Author Topic: After many years of leather work I just finished my first tack related repair  (Read 2576 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
    • Barclay Customs
I didn't even know what this was for, when my neighbor asked if I could fix it for her. It was a very simple repair, but I'm excited about being able to help her out, and it ain't going to hurt me any letting my neighbors in this part of horse country know I can do this kind of stuff.

All I did was replace a ripped bridal strap, the tear in the strap indicated that she over oiled it, weakening the leather. I explained this to her and gave her some of my leather wax that limits the amount of oil released into the leather.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:55:55 AM by hushnel »

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Nice going, a handy neighbor is a great neighbor to have around  8)
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Dano

• Diamond Stone
Cool that you were able to help her...she'll be a great person to help build a new niche!

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
Nice.  Wow.  Takes me back to boyhood days of cleaning tack at the track.  I can smell it right now....not a bad memory.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Looks great, I'm sure she will be pleased with the fix!

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
Great job on the bridle strap Hushnel!
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
Thanks, I was at the County Line last week and my dear friend Glen told me to let him know when I'm ready to start working, he has a lot of custom leather jobs lined up for me. But before I get to the biker crowd I want to take care of my horse owning neighbors first.

Talked to Animal today, we have a mutual friend who is going to move some of his metal working stuff into the shop, lathes, milling machines his Bridgport and a few other tools. He has a couple of old Indians that he needs to restore and we're making room for them too. And letting us use one of his old hit and miss engines to have as a backup to the well motor or for a wood mill or how ever we want to rig it, maybe pick up one of the old washing machines and run it with the old hit-miss.

Next trip my forge, anvil and blacksmithing tools go up, along with the potters wheel and kiln.

By this time next month I should be totally moved up and ready to work.

Offline Saintnick001

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
  • Bushcrafter and pumpkin carver extraordinaire
    • Portfolio of Nick Grohs
Sounds like you wont have much time to rest when you retire Hush. You've put together some cool stuff while working full time. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do now that you are free.
"Well, at least it's not a femur through the pelvis."

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
Cool, I just learned something, didn't know you could over oil leather, but I also haven't done much leather oiling either.
Take it easy,
Red

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
    • Barclay Customs
Thanks Nick. I'm working on some crazy stuff at the moment.

Oiling leather has to be done sparingly, leather is fibrous and too much oil can work to release the bonds that hold the fiber together. A little Neetsfoot oil goes a long way, soaking the leather, particularly a strap that will be highly tensioned, can cause failure.

Well oiled means a proper amount rather than a lot of oil. Also you don't need to coat every inch of surface with the oil, the oil will soak in over a day or so and distribute itself rather evenly. I mix up beeswax and Neetsfoot oil, with a few other natural additives, into a stiff past, you can totally cover the leather with the wax and it will slowly release the oil over time, plus protect the surface of the leather from moisture and strong direct sunlight.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:37:04 PM by hushnel »

Offline Wounded Thumb

• Whetstone +
Thank you sir
Take it easy,
Red