself as a solitary mountain man, making a living off the land, when in fact he runs a rather profitable tourist business. This so called "preserve" is just his land. He does not preserve anything. He runs summer camps for kids to the tune of $2000 a pop. I think that is the main reason people are calling him a conman. I personally also think people need to look into his non for profit status, considering that he is the beneficiary of this non for profit business. It's nothing more than a way to avoid paying income tax.

The second issue is the one of his building not being up to code. That doesn't make him a conman, it just upsets me that he is playing stupid about the situation. He runs a business on his property (granted, with a mountain man theme), he makes money from it, it is open to the public, and in particular to children. If he wants to do that, the accommodations he provides have to be up to code. The fact that no one has dies there yet does not make it okay. There is a reason we have building codes, fire codes, and sanitation regulations. I would be very upset if the state changes their codes. It's fine if he wants to live in such conditions, but at the point where he is running a business, and has children there for extended periods of time, he needs to put in a fire exit.

Imagine that instead of the current headlines reading ?Mountain Man Takes on Building Codes?, it read ?After the State Department Failed to Act, a Dozen Children Were Killed in a Building Collapse at Turtle Island?. What would we be saying then? Child mortality-authentic 19th century living!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »
There are two issues. The first one is his "conman" status. I think people are calling him that not because he has accommodations that are not up to code, but rather because of his tax evasion, and most importantly because he portrays himself as a solitary mountain man, making a living off the land, when in fact he runs a rather profitable tourist business. This so called "preserve" is just his land. He does not preserve anything. He runs summer camps for kids to the tune of $2000 a pop. I think that is the main reason people are calling him a conman. I personally also think people need to look into his non for profit status, considering that he is the beneficiary of this non for profit business. It's nothing more than a way to avoid paying income tax.

The second issue is the one of his building not being up to code. That doesn't make him a conman, it just upsets me that he is playing stupid about the situation. He runs a business on his property (granted, with a mountain man theme), he makes money from it, it is open to the public, and in particular to children. If he wants to do that, the accommodations he provides have to be up to code. The fact that no one has dies there yet does not make it okay. There is a reason we have building codes, fire codes, and sanitation regulations. I would be very upset if the state changes their codes. It's fine if he wants to live in such conditions, but at the point where he is running a business, and has children there for extended periods of time, he needs to put in a fire exit.

Imagine that instead of the current headlines reading ?Mountain Man Takes on Building Codes?, it read ?After the State Department Failed to Act, a Dozen Children Were Killed in a Building Collapse at Turtle Island?. What would we be saying then? Child mortality-authentic 19th century living!

QFT.
I would humbly add "show-boater" to the list. The fanfare of riding his horses into town to make his court appearance, as if he was so poor he didn't own a car, and couldn't afford gas was an over the top publicity stunt.

Online MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »
I understand. Apparently, the term "conman" was being used in place of "scofflaw".
Since not paying ones property taxes on time, could certainly be interpreted as scoffing the law. The non compliance with building codes might also be included as one being a "scofflaw" also. Although I wonder, "Why, after being there for 26 years, was there no citations issued regarding his non compliant structures before he got the TV show gig?", and also, "Why weren't these "violations" not so much of a concern for the county in those past 26 years, since it is likely the tax assessor had been there to assess the property taxes for those same structures over those same 26 years." I am also thinking that N.C. has "grandfather" laws regarding building codes, which may also create an issue. If all he did was repair & do maintenance on old "grandfathered" structures, he may well have been within the law in some cases. Building new structures or adding to existing ones would certainly change that "grandfather" status, for at least the new structures or additions. Interesting, but only to a point. I don't care about his situation much, I care more that folks do not create unnecessary grief, like possibly saying(writing) words that may create a bad situation for certain domain names. I am pretty sure ya get my drift, don't ya? I am not defending Conway, but I would defend B&B, if I can.
 ;)

I am thinking that some of ya just plain dislike the man, simple as that. And fair enough...I understand that all too well myself. Human nature. Although I think many folks likely would not have given a whit about him if they had not seen that TV series. His property issues likely would not be subject of discussion here either. But, since they are being discussed, I will withdraw, since other than my caring a bit about B&B, I really don't  wish to give this subject any more of my time. other than perhaps to just read it.

BTW, Old P., I agree with ya, he was "showboating", why not? He was on TV! Seems to me that lots of people "act up" & "showboat" when they are on TV, particularly if they think they may gain something for it.
 ;)

Have fun with the subject, & thanks for taking the time to explain your words to me. I understand much better now.

EDIT: tried to fix a sentence or two. Typing one handed at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:09:59 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »
I think the reason why he has gotten so much attention and done so in a bad way is that he insists on playing the innocent, confused victim role. If all he had said was "yes, I make good money running a business on my land, and it's great that I can make money doing what I love." everyone would have understood. Similarly, if he had just said "I didn't realize that I had broken regulations, and will try to correct them." that would have been it. However, he starts doing the media circuit and holding press conferences pretending to be a confused simpleton who is being taken advantage of by the state and not being allowed to live his simple life. That is so far away from the truth, that it annoys people, including me. I think the example OP gave of him riding his horse into town encompasses the the reasons why he rubs people the wrong way.

Online MnSportsman

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Lean do chosain fein!
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
I think the reason why he has gotten so much attention and done so in a bad way is that he insists on playing the innocent, confused victim role. If all he had said was "yes, I make good money running a business on my land, and it's great that I can make money doing what I love." everyone would have understood. Similarly, if he had just said "I didn't realize that I had broken regulations, and will try to correct them." that would have been it. However, he starts doing the media circuit and holding press conferences pretending to be a confused simpleton who is being taken advantage of by the state and not being allowed to live his simple life. That is so far away from the truth, that it annoys people, including me. I think the example OP gave of him riding his horse into town encompasses the the reasons why he rubs people the wrong way.

Very good..& I concur.
 :thumbsup:

I am pretty sure he is not an idiot. As I get more info, I understand more. The "Player" personna ,  begins to appear..
 ;)

Does it really matter here? Nah.. no worries..

Regardless, Thnx WT, & Old P. for your helping me understand your views.
 :D

IOW.."Over & out"...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »

I stand by my observation that he's a "conman" and has been for awhile. "Conman" is short for "confidence man", which is someone who deceitfully gains the confidence of others for his own selfish gain. That pretty much describes what WT is saying above.

He certainly snowed the heck out of Elizabeth Gilbert when she wrote the article about him for GO Magazine in 1998.

No, I don't like the man. I don't like his way of doing business, nor his way of presenting himself to his customers, or the public. He's a 'legend in his own mind', and will lie his butt off to perpetuate that persona.

I won't even bother to edit the footnotes out of this Wiki profile:
He has claims to have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail and claims to have set the world record for crossing the United States on horseback from the Atlantic to the Pacific. However, according to the New York Times and Los Angeles Times of the day, as well as the book, Bud & Me, the record for crossing the North American continent on horseback was actually done in 62 days. This journey was made by Bud and Temple Abernathy, aged 11 and 7, who rode 3,619 miles (5,824 km) from New York to San Francisco on an equestrian journey, which started in August, 1911.[1][2][3][4]

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Back On Topic.....

There's a marathon of Mountain Men going on right now. Just discovered it.

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
Back On Topic.....

There's a marathon of Mountain Men going on right now. Just discovered it.

I just finished watching the marathon. Good stuff.
Makes one thirsty for the new season.
www.SurvivalistBaseCamp.com
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." Emiliano Zapata

Offline hunter63

• Whetstone +
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
It's  TV show, folks.....like 2 dudes and a kid or what ever it is....Vote with your remote, or better yet, turn it off and go out a split some wood.

I did watch last nite as I have plenty of fake jewelry, don't need a new bra, the Muffin Top one was funny.........Stora ge Wars was repeats as well.
But I do question braving the wolves, to cut one tree, to last a month.....LOL, LOL, LOL
The more you know, the less you have to carry...or get a bigger truck

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
I saw that the marathon was being aired, but I just couldn't go through the agony of watching it a second time! :P  :doh:

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »
I saw that the marathon was being aired, but I just couldn't go through the agony of watching it a second time! :P  :doh:

LOL!
I just caught bits of it during it's initial run.
This was the first time that I can say I saw it.
Still, it's better than most of what's on TV today.
It's a much better soap opera than Wrestling!

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
I watched a few episodes last night.

I found it really corny and scripted. I also felt that it made the "actors" look like total asshats.

Shame really. I think that any one if these folks would be great to grab a beer with, well........except for that Useless from NC.

I had it on and my bride got hooked into watching about 17 minutes if an episode. She finally blurted, "This is ridiculous!".

Yeah........totally ridiculous!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:25:30 PM by Mr. Tettnanger »

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
I watched a few episodes last night.

I found it really corny and scripted. I also felt that it made the "actors" look like total asshats.

Shame really. I think that any one if these folks would be great to grab a beer worth, well........except for that Useless from NC.

I had it on and my bride got hooked into watching about 17 minutes if an episode. She finally blurted, "This is ridiculous!".

Yeah........totally ridiculous!

[Bridezillas. Don't watch it. It's hard to turn off once you stumble upon it. You've been warned!  8) ]

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
After making my post, I turned it on. I came in right where Useless was chewing the kid out for not sighting in the rifle right. I also noticed there were at least 2, maybe 3 different rifles in that sequence.

I switched to Cartoon Network and watched a repeat of American Dad..... :-\

Offline Yankee

• Whetstone +
  • I love this forum
    • Survivalist Base Camp
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
EUSTICE IS THE REAL DEAL!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:30:01 AM by Yankee »

Offline Wood Trekker

• Water Stone
    • Wood Trekker
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
At the same time Mountain Men airs, there is a show on Nat Geo called Extreme Survival Alaska. It's not the greatest, but it's much better than Mountain Men.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
So far, LIFE BELOW ZERO has seemed the least contrived of all the series in this genre, as far as I'm concerned. :P